Do You Think Games Will Benefit from Haswell E?

X-powerman

Banned
Reaction score
Its coming out end of this month, but I am wondering if there are any benefits in investing in it for gaming. Cause previous generations (SBE, IBE) all show hardly any improvements, so I wonder if HE will have any difference.

Perhaps the biggest change will be DDR4 instead. However, looking at the specs of DDR4 I have doubts whether 1st generation of DDR4 is any faster than DDR3. Cause the latency of DDR4 is rather high (around 13 compared to 11 for DDR3). Then clockspeed is the same (2133MHz) as well. The only other main difference is the lower voltage but it does not affect performance.

So, I wonder if its worth investing in HE for gaming (just for gaming), not apps that benefit from multi-cores.

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It's a must have

if you already have quad-SLI 780ti

haylui

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
get SBE or IBE will do. DDR4 cost can let you get higher end card if you just get DDR3 platform.

Yureak

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Its coming out end of this month, but I am wondering if there are any benefits in investing in it for gaming. Cause previous generations (SBE, IBE) all show hardly any improvements, so I wonder if HE will have any difference.

Perhaps the biggest change will be DDR4 instead. However, looking at the specs of DDR4 I have doubts whether 1st generation of DDR4 is any faster than DDR3. Cause the latency of DDR4 is rather high (around 13 compared to 11 for DDR3). Then clockspeed is the same (2133MHz) as well. The only other main difference is the lower voltage but it does not affect performance.

So, I wonder if its worth investing in HE for gaming (just for gaming), not apps that benefit from multi-cores.

its not even worth getting a 4790k over a 4690k u say leh :s13:

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Totally not worth it.

DDR 4 will cost a bomb during launch. Which can buy a new gpu.

Only go for that if you are going for 4k gaming.

Which will be needed if you wanna fit in 4way SLI or Xfire.

Anything with 3 or more GPU you will need the CPU power in order to not get bottleneck.

Else you are better off with i5-4XXX k or non k.

garfield82

Master Member
Reaction score
Save your money
Eat popcorns
See the early adopters showoff threads.
See the results
Check your wallet again

wkweewee

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Haha you should have paraphrased that the biggest difference btw ddr3 and ddr4 right now is the number at the end of the acronym. I loled at the numbers when I divide them hahaha. I heard that 5960x might have a lower base clock frequency as compared to the current 4960x as intel wants to draw a difference between high frequency power users vs high core/threads power users. Anyway all these doesn't matter to any hardcore enthusiasts haha.

Last edited:
Reaction score
imho...
no point upgrading CPU now...
must wait for console to hit their ceiling first.
then cpu and gpu on pc will catch up and surpass them.
then upgrade.

dreadknight

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
current and most games dont benefit from such things

but if you are early adopter, pls do so... it helps to make future iterations cheaper for us :s8:

i'll wait till 2 gens after HE before i swap my IB for whatever then

cenedra

Banned
Reaction score
Games generally don't benefit much from increased cpu power. Just ask urself, is there even any game in the market right now now that will max out a sandy bridge cpu?

Might as well spend the money to upgrade ur gpu, at least that will have much more noticeable benefits.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.