Which Graphics card to buy in Y2024

Tuatha Mordred

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I've read quite a bit of this very-informative thread, and I seek the advice of all the gurus out there.

My GeForce 8500 GT recently gave me some problems. Driver installation leads to a black screen at startup. I've given up on trying to figure out what's wrong, cos it's probably time for an upgrade anyway.

I play some graphic-intensive games like Fallout 3, Medieval 2: Total War, Oblivion, etc.. This is the first heavy-duty GPU I'm purchasing, so I'm aiming for a mid-to-high range. Nothing too high-end.

Basically, I want to be able to play Fallout3/M2TW with all eye-candy turned on with unit-size on HUGE. I don't know if this is possible with only a mid-to-high card.

I seem to have misplaced my box with all the details, manuals and receipts so I can't quite tell you what my specs are. Unless someone teaches me a way how. I don't mind prying open my casing to dig for details.

Off memory, I'm running a core-2-duo processor at 2.6 GHZ. Is that a 2.6g for each of the two? I'm a noob with this things. I'm running Vista Home Premium with SP1 installed. I've got 2 sticks of 2Gig RAM (though only 3.5gig is detected at the My Computer -> Properties screen), so I doubt RAM will be a bottleneck.

I'm unsure if my motherboard can handle the new GPU. I'm also unsure about my PSU too. My budget is $250 thereabouts.

After reading, it seems the HD4850 is a hot pick, considering its price and "weight category". The only downside I keep hearing about is that it has got heat issues. I'm also concerned about space, since the pics I see puts it as considerably larger than my current 8500GT. If you do recommend the HD4850, which make should I go with to ensure I account for the heat issues, and what is its price?

Gurus, please advise. :)

PS: I'm a noob, but I'm a fast learner. If you could kindly include and elaborate the thought process and argument behind your advice, it will be greatly appreciated.

cnt

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
can consider hd4770. 5-10% slower den 4850 but run cooler :s42:

Tuatha Mordred

Reaction score
Hi cnt, thanks for responding.

I don't hear much about the HD 4770. I'm sticking to the safe bet here, and HD 4850 gets a lot of recommendations from many people in this thread. I'm kinda set on the HD 4850, unless I get to jump to HD 4870 for a reasonable price increase.

I just did a pricelist check, narrowing it down to just PC Themes (my usual shop) and Tradepac (they seem to have better prices).

Both shops offer Palit, ASUS, Leadtek, MSI, XFX, Manli etc.. Since I only keep hearing of Palit, I narrowed it down to just Palit, ASUS (for the 3-yr guarantee) and Manli (cheapest).

Also, I'm only considering 512MB versus the 1Gig variant, since I'm using a 19inch LCD monitor which runs only up to 1440x900. I read somewhere that you only really need more than 512MB when you run really high resolutions. Somebody confirm this for me?

All prices below are for the HD 4850 512MB (unless stated otherwise)

PC Themes:
Palit - SGD219
Palit Sonic - SGD239
Palit HD 4870 Sonic - SGD289
ASUS EAH(non-ref) - SGD249 what does "EAH(non-ref)" mean?
Manli - SGD189

Tradepac:
Palit - SGD218
ASUS - SGD249
Manli - SGD185

These are the latest pricelists available as of this post.

I'm inclined to discount Manli altogether. Just did a google search on them, and it's a China-based company. No offence, but I just have little faith in China-made products right now. Comments?

I'm interested in this Sonic thing. Apparently, for about SGD20 more, you get to enjoy a significant boost to performance. If this is true, then Sonic is for me. Comments?

And since I'm considering Sonic, turns out I only have to add another SGD50 to get myself a HD 4870 Sonic. I'm thinking, wow... That has got to be quite a deal. Is this too good to be true? Can someone explain if I'm missing something?

But if I'm not considering the Sonic, I'll go with ASUS for the 3-year warranty. I don't know how long a warranty Palit gives.

So with all that, I'm currently favouring:
1) Palit HD4870 Sonic @ SGD289
2) Palit HD4850 Sonic @ SGD239
3) Palit HD4850 @ SGD219
*) ASUS HD4850 @ SGD249 if someone can convince me warranty is something to pay money for

Looking forward to any responses. I think I'm popping by SLS tmr, Saturday.

cnt

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thts is becos 4770 just came out abt 2 weeks. u shld ask ard 1st b4 u buy. go post a thread in main forum n u know wat i mean :s42:

adrianlee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi cnt, thanks for responding.

I don't hear much about the HD 4770. I'm sticking to the safe bet here, and HD 4850 gets a lot of recommendations from many people in this thread. I'm kinda set on the HD 4850, unless I get to jump to HD 4870 for a reasonable price increase.

I just did a pricelist check, narrowing it down to just PC Themes (my usual shop) and Tradepac (they seem to have better prices).

Both shops offer Palit, ASUS, Leadtek, MSI, XFX, Manli etc.. Since I only keep hearing of Palit, I narrowed it down to just Palit, ASUS (for the 3-yr guarantee) and Manli (cheapest).

Also, I'm only considering 512MB versus the 1Gig variant, since I'm using a 19inch LCD monitor which runs only up to 1440x900. I read somewhere that you only really need more than 512MB when you run really high resolutions. Somebody confirm this for me?

All prices below are for the HD 4850 512MB (unless stated otherwise)

PC Themes:
Palit - SGD219
Palit Sonic - SGD239
Palit HD 4870 Sonic - SGD289
ASUS EAH(non-ref) - SGD249 what does "EAH(non-ref)" mean?
Manli - SGD189

Tradepac:
Palit - SGD218
ASUS - SGD249
Manli - SGD185

These are the latest pricelists available as of this post.

I'm inclined to discount Manli altogether. Just did a google search on them, and it's a China-based company. No offence, but I just have little faith in China-made products right now. Comments?

I'm interested in this Sonic thing. Apparently, for about SGD20 more, you get to enjoy a significant boost to performance. If this is true, then Sonic is for me. Comments?

And since I'm considering Sonic, turns out I only have to add another SGD50 to get myself a HD 4870 Sonic. I'm thinking, wow... That has got to be quite a deal. Is this too good to be true? Can someone explain if I'm missing something?

But if I'm not considering the Sonic, I'll go with ASUS for the 3-year warranty. I don't know how long a warranty Palit gives.

So with all that, I'm currently favouring:
1) Palit HD4870 Sonic @ SGD289
2) Palit HD4850 Sonic @ SGD239
3) Palit HD4850 @ SGD219
*) ASUS HD4850 @ SGD249 if someone can convince me warranty is something to pay money for

Looking forward to any responses. I think I'm popping by SLS tmr, Saturday.
Alamak, "everybody" is talking about HD4770. 19" LCD, HD4770 can liao. Research fail

Your research on Manli also fail. Try search Manli+Sapphire. Most GCs are made in China :)

And since you are considering Sonic, turns out you only have to add another SGD50 to get yourself a HD 4870 1GB Sonic. (Assuming you will upgrade for LCD to 22" or 24")'

TerorBlaze

Master Member
Reaction score
Would prefer the HD4770 over the HD4850 myself. ;)

HD4850 Not really worth the price increase over the 4770

batuchka

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Well the HD4770 is good to go for 1650 x 1050 and for this resolution 1GB video RAM is not needed and the premium one pays for it is unjustified for me

adrianlee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@Tuatha Mordred

PowerColor HD4870 512M DDR5 @ $259... 20pcs only
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/showthread.php?t=2366930

Current HD4770 only comes with 512MB, any idea 1GB will be out? :look:

XFX Readying 1GB Radeon HD 4770
CrossFireX 4770 1GB will be :s22::s22::s22:

79a.jpg

KURATA

Reaction score
XFX HD 4770 1GB, anyone have any idea how much it will cost? :)
Only XFX will have this version?

bleuaway

Reaction score
My desktop is running the following specs:-

AMD PHENOM II X3 HDX710
ASUS M4A78-EM
TEAM ELITE DDR2 800 4 GIG
SEASONIC 430W
COOLER MASTER C310

I am currently runnung the IGP ati radeon 3200, but faces the ATI CCC VPU recovery problem. While playing FM 2009, Fifa 09 or Pro Evo Soccer, my com always crash after the VPU window prompts.

FYI, the desktop is brand new, only assembled 3 days ago.

What kind of graphics card do you guys recommend? (would prefer non-ati card)

Thanks in advance.

Dr.Vijay

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Depends on how much you're willing to spend, but judging by your PSU, it's recommended to go not more than better mid-range cards. So perhaps a GeForce GTS 250 or thereabout.

AMD PHENOM II X3 HDX710
ASUS M4A78-EM
SEASONIC 430W
COOLER MASTER C310

I am currently runnung the IGP ati radeon 3200, but faces the ATI CCC VPU recovery problem. While playing FM 2009, Fifa 09 or Pro Evo Soccer, my com always crash after the VPU window prompts.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score

AMD PHENOM II X3 HDX710
ASUS M4A78-EM
SEASONIC 430W
COOLER MASTER C310

Thanks in advance.

seasonic 430Watt 12v 360watt

u can buy 4870 512mb gts 250 4850 512mb

Jimmy_Ho

Master Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend me the cheapest single graphic card that can play Crysis 1.2 smoothly? (above 60fps always at 1440x900, high settings, 4xAA)

Since this is a 20month old game 2 graphic card generation has passed and considering i am running at the low resolution. Should be easy for todays gpu rite? I dont need something really high end. Just able to do the above requirement.

noinimod

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend me the cheapest single graphic card that can play Crysis 1.2 smoothly? (above 60fps always at 1440x900, high settings, 4xAA)

Since this is a 20month old game 2 graphic card generation has passed and considering i am running at the low resolution. Should be easy for todays gpu rite? I dont need something really high end. Just able to do the above requirement.
LOL WUT? No way jose. Sorry to burst your bubble, but for a 20 month old game Crysis still eats up almost all video cards. Heck, even 2x card configs don't handle Crysis all that great :s13:

Jimmy_Ho

Master Member
Reaction score
LOL WUT? No way jose. Sorry to burst your bubble, but for a 20 month old game Crysis still eats up almost all video cards. Heck, even 2x card configs don't handle Crysis all that great :s13:

This is sad. Looks like after one whole year the latest 4890/gtx285 are only showing 10-20% improvements over 4870/ gtx280 Maybe i will just have to wait for next generation to arrive.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.