Help to troubleshoot Frequent Hang/ Freeze

dolphinv

Reaction score
Hi bros,
I would get frequent hang/ freeze almost on a daily occurrence. It would happen at random times. It can happen during games, browsing and even basic tasks when the monitor turned off and computer is left to download stuff. This happen recently without any hardware and software changes(suspect failing hardware more than windows bug).
When computer hangs, keyboard and mouse is unresponsive and unable to press ctrl+alt+delete. The display would still output the stuck screen and would require hard reboot. also doubt is usb related issue as when i plug a flash drive in the usb port when hang, nothing responds

NO BSOD notice. As well as whocrashed logs.

SPECS:
MSI 870A-G54
AMD Phenom II x4 955
WD Black (2 years old still under warranty)
Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 (2 years old rmaed)
AMD Radeon 6950
Silverstone PSU 500W
Windows 10 pro X64bit (installed since January)

THINGS I HAVE CHECKED:
RAM: ran memtest86+ 1 pass no problem detected.
HDD: CrystalDiskInfo Shows disk health good. Also ran Data Lifeguard Diagnostics from WD website.
GPU: ran furmark stress test. no problem max temp 78 degrees.
CPU: Ran prime95 stress test max temp 58 degrees
desktop temps : using CPUID when idle less than 40 degrees.
Windows: Ran sfc/scannow and it has checked windows already and fixed any prevailing problem. also ran virus scan with no issues.
Drivers: all drivers up to date and even used device manager and manually check that all drivers are up to date.

possible things that i have yet to check (not 100% sure how to check also)

1) Power supply failing?
2) Motherboard failing?
3) keyboard, mouse causing problems??? (not sure if possible). mouse used over 2 years, keyboard over 3 months.

any help will be appreciated bro. If unable to determine , might consider buying new PSU first then cpu+mobo combo.

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Download HDTune and scan for bad sectors (don't check Quick scan).

dolphinv

Reaction score
Download HDTune and scan for bad sectors (don't check Quick scan).
Thanks for the reply bro. Tested with HDTune perfectly fine HDD. So that one is out.
SlQjTDm.png

kLNqW6n.png

Bumps any other ideas

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If got 2 pcs of ram, remove one and see if freeze occurs?
If so, swap and monitor.

dolphinv

Reaction score
Replace PSU?
any definitive signs that it might be psu? based on your experience etc. cause i dont have spare and would need to purchase one to confirm though.

may be ram issue. Do monitor your ram usage.
ram usage always less than 40 %. i dont heavy game etc.
reseat your rams and gfx card ????
have just done both. but i personally dont think its either as i have used memtest 86+ and furmark to test. any idea?
If got 2 pcs of ram, remove one and see if freeze occurs?
If so, swap and monitor.
will see if still hang today. if it does will try your suggestion. but based on memtest86+ no error. previously i rmaed the ram before and last time within few minutes of running the test, memtest showed many error for both sticks

Thanks bros for helping

-Synchronicity-

Reaction score
Would you be able to describe more of the freezing problem? Would your pc hang if you just afk and leave it running for 30mins? Is your win 10 a clean install or an upgrade? The freeze happened recently or has been frequent since jan(wow)

Had something similar this month when i upgraded to win 10. However when my pc froze, i am still able to move my mouse but am not able to do anything else like open task manager or click on the windows button. Will need to know if you are experiencing. The same thing

Kennedy

Master Member
Reaction score
if it is random with no clear patterns, likely to be rams issue. try to get other rams to troubleshoot even if the current rams passed the MemTest86.

dolphinv

Reaction score
Would you be able to describe more of the freezing problem? Would your pc hang if you just afk and leave it running for 30mins? Is your win 10 a clean install or an upgrade? The freeze happened recently or has been frequent since jan(wow)

Had something similar this month when i upgraded to win 10. However when my pc froze, i am still able to move my mouse but am not able to do anything else like open task manager or click on the windows button. Will need to know if you are experiencing. The same thing

1) it would freeze even when i afk to torrent with screen off. i.e mouse and keyboard not touched. only background process of torrent etc.
2) nope my freeze is literally the screen cannot move. all keys cannot be pressed, mouse cannot be moved and any input devices such as usb will not appear. the screen would be unable to change the frozen image at all and would require a reboot. Also, when sound is played through the speakers that would be a high pitch sound coming from it. (i checked and its not the hardware parts that made the sound as its not present when speaker muted.)
3)mine is an upgrade from windows 7 ultimate.
Started from around 2weeks back only, very recently. doubt it is software problem though.
if it is random with no clear patterns, likely to be rams issue. try to get other rams to troubleshoot even if the current rams passed the MemTest86.
thanks. so far yesterday no freeze yet. (fingers crossed).

Anyway thanks for the response.

reignytion

Reaction score
Hi, I had exactly the same problem as you. Mouse keyboard hard locked up, display still on but not responding, sound goes on loop (super horrible sounding) but everything still powered on. I did all the diagnostic tests etc and found nothing as well, so gave up and tried bringing to Nigel's shop. He tested and said mobo problem/ psu not stable, try to rma. I took his advice into consideration but decided to bring back to the shop I purchased the parts from.

They tried diagnosing for 1week also nothing, no hang no freeze, after running all the tests. In the end they just change my ram just in case and I just brought it back with nothing else done.

That was 2 weeks ago. For some reason, the rig has been stable ever since with computer turned on for 14-15 hours a day. Previously it could have froze 5/6 times a day.
Things I changed :
1. Flashed bios to latest version -change log was "stability improvement" (asus h170 pro gaming mobo)
2. 2 sticks of RAM
3. My power extension strip (just in case)
4. I unplugged my USB connected printer(this might have been the problem, not sure).
The rig has not had a hard freeze ever since. I'm not sure whether my experience with this problem would assist you but I hope it guides you somewhat lol.

ksrokiller

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi, I had exactly the same problem as you. Mouse keyboard hard locked up, display still on but not responding, sound goes on loop (super horrible sounding) but everything still powered on. I did all the diagnostic tests etc and found nothing as well, so gave up and tried bringing to Nigel's shop. He tested and said mobo problem/ psu not stable, try to rma. I took his advice into consideration but decided to bring back to the shop I purchased the parts from.

They tried diagnosing for 1week also nothing, no hang no freeze, after running all the tests. In the end they just change my ram just in case and I just brought it back with nothing else done.

That was 2 weeks ago. For some reason, the rig has been stable ever since with computer turned on for 14-15 hours a day. Previously it could have froze 5/6 times a day.
Things I changed :
1. Flashed bios to latest version -change log was "stability improvement" (asus h170 pro gaming mobo)
2. 2 sticks of RAM
4. I unplugged my USB connected printer(this might have been the problem, not sure).
The rig has not had a hard freeze ever since. I'm not sure whether my experience with this problem would assist you but I hope it guides you somewhat lol.

Changed ram is it the same model? When you get hard freeze does it reboot when u press reset button

reignytion

Reaction score
Changed ram is it the same model? When you get hard freeze does it reboot when u press reset button

Yup exactly the same set of 2x8gb corsair vengeance 2400mhz. I have to hold the power button to get it to turn off then press again to turn it back on.

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
base on TS issues, have u tried removing your gpu to onboard and see if the issues still there or not for the freezing/hang issues?

but i would advise if u can bring it down to SLS and look for nigel to see if he could help u test ur component with other parts, b4 considering getting another mobo or psu.

dolphinv

Reaction score
base on TS issues, have u tried removing your gpu to onboard and see if the issues still there or not for the freezing/hang issues?
sorry bro, my cpu too old no integrated graphics.
but i would advise if u can bring it down to SLS and look for nigel to see if he could help u test ur component with other parts, b4 considering getting another mobo or psu.

Things I changed :
2. 2 sticks of RAM

thanks for the reply.
my mobo no new bios. and i dont use extension.
will wait and see and update if problem persists.

dolphinv

Reaction score
update: last night the computer froze twice again. Happened when only chrome browser was in use with about 6-8 tabs. This was after reseating ram, graphic card etc. So not very sure of cause. But anyway thanks for replies.

ksrokiller

Master Member
Reaction score
update: last night the computer froze twice again. Happened when only chrome browser was in use with about 6-8 tabs. This was after reseating ram, graphic card etc. So not very sure of cause. But anyway thanks for replies.

Does it reboot when you pressed the reset button?

MacClipper

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
RAM: ran memtest86+ 1 pass no problem detected.
Inadequate testing.

Also make sure the core unlocking option is not enabled in the BIOS cos not sure if the MSI BIOs is stable enough if accidentally enabled, most brands aren't.

HTH

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.