How to upgrade ECS motherboard BIOS for Windows 8.1?

killerslayer92

Reaction score
anyone has an ECS motherboard and upgrade the BIOS to support windows 8.1? can explain how u do?

my current one cant detect 8.1 and the instructions on the website are terrible.

ArcticCheetah

Banned
Reaction score
Depends if they have a UEFI firmware then your Windows can be installed in GPT mode if not too bad and don't bother just use.

ArcticCheetah

Banned
Reaction score
it has a fancy use interface like asus and msi. is that UEFI?

what is GPT?
UEFI enables fast booting without the old legacy bios blink and slow initialization code. But this is just a subset of what UEFI does, but to casual users it is what UEFI advantage is.
GPT is the new partition scheme that enables multipartition booting without using the chain loading extended partition hack.

hlots123

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The exe always extract to a temp folder before running just sayin, I only came across a few exe with the BIOS embedded inside those are rare.
looking at the pics below (step3), looks like after unzip the dl file, they run cpuevo2.exe for the bios update...

killerslayer92

Reaction score
fyi i installed the bios and managed to get windows 8.1 running FINALLY.

things i hv learned
1) ECS manuals are too low res to find the ME_UNLOCK pins
2) ECS mobo are very troublesome to upgrade BIOS (I have nvr encountered a mobo that needs jumpers to upgrade BIOS)
3) I needed to have another HDD with windows installed just to run the EXE file to upgrade the BIOS. The instructions clearly assumed that anyone who used DOS mode would be a pro and neglected those who are not pros that just want to install windows on a formatted HDD with no OS

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.