Intel possible 6-cores mainstream CPU is coming in AUGUST 2017

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It is.

But still not enough to make a big dent to Intel. They are still superior in single threaded.
In the short run, I don't expect Ryzen to do much damage to Intel. But you simply cannot ignore the value proposition that comes with it. Intel may reign supreme in single threaded application, but in a workstation/ server, I believe the extra cores will definitely have a leg up against Intel chips at similar price points.

Encrypted11

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It is.

But still not enough to make a big dent to Intel. They are still superior in single threaded.

However if Ryzen improved their IPC by as small as 10% and bump their clock to match Kaby Lake. That is. The bump in clock speed can be done with better 14nm node, so that make it even easier.

They will win both ST / MT performance and topple the holy blue.

Summit ridge can't do much damage to Intel. I think people are overestimating the DIY desktop impact when shipments are very small compared to laptop shipments. Take the IT shows *cough*, laptop/AIO show and what PC vendors are showing in the key trade shows. Laptops sell, far better, less user serviceable and have faster replacement cycles.

But Ryzen matters since its a good statement how future revisions can improve. In order for AMD to "make a big dent" if you would say, then Raven Ridge APU has to break the PC vendor stronghold Intel has.
The excessively copy pasted 2C+GT2 and 4C+GT2 chips from laptops all the way desktops and entry level Xeon E3 workstations.

Only when Raven Ridge makes decent design wins beyond craptops grade laptops + keep up the Ryzen momentum, then Intel might be forced to break the excessive design reuse and make targeted SKUs for different usage. Hope OEMs like Apple buy Raven Ridge.

The probable value proposition of Raven Ridge will be power efficiency and IPC for low power ultrabooks while offering better than Intel 10th gen integrated graphics with features like freesync and Radeon chill.

timpeh82

Reaction score
golden question,
can my z170 motherboard use the 6 core chip?
or need x299 motherboard?

Crimson_FURY

Master Member
Reaction score
6 core already exists on X99. its 6 core coming to mainstream z370 which is the big news here. But I would not be so confident about it working on z170

timpeh82

Reaction score
6 core already exists on X99. its 6 core coming to mainstream z370 which is the big news here. But I would not be so confident about it working on z170

by the way, your OC cpu of 4.7ghz
how hot is yr prime95 test?? highest at around 75-80 degree?

mnemo_05

Reaction score
with 7700k getting hot as it is, i wonder how this new 6-core will fair

hopefully they dont cheap out on their TIM or better yet solder it to the IHS, which i doubt they will do

Last edited:

Crimson_FURY

Master Member
Reaction score

My 7700K is delidded and using a Cyrorig C7 heatsink with a noctua a9x14 fan in an ITX case with no case fans so its not a good comparison to your setup.

I don't use prime95 anymore but back when I had it at 4.8GHz I was getting low 80s in terms of temperature with no GPU load. I backed it down to 4.7GHz because with a GPU dumping heat into my case during gaming, some of my games would crash when at 4.8Ghz

Krabs.

Honorary Member
Reaction score
prime95 is not suitable for stress testing since skylake ....
it's about 10 degree celcius above other software closer to real world workload ... like x264
the extra high temperature make ppl panic and degrade the cpu in unsafe 80+ temperature

*for skylake
not applicable to haswell and earlier
qJ5kp6w.png

Last edited:

elmariachi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
with 7700k getting hot as it is, i wonder how this new 6-core will fair

hopefully they dont cheap out on their TIM or better yet solder it to the IHS, which i doubt they will do

I can attest to the 7700k being hotter than the 6700K when I setup a new rig for my friend just a few months back. Damn the 7700k once you touch O/C, it becomes really hot. From most forums, the 7700k once delidding with a good cooler can easily hit 5.0Ghz stable depending on your silicon lottery also. And I do hope the newer Intels don't **** up on their TIM and instead solder it to the IHS like the Ryzen.

enenyi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not very optimistic about this happening within 2017.

Intel's 6-core chips currently offered in X99 platform use the full CPU die area to implement their 6 cores, no space for iGPU. Intel's mainstream i7 chips only use about 60% of the die area to implement their 4 cores, the other 40% used for iGPU.

So for Intel to implement 6 cores in mainstream so quickly, either they forgo iGPU to squeeze all 6 cores into the die area, or they cripple the performance per core so as to squeeze 6 cores into the 60% die area currently allocated. It would be too drastic for them to squeeze all 6 cores and the iGPU, and still maintain Kaby Lake's single core performance, within such a short period of time. Unless of course they already have a highly refined architecture waiting to be released.

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
golden question,
can my z170 motherboard use the 6 core chip?
or need x299 motherboard?

No one now knows yet, unless you work inside intel. Even if you work inside intel, you also can't tell.

Encrypted11

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
prime95 is not suitable for stress testing since skylake ....
it's about 10 degree celcius above other software closer to real world workload ... like x264
the extra high temperature make ppl panic and degrade the cpu in unsafe 80+ temperature

*for skylake
not applicable to haswell and earlier

Can put inside the local.txt "CpuSupportsAVX=0" if its non-kabylake where you don't have a bios avx offset.

I use prime95 to check at what voltage will I end up with a rounding error (than BSOD) for a quick and dirty voltage jumpstart just a few mins. But not recommended to run for hours. Especially if frequency offset not enough or BIOS maximum power draw never cap may degrade chip.

poooooo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Intel's 6-core chips currently offered in X99 platform use the full CPU die area to implement their 6 cores, no space for iGPU. Intel's mainstream i7 chips only use about 60% of the die area to implement their 4 cores, the other 40% used for iGPU.

So for Intel to implement 6 cores in mainstream so quickly, either they forgo iGPU to squeeze all 6 cores into the die area, or they cripple the performance per core so as to squeeze 6 cores into the 60% die area currently allocated. It would be too drastic for them to squeeze all 6 cores and the iGPU, and still maintain Kaby Lake's single core performance, within such a short period of time. Unless of course they already have a highly refined architecture waiting to be released.

It's very likely they have the design already, and even stuff for few more years ahead. Just needs to setup the manufacturing to starts productions.

alexion2k

Reaction score
Intel cpu will not drop price one...

Only true in Singapore but not true in US. i bought from US 7700K for only $290usd/ approx sgd $400 when there's a deal. Discounts get even more for non K series. In fact almost every pc parts has great discount if you happens to spot one if those deals. There're always discount over now and then just need to spot one. :s13:

Last edited:

Fatfool

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Summit ridge can't do much damage to Intel. I think people are overestimating the DIY desktop impact when shipments are very small compared to laptop shipments. Take the IT shows *cough*, laptop/AIO show and what PC vendors are showing in the key trade shows. Laptops sell, far better, less user serviceable and have faster replacement cycles.

But Ryzen matters since its a good statement how future revisions can improve. In order for AMD to "make a big dent" if you would say, then Raven Ridge APU has to break the PC vendor stronghold Intel has.
The excessively copy pasted 2C+GT2 and 4C+GT2 chips from laptops all the way desktops and entry level Xeon E3 workstations.

Only when Raven Ridge makes decent design wins beyond craptops grade laptops + keep up the Ryzen momentum, then Intel might be forced to break the excessive design reuse and make targeted SKUs for different usage. Hope OEMs like Apple buy Raven Ridge.

The probable value proposition of Raven Ridge will be power efficiency and IPC for low power ultrabooks while offering better than Intel 10th gen integrated graphics with features like freesync and Radeon chill.

I agree. Summit Ridge won't do much. Still have seen any big OEMs use it in their machines yet. It's Raven Ridge and Naples which will make a big dent.

Piezoq

Reaction score
Intel has a crucial advantage. They still own foundries. And they have the edge in process node.

Ryzen versus core isnt really illuminating because the non extreme chips bake in a rather competent igpu.

Performance still talk the loudest.

If Ryzen 2nd gen can improve IPC by 10-15%, boost clock on top to 4.5 GHz+, and increase more cores for the same segment.

They will win. And win it big for sure. Ofc that is assuming they also fixed their memory bug.

Reaction score
After 5 years domination, competition will certainly be good for Intel. One of the main reason why i don't see a need to change my Ivy Bridge to Kaby Lake is the benefits ain't big enough for me to jump yet.

I see a lot of raving about AMD's new Ryzen. More cores more threads cheaper price. Sounds very much like andriod phones. The more cores the better mantle. But like iPhones, i believe that Intel still reigns in single core performance plus power efficency.

Hopefully with AMD's renewed competition, Intel will make mainstream CPUs to 6 cores/12 threads & be more cost efficient to lower the i7 prices.

troublesome58

Reaction score
After 5 years domination, competition will certainly be good for Intel. One of the main reason why i don't see a need to change my Ivy Bridge to Kaby Lake is the benefits ain't big enough for me to jump yet.

I see a lot of raving about AMD's new Ryzen. More cores more threads cheaper price. Sounds very much like andriod phones. The more cores the better mantle. But like iPhones, i believe that Intel still reigns in single core performance plus power efficency.

Hopefully with AMD's renewed competition, Intel will make mainstream CPUs to 6 cores/12 threads & be more cost efficient to lower the i7 prices.

If everyone is waiting for amd to help lower Intel prices and then buy Intel, then what do you think we will end up with?

For me, if AMD and Intel are on par, I will buy amd. If AMD is slightly weaker than Intel for the same price, I will still buy amd.

Gattberserk

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

They already announce plan to offer 6 cores variant for coffee lake way before Ryzen released. So that is already inside their plan for quite some time (Probably years ago)

They either remove the iGPU, or use a more compact, smaller iGPU so as to free up 2 more cores die space. Either this or they increase the die size. This is probably the biggest distinction between Coffee & Kaby Lake. Somemore they are on a even more refined 14nm ++ node which is more advanced than the one in KBL. Who knows they managed to shrink abit more?

No one even know if 8700K (Just an eg) have iGPU if they offer 6 cores. they pull the stunt before in sandy bridge (There was a CPU without iGPU), so it is not surprising if the 6 cores have none.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.