Looking to upgrade some parts, need advise

NubbyCat

Reaction score
Hi guys, looking to upgrade my motherboard as I've been experiencing some problems with it recently.. Processor should be fine I think. Both warranties have expired as well.

I've also purchased an MSI GTX 970 which would be coming in soon.

So with that, I got a few questions..

Should I upgrade both my motherboard and my processor (i5-3550)? And which should I upgrade to?

Any other parts I should change/upgrade (e.g. RAM)?

Thank you in advance! :s12:

ExArchz

Reaction score
Heyyoo!!! using the same mobo and processor as u.

If u are thinking of changing the motherboard to a newer one, might as well change the processor. Those newer Z170, H170, etc supports LGA 1151 socket aka Skylake.

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
well tbh not really, unless u required to add more stuff and features, or device failing.

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
maybe u can list some problems u have and we see can solve or not

NubbyCat

Reaction score
Heyyoo!!! using the same mobo and processor as u.

If u are thinking of changing the motherboard to a newer one, might as well change the processor. Those newer Z170, H170, etc supports LGA 1151 socket aka Skylake.

Hey, nice to know someone's using the same stuff as me!! =:p

Hmm icic, I'll take a look at those, hopefully they won't burn too big of a hole in my wallet :o

maybe u can list some problems u have and we see can solve or not

Main problem is like once in awhile I may get blue screen then computer auto shut. Afterwards whenever I try switch the computer on, the computer won't actually start up and my monitor can't detect anything. However, the fans will spin on and off non-stop.

Only way to fix it was to force shutdown and then take out and put back in the CMOS battery. Doubt it's the CMOS battery problem since I've replaced it a couple of time already.. End up every few weeks if unlucky will get this problem.

spiky0180

Reaction score
See if convergent clearance sale have stocks for your z77 or other 1155 socket motherboard?

No point waste money and upgrade to newer processor with very little performance gains

Last edited:

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey, nice to know someone's using the same stuff as me!! =:p

Hmm icic, I'll take a look at those, hopefully they won't burn too big of a hole in my wallet :o

Main problem is like once in awhile I may get blue screen then computer auto shut. Afterwards whenever I try switch the computer on, the computer won't actually start up and my monitor can't detect anything. However, the fans will spin on and off non-stop.

Only way to fix it was to force shutdown and then take out and put back in the CMOS battery. Doubt it's the CMOS battery problem since I've replaced it a couple of time already.. End up every few weeks if unlucky will get this problem.

have u tried removing ur rams and clean the gold contact with eraser, and maybe check ur disk for error?

XDeathLoRdz

Reaction score

I also using z77 Asrock motherboard and i have the same problem as you, what i do is switch off the power supply and take out the ram and put it back. I know it a hassle and this kind of things make me feel like changing the board too.

MrMundy

Master Member
Reaction score
I also using z77 Asrock motherboard and i have the same problem as you, what i do is switch off the power supply and take out the ram and put it back. I know it a hassle and this kind of things make me feel like changing the board too.

thats my ex mobo, no problems for the last 3 years sia..

NubbyCat

Reaction score
have u tried removing ur rams and clean the gold contact with eraser, and maybe check ur disk for error?

Yeap tried the eraser solution already.

Haven't checked my disk for error though, how do you actually do that? :s22:

Ahh looks like we're in the same boat haha, I'm just scared it may damage my new gtx 970..

thats my ex mobo, no problems for the last 3 years sia..

Well I've been using mine for almost close to 4 years =:p

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeap tried the eraser solution already.

Haven't checked my disk for error though, how do you actually do that? :s22:

Ahh looks like we're in the same boat haha, I'm just scared it may damage my new gtx 970..

Well I've been using mine for almost close to 4 years =:p

check this command code: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ee872425.aspx

just use the most basic one and check. something like this one : chkdsk C:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.