Motherboard or PSU problem

rogue_strider

Reaction score
Last night, my computer just hang unexpectedly while I was surfing the net. I tired to restart it but it switched on for 1 second and it switches off and this repeats until i off the computer from the switch.

I thought maybe it was the cpu fan malfunctioning as it didn't even turn while the other fans turn on for 1 second. So I got a new cpu cooler but the problem still persists.

So I already tried removing the video card, the ram, the optical drive and the problem is still there. The computer switches on for 1 second and switches off after that and repeat the process again and again.

Do I need to change either my motherboard or PSU? The computer is nearly 5 years. Maybe I should get a new one since I just replaced my gpu.

Please help me. Tks.

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
maybe u can go over to the event manager / find your dump file to check what causes the issues.

rogue_strider

Reaction score
Try testing the power supply with the paper clip test first.

I'll try doing that later. Tks.

maybe u can go over to the event manager / find your dump file to check what causes the issues.

The pc doesn't switch on properly at all after the crash. It switches on for 1 second and then turns off by itself and it repeats the process until I unplug it from the outlet. So its impossible for me to even get to the windows login page.

Trees

Reaction score
Looks like your psu is faulty. Try and borrow a psu and try again.

rogue_strider

Reaction score
Yup. Its an asrock mobo.

Here is the specs.

CPU & Mobo: i5-3470 & Asrock B75 Pro 3M
Ram: G.Skill 1600mhz value ram 2x4GB
GPU: MSI 1060gtx
PSU: FSP Platinum 550W

spiky0180

Reaction score
Yup. Its an asrock mobo.

Here is the specs.

CPU & Mobo: i5-3470 & Asrock B75 Pro 3M
Ram: G.Skill 1600mhz value ram 2x4GB
GPU: MSI 1060gtx
PSU: FSP Platinum 550W

I guessed it because my asrock mobo had the same problem. U can do a paper clip test on the PSU to confirm it is working.

archyng

Reaction score
either mobo or psu. highly possible psu. had the same issue as they said borrow a psu to try it easier to borrow psu then mobo i guess.

I guessed it because my asrock mobo had the same problem. U can do a paper clip test on the PSU to confirm it is working.

rogue_strider

Reaction score
Argh! This sucks. I tested my psu using the pin and found it to be working and I borrowed the power testing unit from my uncle and found that the PSU is outputting the normal voltages.

So the problem most likely lies with the asrock motherboard itself. I guess I have to get a new cpu.

To mods, you can close this thread. I'll start a new thread for a new cpu.

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
:eek:
Argh! This sucks. I tested my psu using the pin and found it to be working and I borrowed the power testing unit from my uncle and found that the PSU is outputting the normal voltages.

So the problem most likely lies with the asrock motherboard itself. I guess I have to get a new cpu.

asrock b75 is known to have issues in HWZ. (but it seems like mostly have this issues after warranty life, which isnt so bad :o)

spiky0180

Reaction score

Yeah. I told you most likely motherboard. This is the symptom of a dead Asrock board. Last time I also thought PSU, when all the way to Tech Dynamic, end up the PSU is ok.

undead102

Reaction score
Wonder why so many asrock b75 pro 3m user always encounter this reboot issue around 2-3 years of usage. Maybe is due to bad quality check or could be bad bios totally no idea.
Had this motherboard as well same issues though is psu problem switch to another working psu also cannot start that is when I know the motherboard is dead. Everytime I see people with similar symtoms and is using this particular model mobo I know straight away high chance is the motherboard die already.

Maeda_Toshiie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just a note: some PSUs have a minimum load requirement to start up, so the paper clip test may not work.

rogue_strider

Reaction score
Wonder why so many asrock b75 pro 3m user always encounter this reboot issue around 2-3 years of usage. Maybe is due to bad quality check or could be bad bios totally no idea.
Had this motherboard as well same issues though is psu problem switch to another working psu also cannot start that is when I know the motherboard is dead. Everytime I see people with similar symtoms and is using this particular model mobo I know straight away high chance is the motherboard die already.

Wow, didn't know that at all.

lcheowl

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if during the rebooting and the fan is still running, remove all the cards, rub the gold connector using an eraser.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.