MSI GTX 960 2gb Gaming worth it?

zenniz

Reaction score
Those overclocked edition have their own fan design that is capable of keeping the card cool. Not much of a concern if you have a case with air circulation.

OC = more power consumption but only very minimum, less than 20%. Not much of a concern as well.

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Basically so long as it is not a reference card. And the base clock is slightly higher than the reference card, the manufacturer will put OC.

Example reference card for GTX970 is 1060mhz clocked

Give it to board partners such as MSI, Asus, Gigabyte and strap onto their own cooler.

Usually it will bump up the base clock above the reference card.

As such as 1160mhz. The extra 100mhz is consider an OC card.

trento

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
qns tho most of the 280/290 are all OC editions, for the term OC = more PSU power needed? i'm not into OC cards as my i dont have a cooling system, just 3 fans

speaking from experience with the Sapphire 280, the card temps can hit 70+ deg under load. fans get noisier (around 70%) to maintain temps. no need fancy cooling system. just basic airflow intake exhaust will do. if u can, put a fan blowing it but it's not crucial.

i know general view is msi has better cooling, thus higher pricing. i read somewhere temp was at 79deg with 40% fan speed, hence the softer noise. imo, it's not big enough a deal for me to get it. Also, the Sapphire card is cheap now. i've no idea why ppl wana spend 300+ on 960 when it's slower. Maybe it's the looks or something. But if really have 300+, get the msi 280. looks just as good.

trento

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if it's Sapphire, buy from Lazada. use dbs mastercard auto 10% off. also can try waiting for a few days as Lazada tend to have weekly promos. if u can't wait, buy from Videopro SLS. i got mine at $265 a month ago.

Other shops u can try are PC themes, Laser. Tradepac normally cheaper but last i ask no stock.

idjekyll

Reaction score
Go read reviews. Learn to do your own research instead of expecting to be spoonfed.

if you don't want to reply and assist than don't bro. forums exists so that anyone with an opinion or knowledge could help so those who are bored of answering the same questions all the time can let someone else do it. calm your panties down.

jgyy1990

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
speaking from experience with the Sapphire 280, the card temps can hit 70+ deg under load. fans get noisier (around 70%) to maintain temps. no need fancy cooling system. just basic airflow intake exhaust will do. if u can, put a fan blowing it but it's not crucial.

i know general view is msi has better cooling, thus higher pricing. i read somewhere temp was at 79deg with 40% fan speed, hence the softer noise. imo, it's not big enough a deal for me to get it. Also, the Sapphire card is cheap now. i've no idea why ppl wana spend 300+ on 960 when it's slower. Maybe it's the looks or something. But if really have 300+, get the msi 280. looks just as good.

That depends. Even Msi lightning cooling system also can hit 90 degree if gpu load is 100% without spikes.

yewtee7

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
960 was a disappointment for me ... join the red camp and check out those 280x and 290x ...:s34:

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Sapphire/Powercolor 280 - $250-$265

The only benefit of the MSI is that it's fan is more quieter and extra 1 yr warranty (Sapphire only 2 years and I doubt PCC still got 280 stock). Otherwise, can consider 285 if price is sub $320.

Once you reach $350, I'd rather save abit more till $400 then get a Palit/Zotac 970 from Lazada using those $88/$100/10% discount coupons

Pocoyoz

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If want to buy 960, buy the cheaper brand ones with lazada discount . My 960 fan is not on yet. Temp 56+.

BigAntres

Reaction score
Aye different people different needs honestly, for the same performance, spend around $30-$50 more for energy efficiency.. A hot card really heats up the room leh. I got the 960 and no regrets too.

idmanotic

Banned
Reaction score
Aye different people different needs honestly, for the same performance, spend around $30-$50 more for energy efficiency.. A hot card really heats up the room leh. I got the 960 and no regrets too.

Lol..... Spend so much on such a lousy card.......:s13::s13::s13:

Donhailen

Reaction score
so i've decided on the sapphire r9 280 which is going for $285, is it wise to pay abit more for the 280x? Btw my PSU is a seasonic 500w, is it enough? cause i've been reading around and people are debating whether 500 or 750 was sufficent

-Synchronicity-

Reaction score
Not much difference between 280 and 280x:
Radeon R9 280X vs 280

280x is basically the factory OC-ed version of 280. You can always OC the card yourself to get similar results as 280x. Not worth the difference in price IMO.

As for PSU, how old and what model is it?

Jurchen King

Master Member
Reaction score
so i've decided on the sapphire r9 280 which is going for $285, is it wise to pay abit more for the 280x? Btw my PSU is a seasonic 500w, is it enough? cause i've been reading around and people are debating whether 500 or 750 was sufficent

Why not the 285? It's the newer replacement and supposedly better (new tech).

AMD always means performance at the expense of hungrier power consumption. For single GPU, better 650W to play safe. Leave sufficient headroom for CPU and GPU turbo boost (if there is such a thing in AMD products), and give future higher-tier upgrade allowance.

Donhailen

Reaction score
oops sorry, am using this PSU, thought mine was a seasonic.

FSP Aurum 500W [80+Gold]

monikernemo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not much difference between 280 and 280x:
Radeon R9 280X vs 280

280x is basically the factory OC-ed version of 280. You can always OC the card yourself to get similar results as 280x. Not worth the difference in price IMO.

As for PSU, how old and what model is it?

That is very reductionistic and not true.
Physical specs such as shader units, stream processors differ. Factory oc, on other hand, means that this is a R9 280 unit but operates higher than a normal and reference 280 would. Technically 280 and 280x are two different GPUs, though may have same core, some physical specs differ, making them different GPUs.

monikernemo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Why not the 285? It's the newer replacement and supposedly better (new tech).

AMD always means performance at the expense of hungrier power consumption. For single GPU, better 650W to play safe.

Newer tech does not necessarily imply better performance all the time. This is not in the case of 285. performance wise, 285 is on par with 280, but more efficient. 285 does offer more features like gcn 1.2 and free sync, but we are not going to fully utilise it anw because the lack of free sync monitors. Price point, 280 clearly owns 285.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.