New DIY PC Advice!

Providence

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I will be getting my new house soon so I am planning to build a new PC from scratch this time. My current one will be given to my wife to allow her to watch her online Korean dramas and Taiwanese variety shows in the future.

:s13:

Currently, I find that there are a lot of new hardware parts been introduced on the PC market so I totally lost touch on some of them. Thus, I need some help from you experts here.

My budget is S$1500 at the moment. I don't think I can squeeze a cent more above that budget as I still have house renovation to worry about. That will be a huge bomb for me and my wife later on. :(

Recommendations:

1) Processor (Preferably Intel)

2) Motherboard (ASRock or MSI)

3) RAM (Normal RAM is OK?)

4) Hard Drive

5) PSU

6) Media Drive

7) OS (Windows 10 - I guess)

8) Graphics Card (MSI...)

9) Casing (Is there one that has fan filters that can be removed for cleaning easily?)

10) Sound Card - Is it still relevant nowadays?

Normally, I will get my parts from Tradepac as I did the same for my past PCs.

Providence

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I don't need the monitor as I changed it last year. Argh... I didn't update the PC specification on the right.

singupingu

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1. AMD is catching up. Wait one more week or so then see again. Performance could match Intel and priced cheaper.

2. Normal ram is fine.

4. SSD for OS and softwares. HDD for read and write stuff and storage.

5. Superflower leadex Gold

6. Is it even relevant anymore? Do you use one often? Otherwise get external DVD drive.

8. Why MSI? It's expensive. Consider Palit or Zotac if you're not hardcore user.

9. Fractal Design Define series. NZXT S340 Elite (but you need a 140mm filter for top vent. Doraemon a.k.a. t258jgn got sell. See his carousell page)

10. Not really unless you're audiophile.

Sent from Overpowered Phone Mark III using GAGT

qhong61

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1. AMD is catching up. Wait one more week or so then see again. Performance could match Intel and priced cheaper.

2. Normal ram is fine.

6. Is it even relevant anymore? Do you use one often? Otherwise get external DVD drive.

8. Why MSI? It's expensive. Consider Palit or Zotac if you're not hardcore user.

9. Fractal Design Define series. NZXT S340 Elite (but you need a 140mm filter for top vent. Doraemon a.k.a. t258jgn got sell. See his carousell page)

What's the diff between Amd and Intel?

singupingu

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Depends on your usage. If you do rendering, streaming and heavy processor workload, AMD higher core counts is more efficient and for the price you pay, it's quite a bit cheaper than Intel's offering.

If just on gaming and you can't be bother with the new AMD Ryzen hype, get Intel lor.

Rashkae

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Depends on your usage. If you do rendering, streaming and heavy processor workload, AMD higher core counts is more efficient and for the price you pay, it's quite a bit cheaper than Intel's offering.

If just on gaming and you can't be bother with the new AMD Ryzen hype, get Intel lor.

Gaming looks to be on the Ryzen side now too

Providence

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

2. Normal ram is fine.

Thanks for the recommendations. I will research into Palit and Zotac.

Superflower? That's a new brand for PSU?

Which brand of SSD is good/durable? I trust Hitachi's HDD more. :)

Providence

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I forgot to say. My future PC is for gaming only. :s13:

And I regretted buying a cheap sound system. :(

The sound quality is damn bad.

singupingu

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Superflower is the standard for psu and what a psu should be. Evga g2 is based on Superflower leadex gold design. So rest assured it's a very good psu.

SSD I prefer Ocz but if not because Toshiba currently facing potential bankruptcy I would have recommend you. Alternatively, Kingston uv400 is pretty good too with 5 years warranty.

Motherboard these days is not bad lar. Unless you're audiophile with good sound system, otherwise don't need sound card. Personally I'm not one, so I need to make a disclaimer that I can't recommend you any good sound card if you needed it.

Providence

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Superflower is the standard for psu and what a psu should be. Evga g2 is based on Superflower leadex gold design. So rest assured it's a very good psu.

SSD I prefer Ocz but if not because Toshiba currently facing potential bankruptcy I would have recommend you. Alternatively, Kingston uv400 is pretty good too with 5 years warranty.

Motherboard these days is not bad lar. Unless you're audiophile with good sound system, otherwise don't need sound card. Personally I'm not one, so I need to make a disclaimer that I can't recommend you any good sound card if you needed it.

I see.

I wonder how Creative can survive these days. Hahaha...

It is sad to see the sorry state of Toshiba nowadays.

Providence

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

2. Normal ram is fine.

So Xigmatek don't have a casing that has complimentary filters? Ok...

What do you recommend on the normal RAM?

I need the media drive as I intend to get a physical copy of Windows 10 (Home Edition).

singupingu

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Cases with removable magnetic dust filters come with a price. Hahaha. Unless you don't mind buying external ones. Doraemon got sell.

Same CAS latency, same speed, same lifetime warranty. Just branding, aesthetic and gaming ones come with heat spreader that don't really do much unless your com got really bad air flow. Most of all, cheaper.

Get or borrow an external drive. Or download Windows 10 and flash it into a thumb drive. Plug to a USB 2.0 when you wanna install. USB 3 often give problem based on experience, but there are times it do works as well. A simple Google will teach you how. Very ez and convenient.

Providence

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Cases with removable magnetic dust filters come with a price. Hahaha. Unless you don't mind buying external ones. Doraemon got sell.

Same CAS latency, same speed, same lifetime warranty. Just branding, aesthetic and gaming ones come with heat spreader that don't really do much unless your com got really bad air flow. Most of all, cheaper.

Get or borrow an external drive. Or download Windows 10 and flash it into a thumb drive. Plug to a USB 2.0 when you wanna install. USB 3 often give problem based on experience, but there are times it do works as well. A simple Google will teach you how. Very ez and convenient.

I see. A RAM is just a RAM. :D

I do need those filters because it will get pretty dusty inside the casing after a few months. Now my current one is quite dusty and I have problems removing the dust. :o

kurui_

Reaction score
Think you'll still need to clean the case once in a while. Current case with dust filter collects dust after 2 - 3 months of use.

singupingu

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Most cases ya. Ram is just a ram. Unless you got a build theme in mind, or in Intel case, you getting Z series mb with overclocking in mind, then getting those gaming ones with higher frequency is so called better. Otherwise you will be underutilizing your hardware.

Dust filters don't make your case dust proof. They only improve the situation. Lesser dust will go in, so the same 2-3 months per cleaning but with 30% lesser dust (est)

Providence

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Most cases ya. Ram is just a ram. Unless you got a build theme in mind, or in Intel case, you getting Z series mb with overclocking in mind, then getting those gaming ones with higher frequency is so called better. Otherwise you will be underutilizing your hardware.

Dust filters don't make your case dust proof. They only improve the situation. Lesser dust will go in, so the same 2-3 months per cleaning but with 30% lesser dust (est)

True.

I have checked the prices of the components. They are not cheap. Only the RAM remains affordable. The rest are getting expensive. :(

singupingu

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Check out fractal design define series cases like define C. Invest a bit more to the case for your scenario. The rest could be pretty common like an Intel i5 (or AMD Ryzen 5 series) with GTX 1070, 16GB ram, 240/250 gb ssd and 1tb HDD. I could draft a more detailed specs if you confirmed don't want wait for Ryzen.

If you don't mind 2nd hand ram (since lifetime warranty anyway) go carousell dig. Much cheaper than first hand.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.