Newegg is gonna delivery to singapore.

iZoneSG

Reaction score
its time for a change. SLS is out of the door soon.
I thought its out a long time ago.:s22:

Distro markup.
Too expensive to purchase local products.
Consumers give up.
Trend dying.
Distro furthers markup to recuperate losses.
Even more consumers give up.
Consumers tell others to buy from Amazon and Newegg.
Distro further markup some more.
hope you understand.

ykgoh

Master Member
Reaction score

Distro markup.
Consumers give up.
Trend dying.
hope you understand.

Vicious cycle?

I think a lot of Singapore businesses have been pricing themselves out of the market in recent years, even other retail shops and F&B outlets.

Some blame on REITs, rising rents, wages and inflation. Some blame greedy business owners. I dunno. :spin:

SpinFire

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wah, great news. E-commerce may kill off the brick and mortar business.

techxeon

Reaction score
Very good news, at least may pressurize Singapore Distro to lower their prices, Motherboards completely overprices IMO!

zenniz

Reaction score
Stuff that i will only buy from newegg and amazon are 3rd party cpu cooler that can change their fan easily and casing.

crystalnox

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wah, great news. E-commerce may kill off the brick and mortar business.
Problem is Amazon and newegg are overseas businesses. They aren't bringing in any money for Singapore, our money is leaving the country..

commach

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

Distro markup.
Consumers give up.
Trend dying.
hope you understand.

I don't want to understand any more of this sale theory in Singapore, heard it more than enough.

The last IT item I bought locally was the EVGA GTX560TI graphic card which is now under RMA through Convergent.

Don't get me wrong, Convergent gave me top notch service for the RMA, I left with no room to complain anything even though the card went erratic for more than 1 month.

I can't find time during weekday (workday) to RMA and most if not all local distro are not working on Saturday. I was lucky my boss going to Ubi Road 3 to meet a supplier with me on last Friday, I successfully RMA the GTX560Ti else the card will probably laying on the table waiting for the warranty to expiry (1 year to go) or I take annual leave just to RAM the card.

If take leave, to and fro for RMA and another 2 trips just to collect the repaired card which is expected to be 6 to 8 weeks. 2 days of annual leave and 4 trips just for a graphic card. Tell me honestly, you seriously think I will buy any local IT hardware with local warranty and price easily 30-40% higher than getting from oversea?

My 2 days of annual leave can easily buy a new graphic card and save the 4 trips and time to RMA the faulty card. I'm either stupid, retard or both to support local hardware anymore.

No offend to the local distros, not targeting any local distro in particular, just feel real stupid to buy hardware with local warranty at 30-40% higher. If the oversea hardware failed, I can send it back to Amazon without the need to apply leave and 4 trips to the local service center, or I simply dump the failed item if it's not economical to RMA.

commach

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Problem is Amazon and newegg are overseas businesses. They aren't bringing in any money for Singapore, our money is leaving the country..

Crucial SSDs (most) are manufactured in Singapore, do you see the local price any cheaper than Amazon?

Buying crucial SSDs from Amazon is supporting our local factory, nuff says.

Our monies are locked in CPF, not leaving Singapore.

FrEeBiEs

Reaction score
I don't want to understand any more of this sale theory in Singapore, heard it more than enough.

The last IT item I bought locally was the EVGA GTX560TI graphic card which is now under RMA through Convergent.

Don't get me wrong, Convergent gave me top notch service for the RMA, I left with no room to complain anything even though the card went erratic for more than 1 month.

I can't find time during weekday (workday) to RMA and most if not all local distro are not working on Saturday. I was lucky my boss going to Ubi Road 3 to meet a supplier with me on last Friday, I successfully RMA the GTX560Ti else the card will probably laying on the table waiting for the warranty to expiry (1 year to go) or I take annual leave just to RAM the card.

If take leave, to and fro for RMA and another 2 trips just to collect the repaired card which is expected to be 6 to 8 weeks. 2 days of annual leave and 4 trips just for a graphic card. Tell me honestly, you seriously think I will buy any local IT hardware with local warranty and price easily 30-40% higher than getting from oversea?

My 2 days of annual leave can easily buy a new graphic card and save the 4 trips and time to RMA the faulty card. I'm either stupid, retard or both to support local hardware anymore.

No offend to the local distros, not targeting any local distro in particular, just feel real stupid to buy hardware with local warranty at 30-40% higher. If the oversea hardware failed, I can send it back to Amazon without the need to apply leave and 4 trips to the local service center, or I simply dump the failed item if it's not economical to RMA.

Totally agreed. At times, i would rather have Fedex pick up from the comfort of my office. That little bit of $ spent save me alot of time wasted otherwise going down distro and queue. Overseas RMA may seem more convenient these days. Delivery straight to home or office too...

crystalnox

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Crucial SSDs (most) are manufactured in Singapore, do you see the local price any cheaper than Amazon?

Buying crucial SSDs from Amazon is supporting our local factory, nuff says.

Our monies are locked in CPF, not leaving Singapore.

Singapore buys but a fraction of the SSDs made in the local fabs. Majority of the profits made are going to Micron which is a US company. At least when you buy locally, some of the money is going into local(read: stays in Singapore) distributors/retailers/gst's pocket. Buying from Amazon = 100% profit going to the US.

Don't get me wrong though, I buy from overseas too. It's just sad that we have no strong online retailer here, all these foreign companies taking money out of Singapore.

(CPF has nothing to do with this conversation -.-)

Last edited:

xhlee87

Reaction score
I have experienced it myself too.
It is really dumb to take 2 days of leave just to rma.
I dun bother to rma nowadays. If spoiled just buy new one.

Preacher1010

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm with Commach.
If the Newegg thing goes through..

Bye bye SLS...frak off !!

Felfirez

Master Member
Reaction score
Definitely worth looking out for when it starts. As per Commach, I had issues with my mobo (P67 Sabertooth). Had to travel all the way to ubi and was told to wait a month. Same thing goes for my Seasonic PSU, though that was 2 weeks.

After these two incidents, I gave it a thought on local warranties and its hassles and came to the conclusion that it's not worth it at all. The cost of sending something overseas for RMA (WD Red, $6, Singpost. $60 Fedex) is miniscule compared to time taken/lost to send the item yourself.

So yup. I've been buying stuffs from NCIX and Amazon, so hopefully this will start before end of year. :s12:

klap_hanz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am with commach on this too...

I always buy online from Amazon, eBay, Newegg or Taobao and shipped to SG using vPost, comGateway and etc...

I find it a hassle to travel down to SLS, hunt high and low for items I want and yet cannot find at all becoz local distros never bring it in or no stocks liao, have to wait another month for new stocks to come...

Buying online from Amazon, eBay or Newegg give me all the variety of PC components that I need, very easy to search for them online, read the user reviews, the specs and etc...I can even raise my questions with the sellers and clarify every things b4 I buy...i don't need to hunt high and low, don't need to walk here, walk there anymore...

Problem with buying from US and China is always the power and plug issue..warranty is no concern for me, I can always shipped it back or I will juz throw it away if it is too expensive for me to RMA..

snipes14

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I think you are out of touch with government policies.

The government clearly encourages money leaving our country, since by encouraging a situation whereby half the population are foreigners, guess where the money they earn are going? Yep, out of the country.

Therefore by supporting newegg and amazon we are in line with government policies. Huat ah!

klap_hanz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
u will feel like a big fat carrot head if u compared the prices of SSDs between SLS and Amazon...:o:o:o

even with shipping added in, it is still more cheaper buying from Amazon than SLS...

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.