Newly RMA-ed HGST 4tb having "clicking noise"

pwongkk

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I had experienced once where a new hard disk in use for less than 2 months had the clicking and scratching sound.

Thought hard disk spoil and almost wanted to send for RMA. When I inserted another hard disk, the sound came back again.

Stripped my NAS apart and found out it was the small fan inside having problems.

aall88

Reaction score
Hi guys, not a very frequent user on the forum but I came across this thread and thought I might share my experience and also get some thoughts from you guys.

So right after I installed my new HGST 4tb drive, I found it was clicking incessantly (even when idle). I went ahead to partition it into 2 drives (roughly 2tb each), but the clicking actually started the moment I first booted up the PC after installing.

Anyway, here's the crystal disk info and benchmark results (ack I don't have enough post count to post images, so just have to make do with links). I'm guessing I should return the drive? XD Grateful for some thoughts on this!

See:

drive.google.com/file/d/1HfMZT7KItlMFLjlXttAVBBo3JivtXMGI/edit

drive.google.com/file/d/15IIsd0MVMyIQvW_dCNrxBZifvL7-2RTF/edit

Koenig168

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, not a very frequent user on the forum but I came across this thread and thought I might share my experience and also get some thoughts from you guys.

So right after I installed my new HGST 4tb drive, I found it was clicking incessantly (even when idle). I went ahead to partition it into 2 drives (roughly 2tb each), but the clicking actually started the moment I first booted up the PC after installing.

Anyway, here's the crystal disk info and benchmark results (ack I don't have enough post count to post images, so just have to make do with links). I'm guessing I should return the drive? XD Grateful for some thoughts on this!

See:

drive.google.com/file/d/1HfMZT7KItlMFLjlXttAVBBo3JivtXMGI/edit

drive.google.com/file/d/15IIsd0MVMyIQvW_dCNrxBZifvL7-2RTF/edit

Definitely return. The read/write speeds are abysmal. I am getting about 168 MB/s for both read/write on my HGST.

tmfwy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I need some help here.
I bought a HGST NAS 4tb 3 weeks ago.
It suddenly disappeared in windows after 1 week of usage and I lost my data on it.
Went down to Convergent for RMA, the guy allowed me to exchange without testing. a very good experience.

However, this new rma-ed drive has this audible and annoying "click" sound every 5-7 secs. What scares me the most is it has 2 brief periods of LOUD vibration when I am doing the HGST drive fitness test.

Is this sign of a bad/failing drive?
I don't think this is normal right.
Or does the fault lies with my system? ( The Convergent guy did ask for my motherboard model and say something like maybe my board might be too old for this drive as newer batches of 4tbs are slightly different)
I am sure if i bring it back to Convergent, they will be quite skeptical. :(

This drives pass the HGST fitnes test and CrystalDisk Info shows "Good health".
I do have another HGST NAS 4TB drive from last year, no such clicking noise and very stable so far.
RMA the drive
Reason: It doesn't Click with me " :p

Seriously, go change it...

faithsilence

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Apologies for digging up this thread as i just ran into a clicking HGST NAS 4TB Drive.

Installed into my 4 bay NAS and one of the bays couldn't detect the drive and I heard a slow click click sound. (2 HGST, 1 Seagate and 1 Toshiba)

So can I just bring my drive to Convergent and then RMA it?

Is there any difference to where I RMA if I buy it from Storage Studio or Video Pro? Cos I got one from SS and one from Video Pro.

Thank you

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.