RAM DDR 3 CL 11 vs CL 9

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For a given memory, you can set it to either high frequency * high CL or low frequency * low CL

High frequency is usually beneficial while low CL benefit usually not obvious.

croc1977

Banned
Reaction score
For a given memory, you can set it to either high frequency * high CL or low frequency * low CL

High frequency is usually beneficial while low CL benefit usually not obvious.
i saw some models ddr 3 got 1600mhz while some can go 2400ghz...

and im talking those with heat sink ones

my mb is MSI Z77A-G43

so which should i go...any recommendation

singupingu

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i saw some models ddr 3 got 1600mhz while some can go 2400ghz...

and im talking those with heat sink ones

my mb is MSI Z77A-G43

so which should i go...any recommendation
As high as you can afford and go. Your mobo can support up to 2800MHz ram. Then tweak the frequent using xmp profile in your bios to utilize the speed of the ram you bought.

Sent from Overpowered Phone Mark III using GAGT

hawthorne

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
CL9 faster. But real life u shld not be able to notice much difference

hawthorne

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Overclocking as in if u monitor the stats, surely u will see a difference.

What I mean is when u use it normally on a daily basis, u probably wun feel the difference. Unless u running ur own program where u constantly need to load data into memory.

superzheny

Reaction score
Try overclocking your ram first.

If the ram voltage is already 1.65v, do not increase any further.
If voltage is 1.5v, you have leeway. Max intel recommended is 1.575v. However many ppl also use 1.65v without problem, so the choice is yours.

First ensure your cpu is stable. Reset to stock if needed. IF not confirm your cpu OC is fully stable.

Increase your ram voltage as per desired. Better to overclock with a max comfortable voltage than to try to increase voltage later imho.

Do not adjust your baseclock unless u very serious. Manually input the 4 main ram timings (etc 9, 9, 9, 27). LEave the sub timings on auto

Try increasing your ram speed by one setting (2133 to 2400).

See if can boot. If can try, restart and run memtest86. If pass, boot into windows and run prime95 blended. IF your overclock is unstable, you might see either bsods or core crashes.

If stable, either repeat the process to the next ram speed, or decrease ram timings.

Change ram timings by 1, 1, 1, 3 (etc from 9, 9, 9, 27 to 8, 8, 8, 24).

Go play around with your ram speed and timings until you happy.

If unstable, either decrease ram speed or loosen timings. A way to see if u are actually benefitting is to divide the first timing by ram speed (etc 9/2133). The lower the better.

Memtest86 is not the best to detect ram instability. Prime95 blended stresses ram more.

superzheny

Reaction score
ALso be careful as a very unstable ram can result in your system failing to even post, unlike a unstable cpu which will almost certainly be able to post. so depending on your mobo u might have to clear cmos if it doesnt auto reset to the previous stable.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.