RE: HELP ON building a mini-ITX

LIN_JOEL

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
RE: HELP ON building a mini-ITX

Hi All,

I need some advise on building a mini-ITX rig.
This system mainly for surfing net, some basic photo editing, gaming like Dota, CS and football manager & hopefully can last a few years before next upgrade.
Budget of $2000, excluding monitor & peripherals at the moment.

Currently looking at i7 4970k + Z97I GAMING ACK, a R9 390 - 390X Gpu.
Needed advise for my shortlisted selection & changes if its unsuitable & recommendation for
16GB Ram
SSD (will be using old SSD if exceed budget)
PSU (can my old PSU reuse? if exceed budget)
CASING
OS
Any additional Fan or water cooling setup needed?

My old setup
INTEL CORE 2 DUO E8600 @ 4GHz (29/08/2008)
THERMALRIGHT VENOMOUS-X CPU COOLER with SCYTHE FAN
MSI P45 PLATINUM (29/08/2008)
XTREEM DARK 1066 (29/08/2008)
CRUCIAL M4 256GB SSD (21/06/2012)
INTEL SSD 80GB (04/05/2010)
INTEL SSD 520 (24/04/2012)
LG GH22 LS30 LIGHTSCRIBE DVD
POWERCOLOR 2GB 7850 PCS+ DDR5 (09/04/2013)
ENERMAX MODU 82+ 625W (31/08/2008)
LIAN LI PC-7FNWX
DELL 2412M (17/08/2012)

Thank you!

SexMuffin

Reaction score
If you are only playing CS/Dota type of game you dont have to spend so much money on both your CPU and GPU, same goes with RAM. With the currenty GPU you have chosen it would be overkill for the games you are looking at playing. They are not bad my any means but you can consider getting a cheaper CPU + MOBO : Intel Core i5-4460 + Asus h87+ITX @ $338. And your GPU will depend on the case you choose as some M-ITX case allow for bigger cards, some small.

For a M-ITX cases in general you would want to a blower style GPU cooler as the case is very small and you dont want to dump the hot air back into the small case HOWEVER they are extremely loud(using a reference Nvidia card) and you can honestly get away with a aftermarket cooler if you dont intend to overclock either your CPU or GPU. a few very popular M-ITX cases you can consider is the SG05 the bitfenix Prodigy, enthoo ITX or if you are feeling extra fancy the Ncase M1 should still be up for pre-order.

Maybe something like this:

CPU+MB: Intel Core i5-4460 + Asus h87+ITX - $338
RAM: Crucial DDR3-1600 CL11 8GB - $75
GPU: Asus 390x - $739
SSD: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB - $149
HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB - $70
PSU: SuperFlower 650 - $149
CASE: Enthoo ITX - $139

Total : 1692

You still have ~300(more if you reuse SSD) to spare which you can consider either the fury x or 980ti if you ballin'

I am also building an M-itx rig around the Ncase M1, cant wait for it to arrive! I still have the mobo ,cpu and PSU to get! :D

Last edited:

Silencer

Master Member
Reaction score
I also juz build a mITX gaming rig
My specs are on the right and for case I recommend Silverstone Raven RVZ01
This case airflow quite good.
GPGT on my rig

zcLpgs5.jpg

Silencer

Master Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Nights

Master Member
Reaction score
Try it on Palit GTX 970 Jetstream which is ard 2.5 slot thickness card and still able to install comfortably

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Palit/GeForce_GTX_970_JetStream/3.html

Based on MSI TwinFrozr R390x, its just slightly over 2 slots thickness. It will fit the RVZ01

The RVZ01 use a bracket to hold on to the graphic card. If graphic card too thick or too big will have problem mounting leh. I had problem mounting my graphic card with this case, end up I switch to fractal design node 304. Also, someone recommended thermaltake core v1. That case has good design also. RVZ01 take up lesser space but really challenging with the build.

Silencer

Master Member
Reaction score
The RVZ01 use a bracket to hold on to the graphic card. If graphic card too thick or too big will have problem mounting leh. I had problem mounting my graphic card with this case, end up I switch to fractal design node 304. Also, someone recommended thermaltake core v1. That case has good design also. RVZ01 take up lesser space but really challenging with the build.

When I assembled the rig for my fren using the Palit gtx 970 jetstream which is ard 2.5 slots thick, the secure bracket did bend abit but still not that difficult to mount. I just find a slightly longer screw to screw the bracket to secure the card instead of using the screw given by the case

My own MSI gtx980 twinforzr no such problem as its less thick than the Palit Jetstream one

Other than this, everything quite standard. I just try to route most cables under the mobo and those that cannot go under mobo, just route it along or across the mobo.
So overall not very challenging to assemble this casing lah.

Only lesson i learn is i try to use a smaller CPU cooler.
At first i was using the Silverstone NT06-PRO and find that its abit too big for comfort.
Later I change to the AR06 and quite an easy life liao :D

Ohh a long screw driver is necessary when installing the PSU as the space allowance make short screw driver hard to aim swee swee on the screw :)

Last edited:

MoneyFace =p

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I need some advise on building a mini-ITX rig.
This system mainly for surfing net, some basic photo editing, gaming like Dota, CS and football manager & hopefully can last a few years before next upgrade.
Budget of $2000, excluding monitor & peripherals at the moment.

Currently looking at i7 4970k + Z97I GAMING ACK, a R9 390 - 390X Gpu.
Needed advise for my shortlisted selection & changes if its unsuitable & recommendation for
16GB Ram
SSD (will be using old SSD if exceed budget)
PSU (can my old PSU reuse? if exceed budget)
CASING
OS
Any additional Fan or water cooling setup needed?

My old setup
INTEL CORE 2 DUO E8600 @ 4GHz (29/08/2008)
THERMALRIGHT VENOMOUS-X CPU COOLER with SCYTHE FAN
MSI P45 PLATINUM (29/08/2008)
XTREEM DARK 1066 (29/08/2008)
CRUCIAL M4 256GB SSD (21/06/2012)
INTEL SSD 80GB (04/05/2010)
INTEL SSD 520 (24/04/2012)
LG GH22 LS30 LIGHTSCRIBE DVD
POWERCOLOR 2GB 7850 PCS+ DDR5 (09/04/2013)
ENERMAX MODU 82+ 625W (31/08/2008)
LIAN LI PC-7FNWX
DELL 2412M (17/08/2012)

Thank you!
What software do you use for your photo editing?

Please check the health status of all your SSDs.
You can actually reuse all of them as secondary SSDs, though some of themalready past their warranty period.
Do you really still need the DVD drive? Many people omitted it as hardly used nowadays.

Graphics card can still use and should be reused since your games also no need that much performance from current high end cards. And your card model is still 'new' according to AMD lol.

And you really wish to do some overclocking? Not needed these days since processors are fast enough to handle even future games.

And lastly you want a compact chassis that is more of cubic or slimline? Want Lian Li again or ok with others?

Last edited:

Nights

Master Member
Reaction score
When I assembled the rig for my fren using the Palit gtx 970 jetstream which is ard 2.5 slots thick, the secure bracket did bend abit but still not that difficult to mount. I just find a slightly longer screw to screw the bracket to secure the card instead of using the screw given by the case

My own MSI gtx980 twinforzr no such problem as its less thick than the Palit Jetstream one

Other than this, everything quite standard. I just try to route most cables under the mobo and those that cannot go under mobo, just route it along or across the mobo.
So overall not very challenging to assemble this casing lah.

Only lesson i learn is i try to use a smaller CPU cooler.
At first i was using the Silverstone NT06-PRO and find that its abit too big for comfort.
Later I change to the AR06 and quite an easy life liao :D

Ohh a long screw driver is necessary when installing the PSU as the space allowance make short screw driver hard to aim swee swee on the screw :)

Not difficult meh? I follow a YouTube video. That guy also mention install the NT-06PRO is the most difficult part. So I use other smaller cooler. My Sapphire R9 280X also too thick. The bracket bent when I force the screw in. End up I use cable tie to tie it to the mounting plate. I don't know how ppl keep their system cool. My build with RVZ01 is very hot. The system become unstable & keep crashing after an hour of gaming. I check the system temperature and the CPU is above 80deg! GPU is even hotter! This case is nice but I guess I'm not good enough with the heat management. After switch to Node 304. The temperature is so much better. But node 304 can't take sapphire R9 280X vapor X. It is a 2.5 slot card, the fan will hit the side panel, so have to change to a 2slot card.

LIN_JOEL

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What software do you use for your photo editing?

Please check the health status of all your SSDs.
You can actually reuse all of them as secondary SSDs, though some of themalready past their warranty period.
Do you really still need the DVD drive? Many people omitted it as hardly used nowadays.

Graphics card can still use and should be reused since your games also no need that much performance from current high end cards. And your card model is still 'new' according to AMD lol.

And you really wish to do some overclocking? Not needed these days since processors are fast enough to handle even future games.

And lastly you want a compact chassis that is more of cubic or slimline? Want Lian Li again or ok with others?

Hi Moneyface,

Basic photo editing software from olympus.:s13:
SSD will be reuse if exceed my budget.
Dun need a optical drive.
Graphic is there any recommendation if I not reusing back?
Might not be aiming for 'OC cpu as i read itx case too small & heat up easily?
Ncase m1 is nice or something similar.
Can my current PSU be reuse?

TIA

Silencer

Master Member
Reaction score
Not difficult meh? I follow a YouTube video. That guy also mention install the NT-06PRO is the most difficult part. So I use other smaller cooler. My Sapphire R9 280X also too thick. The bracket bent when I force the screw in. End up I use cable tie to tie it to the mounting plate. I don't know how ppl keep their system cool. My build with RVZ01 is very hot. The system become unstable & keep crashing after an hour of gaming. I check the system temperature and the CPU is above 80deg! GPU is even hotter! This case is nice but I guess I'm not good enough with the heat management. After switch to Node 304. The temperature is so much better. But node 304 can't take sapphire R9 280X vapor X. It is a 2.5 slot card, the fan will hit the side panel, so have to change to a 2slot card.

Not for me. I have been using it to play Witcher 3 for hours and so far so good
My CPU always hover ard 48-55deg when playing Witcher 3
GPU is ard 66deg.

One thing i like is this casing got 1 x 120mm fan directly at the gfx card and another 1 x 120mm fan directly at the CPU. This really help the airflow of the casing

SexMuffin

Reaction score
Hi Moneyface,

Basic photo editing software from olympus.:s13:
SSD will be reuse if exceed my budget.
Dun need a optical drive.
Graphic is there any recommendation if I not reusing back?
Might not be aiming for 'OC cpu as i read itx case too small & heat up easily?
Ncase m1 is nice or something similar.
Can my current PSU be reuse?

TIA

What about games? Because if you are aiming at Dota and CS there isnt any point upgrading. If you want the Ncase Do get it fast as they only do 1 production run every 8 months iirc.

LIN_JOEL

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What about games? Because if you are aiming at Dota and CS there isnt any point upgrading. If you want the Ncase Do get it fast as they only do 1 production run every 8 months iirc.

Hi sexmuffin,
I'm upgrading as my PC is quite old and intend to pass to my brother.
He only use it for surfing net, his current PC is spoil & i think only casing & PSU reusable.

MoneyFace =p

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi sexmuffin,
I'm upgrading as my PC is quite old and intend to pass to my brother.
He only use it for surfing net, his current PC is spoil & i think only casing & PSU reusable.
Then i guess you are looking to replace everything then....

And you've got plenty to spend on...

CPU+MB: Intel Core i5-4460 + ASUS H87I-PLUS @ $338
RAM: Crucial DDR3-1600 CL11 8GB @ $67
GPU: PowerColor R9-280 3GB TurboDuo @ $239* (Lazada Singapore)
R9-280 is simply an overclocked HD 7950. They have the same exact processor chip btw.
SSD: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB @ $149 (Qoo10)
PSU: Silverstone Strider Gold SX600-G 600W [80 Plus Gold] @ $165 (t258jgn)
Provides enough power for more powerful graphics card if going to play hardcore AAA games in future.
CASE: NCASE M1 V4 @ $290** (NCASE)

Total: $1281

Buy others from Tradepac, #05-18.

*Price after Lazada MCUNLOCKED 18% MasterCard discount coupon (Capped at $50)
**Price after USD conversion and shipping cost estimation

Last edited:

LIN_JOEL

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Moneyface,
Power Color R9 280 Ddr5 Turboduo Pcie 3Gb website stated needed Minimum System Power requirement 750(W) but PSU 600W only?

SexMuffin, my casing only ship out after 15/7/15:(

MoneyFace =p

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Moneyface,
Power Color R9 280 Ddr5 Turboduo Pcie 3Gb website stated needed Minimum System Power requirement 750(W) but PSU 600W only?

Such system won't even exceed 350W in real life in full stress.

These minimum system power requirements are very conservative estimates taking into account of those dubious brand overrated wattage PSUs.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2014/05/19/amd-radeon-r9-280-review-feat-xfx/9

Last edited:

SexMuffin

Reaction score
Hi Moneyface,

Same as mine! :) I would recommend you go for the silverstone SX600w-g for the psu as it is smaller and will give you more freedom and wont risk you not being able to fit your GPU in your case.

The 600w silverstone psu will do just fine. you can check out a video here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV1gE1qrhZY

tanchankai

Reaction score
Hi Moneyface,

Went for the NCASE? If so, good choice. I'm using a V3 myself. Gonna add more Noctuas to it :s22: The Silverstone SX600 is highly recommended. The space savings allow more flexibility.

sportspree101

Reaction score
Then i guess you are looking to replace everything then....

And you've got plenty to spend on...

CPU+MB: Intel Core i5-4460 + ASUS H87I-PLUS @ $338
RAM: Crucial DDR3-1600 CL11 8GB @ $67
GPU: PowerColor R9-280 3GB TurboDuo @ $239* (Lazada Singapore)
R9-280 is simply an overclocked HD 7950. They have the same exact processor chip btw.
SSD: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB @ $149 (Qoo10)
PSU: Silverstone Strider Gold SX600-G 600W [80 Plus Gold] @ $165 (t258jgn)
Provides enough power for more powerful graphics card if going to play hardcore AAA games in future.
CASE: NCASE M1 V4 @ $290** (NCASE)

Total: $1281

Buy others from Tradepac, #05-18.

*Price after Lazada MCUNLOCKED 18% MasterCard discount coupon (Capped at $50)
**Price after USD conversion and shipping cost estimation

mr moneyface really very helpful.. help give advice and even links to the item..

thanks alot.. will be building a small system soon.. will use it as a guild..

thanks once again

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.