Some comments for my new rig

recca85

Reaction score
Total budget $1200-$1500.

What I have purchased already:
Palit 970 jet ($411)
Windows 7 Pro 64( existing OS)
Samsung SSD 830 and 840 evo, 256GB and 250GB (existing)
Keyboard, mouse (existing)
Monitor (existing TV)
5.1 theater system speakers with a SOUND BLASTER X-FI SURROUND 5.1 PRO

What I want to buy: (left over budget $800-$1100)
Motherboard +CPU: ?
Case: Fractal R5 ($149 lazada)
RAM: G.skill 8gb ddr3 (maybe 1 piece for now, any recommendation for which mHz?)
PSU: Seasonic or Superflower (i think I need at least 650W, modular?)
CD Drive: Samsung/LG OEM ($25)

Games I planned to play, GTA5, Hearthstone, WoW, Heroes of Storm, (my laptop can't handle heroes at all without jerking) and other AAA games in the future.
Requires at least 3-4 USB 3.0 ports as I already have 2 3.0 external HDD, definitely will have more in the future.
Saw from other posts that i5 is enough. Speed around 4460 is good enough?
I am confused over all the motherboard in the market, what is the difference between 85 and 97 models?
My usage normally involves 2 monitors at the same time but for now, I will use 1 monitor.
Is motherboard 5.1 sound ports better that my creative USB 5.1 surround sound card?
Hopefully the motherboard has in built bluetooth and wifi, so I can use my bluetooth headset or other bluetooth device in the future.
Thanks!

Last edited:

monikernemo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1) GHZ is not an issue exactly if you just want to game. 4460 is a very value and good choice. Ram speed just go for standard, 1600mhz. Only in benchmarks would ram speed show considerable difference.

2) H97 has more features such as raid, m.2/sata-e and support for broadwell CPU while B85 is not broadwell compatible and has no onboard raid. Not an issue at all if you don't use the features. As B85 is more entry level, it would not have onboard WiFi/bt. H97 only itx variants have WiFi/BT support. If want atx, need look at z97, but they are way more expensive. Also to no to, B85 almmst extinct after haswwll refresh.

3) not an expert in audio but heard that external offers more benefits than onboard/pcie sound card.

Regarding build, actually 500-550W would suffice. 650W is a waste because you also can't sli in future. Unless you itend yo change GPU to energy consuming amd ones. I think internal HDD would be more beneficial? Hah idk.

Maybe when you are more informed, then you make a choice.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.