Troubleshooting com crashing and possible solutions

hallofshamer

Reaction score
hi gurus out there, am facing some issues with my rig and contemplating if i should try to troubleshoot or get a new one altogether. Been a couple of years since i bought it and specs as below

Processor: Intel G3220 @ 3GHZ
MOBO: Asrock H8aM-DGS R2.0
DDR3 Kingston 4GB 12800/1600 RAM (1x)
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series

Symptoms:
1) keeps restarting once power on, no signal on monitor. once in a while powers on and still no signal on monitor.
2) occasional BSOD
3) freezes during normal operations (surfing web with max 3 tabs, watching youtube vids)

Have tried to google online and reseated the ram a couple of times, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Seems like a matter of luck before the same symptoms come back.

Am thinking of getting a new DDR3 RAM but afraid that if RAM is not the problem the DDR3 will be rendered useless once i intend to switch to an i3 or i5. I only use the rig for web browsing, video watching and dota 2.

TIA for any advice at all :)

kracie17

Reaction score
hi gurus out there, am facing some issues with my rig and contemplating if i should try to troubleshoot or get a new one altogether. Been a couple of years since i bought it and specs as below

Processor: Intel G3220 @ 3GHZ
MOBO: Asrock H8aM-DGS R2.0
DDR3 Kingston 4GB 12800/1600 RAM (1x)
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series

Symptoms:
1) keeps restarting once power on, no signal on monitor. once in a while powers on and still no signal on monitor.
2) occasional BSOD
3) freezes during normal operations (surfing web with max 3 tabs, watching youtube vids)

Have tried to google online and reseated the ram a couple of times, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Seems like a matter of luck before the same symptoms come back.

Am thinking of getting a new DDR3 RAM but afraid that if RAM is not the problem the DDR3 will be rendered useless once i intend to switch to an i3 or i5. I only use the rig for web browsing, video watching and dota 2.

TIA for any advice at all :)

if you are able to upload the bsod file called minidump located in: C:\windows\minidump. upload the latest one and some of us can do the reading. and will know what is the causing factor. this will only happens if you enable the option. check out this website for more info. http://blog.nirsoft.net/2010/07/27/how-to-configure-windows-to-create-minidump-files-on-bsod/

hlots123

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
try using a soft eraser, rub clean the rams' golden contact regions...

hallofshamer

Reaction score
if you are able to upload the bsod file called minidump located in: C:\windows\minidump. upload the latest one and some of us can do the reading. and will know what is the causing factor. this will only happens if you enable the option. check out this website for more info. http://blog.nirsoft.net/2010/07/27/how-to-configure-windows-to-create-minidump-files-on-bsod/

Wow this is something new, i will try to do this, if I can even get it started up now... I previously tried running Windows diagnostic tool as well but nothing turned up.

hallofshamer

Reaction score
Thanks all for your kind advice, I will probably go down sls to get a new ddr3 ram and see if there are any i5 mobos which can support ddr3 still... Pls let me know if anything I'm doing is a big nono! Will check back this thread at noon time...

kracie17

Reaction score
Thanks all for your kind advice, I will probably go down sls to get a new ddr3 ram and see if there are any i5 mobos which can support ddr3 still... Pls let me know if anything I'm doing is a big nono! Will check back this thread at noon time...

don get a new set of ram.. they are too expensive as of now. ram shld have limited lifetime warranty. which brand of ram you are using? then we can advise you go straight to the distri to do RMA.

hallofshamer

Reaction score
don get a new set of ram.. they are too expensive as of now. ram shld have limited lifetime warranty. which brand of ram you are using? then we can advise you go straight to the distri to do RMA.

using this so far...DDR3 Kingston 4GB 12800/1600 RAM (1x)

quick update: have followed your advice and contacted kingston, apparently this RAM is EOL and will take 4-12 weeks for a replacement :(. i guess i should really get a new rig then?

Last edited:

kracie17

Reaction score
using this so far...DDR3 Kingston 4GB 12800/1600 RAM (1x)

quick update: have followed your advice and contacted kingston, apparently this RAM is EOL and will take 4-12 weeks for a replacement :(. i guess i should really get a new rig then?

actually you can try hunting for ddr3 ram on second hand market.. if you get a new rig, you have to change ram, cpu and mobo which would cost more than just the ram, that is assuming the ram is faulty. i happen to have a spare one lying around. perhaps i could lend you to test it out to confirm it is faulty?

NMSS_2

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i believed that you can use a single stick to troubleshoot if the other got problem. "Usually" it was a telltale sign of a bad psu.

hallofshamer

Reaction score
actually you can try hunting for ddr3 ram on second hand market.. if you get a new rig, you have to change ram, cpu and mobo which would cost more than just the ram, that is assuming the ram is faulty. i happen to have a spare one lying around. perhaps i could lend you to test it out to confirm it is faulty?

OK thanks for the advice, will look around to see if there is a second hand ddr3 ram in the market, if not will pm you to borrow it. Exactly it will cost a lot more but thinking whether it could be because the rest of the parts are worn out too. And it's not like do overclocking or too intensive stuff. Thanks so much for the advice and offer though. Will pm you if I have the need thanks again!

hallofshamer

Reaction score
i believed that you can use a single stick to troubleshoot if the other got problem. "Usually" it was a telltale sign of a bad psu.

Sorry by bad psu could you elaborate more pls? I'm having only one stick now so I have reseated it to another slot and same results still...

kracie17

Reaction score
Sorry by bad psu could you elaborate more pls? I'm having only one stick now so I have reseated it to another slot and same results still...

a bad psu means it could be failing or layman terms, dying psu. since you only have one stick of ram, troubleshooting that ram piece is going to be tough.

OK thanks for the advice, will look around to see if there is a second hand ddr3 ram in the market, if not will pm you to borrow it. Exactly it will cost a lot more but thinking whether it could be because the rest of the parts are worn out too. And it's not like do overclocking or too intensive stuff. Thanks so much for the advice and offer though. Will pm you if I have the need thanks again!

yup sure! feel free to contact me if you require any assistance :) will be more than willing to help you..

spiky0180

Reaction score
When you say keeps restarting with no display, does it mean the computer power up, fans spin for couple of seconds and the pc shuts down, then repeatedly on-off in an indefinite loop?

If yes, could be your asrock motherboard.

hallofshamer

Reaction score
When you say keeps restarting with no display, does it mean the computer power up, fans spin for couple of seconds and the pc shuts down, then repeatedly on-off in an indefinite loop?

If yes, could be your asrock motherboard.

yup yup! sounds about right! hmm so it might not be a ram issue still. i was thinking if it was the mobo then the damage should be more "permanent"? i guess i have pretty much decided to either troubleshoot the ram (if i can afford the time) or just break the bank and go for a new rig. thanks so much for your advice though!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.