Want to build/buy gaming rig.

elsenoire

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Would like to get a new PC for myself (box only, less monitor, KVM, OS etc), need help for an approximate build. PC mainly used for (in order of likelihood) gaming and video/photo editing (Adobe LR, PS, PremierePro), programming, and *maybe* running VMs.

CPU: i7-7700k?
Motherboard: ???
Gfx: 1080 preferred. I will be running a main screen at 1440p resolution, and a secondary screen (1680x1050) will be switched on if I need more screen estate.
Case: Would prefer fairly small factor as long as cooling is not compromised
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 RGB 3466MHz 2x8GB??
Main SSD: 500GB
2ndary HDD: 2-4TB
PSU: ???

Is above doable with 2.5k? Would I be better served by using other options for any of the above parts?

haylui

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Get AMD Ryzen R7 1700 for all the stuff you do. Much better than 7700k could offer

VoltechSG

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Would like to get a new PC for myself (box only, less monitor, KVM, OS etc), need help for an approximate build. PC mainly used for (in order of likelihood) gaming and video/photo editing (Adobe LR, PS, PremierePro), programming, and *maybe* running VMs.

CPU: i7-7700k?
Motherboard: ???
Gfx: 1080 preferred. I will be running a main screen at 1440p resolution, and a secondary screen (1680x1050) will be switched on if I need more screen estate.
Case: Would prefer fairly small factor as long as cooling is not compromised
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 RGB 3466MHz 2x8GB??
Main SSD: 500GB
2ndary HDD: 2-4TB
PSU: ???

Is above doable with 2.5k? Would I be better served by using other options for any of the above parts?

yup. i second that. go get yourself ryzen 7. it is much more worth it compared to 7700k.

Rashkae

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you stick with Intel, there's no benefit in RAM speed above 3000. Also depending on your case, you may not need RGB RAM.

lukart

Reaction score
For a good intel motherboard, you have the Z270 Fatal1ty, overclocks like a dream.
EVGA generally has fantastic psu's. 600w should be more than enough.

elsenoire

Reaction score
If you stick with Intel, there's no benefit in RAM speed above 3000. Also depending on your case, you may not need RGB RAM.

RGB being the lights only? I don't need that at all. :D
Noted on the RAM speed comment.

For a good intel motherboard, you have the Z270 Fatal1ty, overclocks like a dream.
EVGA generally has fantastic psu's. 600w should be more than enough.

Don't intend to overclock. Noted for the 600w.

Thanks a lot people.

||||||||||

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Get ryzen 7, your video editing programs will be better off with higher cores count

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
ryzen 7/5 better than 7700k for productivity.
Case can consider matx cases, i using fractal design mini c it's quite good.

psu, seasonic superflower evga.

elsenoire

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Thanks for the comments. After taking them in and looking around, I came up with a draft list of components.

Case [Fractal Design Nano S] - $119 (Amazon Prime or Bizgram)
Motherboard [Gigabyte AB350M-Gaming 3] - $152 (Bizgram)
CPU [Ryzen 7 1700X] - $571 (Bizgram)
Cooler [???] - Please advise, budget $135?
PSU [Cooler Master Lite 700W] - $95 (Bizgram)
RAM [Corsair LPX DDR4 3200Mhz 2 Ch, 16GB] - $237 (Bizgram)
Graphic Card [MSI 1080GTX] - $830 (Amazon; thougt I saw this then most recent check it was gone. Maybe I cockeye? Anyway, budget $1k if necessary -.-)
Samsung 850 M.2 SATA 2280 500GB - $265 (Bizgram)
Western Digital Black 7200RPM 2TB - $188 (Bizgram)
Windows 10 64bit - $225 (Bizgram)

Total (using higher budget figures): Approx $3,000

Looking forward to comments. E.g.
  1. Any recommendations to increase/reduce anything?
  2. Have I bottlenecked anything by mistake?
  3. Is there any physical constraint? I believe the largest item is the 1080 which will still fit into the motherboard and case.

grpocz

Reaction score
Win 10 can buy on reddit. You wanna save more can buy win 8.1 64bit $20 update to win 10. Don't think they close loop hole yet.

Buy r7 1700 oc as far as possible + aio 280mm? X62/h110i.

Last edited:

joshuaho

Reaction score
Mobo- case, not compatible, instead of the nano s go for the define mini C it's a matx case.

Or if u want to go for an itx build, go for itx mobo from ASRock/biostar. PSU also has to be SFX not standard atx psu. Also I would say avoid CM PSU if u can (lots of bad comments on it though I am using a 1000W CM)

I think I read through the forum about those rams not being good for OC, not too sure on that as still haven go explore much into it. Since Ryzen benefits from faster ram speeds, it's worth the OC.

For the GPU, 1k Budget, can check over on carousell for pre owned 1080ti, lucky can try to bargain with them to hit ur Budget. However check the output ports and Ensure that they meet ur requirements. Don't like me go buy FE edition and then LL suck thumb no DVI-D. End up sell and buy different brand to have DVI-D support.

If u don't need such a powerful GPU, can consider gtx 1070 approximately 600~ give and take

For WD black, advise don't waste ur money on the black, go for blue it's cheaper, or red if u Want those "nas" compatible HDD

Win10 key if it's me, I'll just buy from carousell. Others say Taobao but Im bad at Chinese can't find ):

Hi everyone. Thanks for the comments. After taking them in and looking around, I came up with a draft list of components.

Case [Fractal Design Nano S] - $119 (Amazon Prime or Bizgram)
Motherboard [Gigabyte AB350M-Gaming 3] - $152 (Bizgram)
CPU [Ryzen 7 1700X] - $571 (Bizgram)
Cooler [???] - Please advise, budget $135?
PSU [Cooler Master Lite 700W] - $95 (Bizgram)
RAM [Corsair LPX DDR4 3200Mhz 2 Ch, 16GB] - $237 (Bizgram)
Graphic Card [MSI 1080GTX] - $830 (Amazon; thougt I saw this then most recent check it was gone. Maybe I cockeye? Anyway, budget $1k if necessary -.-)
Samsung 850 M.2 SATA 2280 500GB - $265 (Bizgram)
Western Digital Black 7200RPM 2TB - $188 (Bizgram)
Windows 10 64bit - $225 (Bizgram)

Total (using higher budget figures): Approx $3,000
[/LIST]

joshuaho

Reaction score
Word limit hit ><

Cpu cooler u could try cryorig quad Lumni (for RGB bling bling if keen otherwise just go for the non rgb version) but have to Ensure it has am4 bracket. Since u not going to oc (not to the maximum at least, assume u gonna do minor oc in order to get more performance out of ur parts) would not recommend any AIO or custom water loop. It's just not worth spending close to $200 for an AIO. Might as well spend on other components like ssd or GPU.

However if u change ur mind and want to look into OCing at higher frequencies and tighter timings, can consider ID cooling for a more reasonable pricing, or if u Wan RGB goddess can get the kraken x52.

#disclaimer: I am not a representative of any of these companies promoting their sales. Please don't bash me up for any advise provided.

singupingu

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That disclaimer though. Some bashes people like us for whatever reason I don't even know tbh. In fact, we are just doing a service and didn't even force anyone to take it. Price point is up to the market, didn't even overcharge, and even provided some convenience to some fellow bros who willing to compromise.

Get those who bashes some of them not even the one who patron us. Lol

Sent from PM me if you wanna build a DIY PC or wanna learn how to make one yourself :D using GAGT

elsenoire

Reaction score
#disclaimer: I am not a representative of any of these companies promoting their sales. Please don't bash me up for any advise provided.

Lol...Actually, even if you are but you state it and you give reasonably good advice - that itself is appreciated.

Am still processing your comments and reading up *sweat*.

joshuaho

Reaction score
As Long as it is appreciated it's our greatest reward :) slowly do read ups and relevant research! No rush in building to minimise regret, anything just update the thread and I'm sure many of us here would be Glad to provide advise! singupingu kor Kor always lurking in the forum so can always pm him for timely advise ^^

Lol...Actually, even if you are but you state it and you give reasonably good advice - that itself is appreciated.

Am still processing your comments and reading up *sweat*.

Got to put that disclaimer since latest episode, rather be called a fanboy than a representative Sia -,- do this as a hobby cause it's our interest, people wanna listen jiu go head listen that's what the forum is about. Want to criticise at least be constructive and not using the chance to tarnish reputation, something that seriously BTH.. those shops/companies start from scratch to reach where they are, something those "bashers" do not need to go through..

That disclaimer though. Some bashes people like us for whatever reason I don't even know tbh. In fact, we are just doing a service and didn't even force anyone to take it. Price point is up to the market, didn't even overcharge, and even provided some convenience to some fellow bros who willing to compromise.

Get those who bashes some of them not even the one who patron us. Lol

Sent from PM me if you wanna build a DIY PC or wanna learn how to make one yourself :D using GAGT

acertey

Reaction score
Mobo- case, not compatible, instead of the nano s go for the define mini C it's a matx case.

Or if u want to go for an itx build, go for itx mobo from ASRock/biostar. PSU also has to be SFX not standard atx psu. Also I would say avoid CM PSU if u can (lots of bad comments on it though I am using a 1000W CM)

I think I read through the forum about those rams not being good for OC, not too sure on that as still haven go explore much into it. Since Ryzen benefits from faster ram speeds, it's worth the OC.

For the GPU, 1k Budget, can check over on carousell for pre owned 1080ti, lucky can try to bargain with them to hit ur Budget. However check the output ports and Ensure that they meet ur requirements. Don't like me go buy FE edition and then LL suck thumb no DVI-D. End up sell and buy different brand to have DVI-D support.

If u don't need such a powerful GPU, can consider gtx 1070 approximately 600~ give and take

For WD black, advise don't waste ur money on the black, go for blue it's cheaper, or red if u Want those "nas" compatible HDD

Win10 key if it's me, I'll just buy from carousell. Others say Taobao but Im bad at Chinese can't find ):

Bro, check with you which 1070 card is considerably ok? I was thinking to get Zotac for the warranty of 5yrs...

joshuaho

Reaction score
Performance wise 1070 all more Or less the same, as it is more dependent on thermals.

What sort of case are you using? If it has good airflow, any 1070 would do actually. For cases with poor airflow, usually the Blower Style is preferred. Some cases also have height/ length restrictions so do measurements beforehand.

Personally, Zotac's 5 year warranty is one of the more popular reasons to promote this card. Just to provide u some issues that I experienced with this zotac, I have faced a higher rate of failure with this brand, if I'm not wrong so far RMA-ed 3 out of around 10 of this card across the pascal series but this is also due to adjustments to the clock settings and things felt weird before it actually "spoilt" so Better to just RMA. However the other cards are performing well! It really depends on draw of luck for GPU :) Zotac's card is more known for value so if u don't mind can always go for it!

Other more popular 1070s u can consider are the MSI gaming x, Asus strix, arious or even the evga icx! Find one which u are comfortable with!

*edit: Zotac card can change thermal paste if u want :s22:*

Bro, check with you which 1070 card is considerably ok? I was thinking to get Zotac for the warranty of 5yrs...

riotpatriot

Reaction score
Got to put that disclaimer since latest episode, rather be called a fanboy than a representative Sia -,- do this as a hobby cause it's our interest, people wanna listen jiu go head listen that's what the forum is about. Want to criticise at least be constructive and not using the chance to tarnish reputation, something that seriously BTH..

Don't bother them :s22: question the parts you have doubts with. otherwise just ignore. every hobby forum got one like that one.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.