Weird problem - Pc not fully shutting down

vrael9144

Reaction score
Hi all my pc currently has this weird ass thing going on for awhile now
Whenever i shut it down, after the screen has turn black but everything is still running. I mean everything in the tower - fans, leds, any usb devices attached to it : mouse, wireless adapter etc...
I have to kill the main switch behind the tower or hold power on button to completely shut it, I am pretty sure software wise the pc has shutdown with the screen going black(no signal) and no problems upon starting up again.

Of course i have googled and tried every solution out there (flash bios, unplug all usb, reformat, changed whatever bios power settings and power mgmt settings etc etc...)

I suspected it might be due to a particular windows update but even after formatting/changing os/changing ssd has no help

Any ideas??

vrael9144

Reaction score
Btw my hardware if needed are;
Mb h55ms2
Psu cm 550w
Gpu gtx660
Ssd transcend s220

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Suspect motherboard issue, as power signal to switch off comes from motherboard. Disconnect any USB storage too.

AC2

Reaction score
Maybe u want to enable ERP setting under APM configuration in BIOs. It will cut the supply off the device once u shutdown your pc.

vaiwalker

Reaction score
tried going into safe mode and shutting down? if it does, probably means its a software problem that's preventing it from shutting down properly.

VoltechSG

Reaction score
tried going into safe mode and shutting down? if it does, probably means its a software problem that's preventing it from shutting down properly.

TS did mentioned that after reformatting, the problem still persist.

Hi all my pc currently has this weird ass thing going on for awhile now
Whenever i shut it down, after the screen has turn black but everything is still running. I mean everything in the tower - fans, leds, any usb devices attached to it : mouse, wireless adapter etc...
I have to kill the main switch behind the tower or hold power on button to completely shut it, I am pretty sure software wise the pc has shutdown with the screen going black(no signal) and no problems upon starting up again.

Of course i have googled and tried every solution out there (flash bios, unplug all usb, reformat, changed whatever bios power settings and power mgmt settings etc etc...)

I suspected it might be due to a particular windows update but even after formatting/changing os/changing ssd has no help

Any ideas??

Kougaiji35

Reaction score
It is most likely caused by the recent windows creator update if you did install it.Windows users are also complaining on the web as well.

This solution helped me, try it:

Go to Control Panel
Go to System and Security > select Power Options
Select the “Choose what the power buttons do” option
Click “Change settings that are currently unavailable”
Uncheck “Turn on fast startup”
Restart your computer.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.