Western Digitial External HD

onepiecepop

Reaction score
For some reason, I cannot get to see my HDD in my Computer. However, when I go into the control panel side, the properties state that it is working properly.

Any ideas what is wrong with it? Please advise. Thanks.

Elijahonli

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
check if the disk is formatted to a windows recognizable format in Disk Manager (Under Computer management) .

onepiecepop

Reaction score
paiseh noob here. where is this Computer / Disk management? izzit same as device management?

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
paiseh noob here. where is this Computer / Disk management? izzit same as device management?

Right click on My Computer/This PC and select Manage from the dialog list. Then click on Disk Management under the Storage sub.

onepiecepop

Reaction score
this is what I get. I believe the Disk 1 unallocated is my external HD. What can I do next to recover my data inside or get the hdd working?

35jcltk.png

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
this is what I get. I believe the Disk 1 unallocated is my external HD. What can I do next to recover my data inside or get the hdd working?

35jcltk.png

since your drive is unallocated, therefore u cant even read or extract data through normal means. as in basically your drive is in RAW system. but is your ext HDD previous a Mac formatted system?

onepiecepop

Reaction score
since your drive is unallocated, therefore u cant even read or extract data through normal means. as in basically your drive is in RAW system. but is your ext HDD previous a Mac formatted system?

previous a Mac formatted system? haha I don't understand this. I just bought the HD from Challenger then plug in straight use, never format or anything before if that is what u mean.

GrimaH

Master Member
Reaction score
Right click on the unallocated volume and format as a simple NTFS volume, and your HDD will show up.

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Right click on the unallocated volume and format as a simple NTFS volume, and your HDD will show up.

but by doing this his data will become unrecoverable though....unless this hdd really no longer have data :o

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
previous a Mac formatted system? haha I don't understand this. I just bought the HD from Challenger then plug in straight use, never format or anything before if that is what u mean.

well forget the norm of technical issues, as in now currently ur hdd is unreadable and data extraction might need a software to do it, but im not sure if most software can read drive in unallocated drive or not, beside that im not even sure your all your data still exist or only some still exist.

but if your hdd really have no data u can use girmgh method.

next i wont reco this method if your ext hdd have seal on the screw holes or around the case, but if u can, dismantle your your ext hdd and plug the hdd to your pc and see if you can read any data or show the same results. cos im suspecting might be the ext hdd controller have issues.

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Could be connection problem, power supply problem or faulty board on the enclosure.

You can remove from enclosure and try connect directly to motherboard. But most likely encrypted

No hope of recovering.learn to backup next time. Its a common problem for wd

Last edited:

Louisloo

Reaction score
next i wont reco this method if your ext hdd have seal on the screw holes or around the case, but if u can, dismantle your your ext hdd and plug the hdd to your pc and see if you can read any data or show the same results. cos im suspecting might be the ext hdd controller have issues.

WD external drives comes with intergrated USB PCB. No point to open the casing. There is nothing much you can do.

Try changing cable or computer. The disk might get recognized again.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.