Who Switched Back to Win 7 from Win 10?

Koenig168

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Multiple use as in you install and reinstall several times on the same PC?

Nope. I never installed it previously. I bought the key but didn't use it as I had another copy of MS Office. When I built the current rig, I tried to install and that was when I found out that the key had been blocked.

Gloom me

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nope. I never installed it previously. I bought the key but didn't use it as I had another copy of MS Office. When I built the current rig, I tried to install and that was when I found out that the key had been blocked.

Oh probably this one different case.

But it's quite a mystery that your key is being misused since it's new?

Sigh, come to think of it, why don't they tie the retail key to MS account instead?

jedi5diah

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
imo as a ui designer

the interface since 8 to 10 is horrendous, you can't simply put a clean mobile ui into a desktop.

the saying of don't change or fix what's not broken.

in short there's no fluidity or unity on win 10 ui design

avsquare

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
imo as a ui designer

the interface since 8 to 10 is horrendous, you can't simply put a clean mobile ui into a desktop.

the saying of don't change or fix what's not broken.

in short there's no fluidity or unity on win 10 ui design

Design is pretty a subjective matter.

In fact I like how it looked over Win8 itself.

The exact reason that they adopted some of the things mobile/smartphone users have been seeing/wanted such as no borders, everything looks so much neater to me.

With the removal of borders on all programs (except the top/menu bar) it sort of increases your screen asset like how thin/bezel-less smartphones are, and for me who opens lots of programs over 3 monitors at one go I can stack them closer and viewing more of each of the program at one go.

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Tbh why harp over ui design when one can install a start button itself. @_@

Ui design over the past years all can change. Not necessary to be stock.

enenyi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Design is pretty a subjective matter.

In fact I like how it looked over Win8 itself.

The exact reason that they adopted some of the things mobile/smartphone users have been seeing/wanted such as no borders, everything looks so much neater to me.

With the removal of borders on all programs (except the top/menu bar) it sort of increases your screen asset like how thin/bezel-less smartphones are, and for me who opens lots of programs over 3 monitors at one go I can stack them closer and viewing more of each of the program at one go.
Isn't that blatantly copying Apple's MacOS concept? :s13::s13::s13:

The unique thing about Windows is windows. The windowed panel tiling that allows the user to see almost all his programs at once. Those in focus and not in focus. And the concept of desktop is literally a desktop (a.k.a. tabletop). It allows the user to spread items around the desktop however messy or neat he wants to be. But there must be borders to demarcate which UI elements belong to which panel (like a document on an office tabletop). So that's where Windows stand out from its other competitors like Apple and Linux vendors in the OS market. At one glance of my desktop, I see 10 panels running, 2 of them are alerting calling for my attention, I have a file transfer, etc, etc. All spread out within a desktop the size of a monitor screen.

If Microsoft decides to go for a 'cleaner' outlook in desktop mode, might as well copy Apple's OSX design where the focus is on the app that is running rather than handling multi-tasking? :s13:

tekster

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can download win10 to thumbdrive and install using USB?

Kapish

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
what's so horrendous abt the ui? maybe care to elaborate.
because from a normal user viewpoint i really cannot see any flaw in the design unless i start nitpicking

jedi5diah

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
nothing wrong with ui just my opinion, but you guys should try ubuntu very similar to mac but alot more defined at its best.

itz better u try yourself and feel the difference

for example i love MIUI before 6, after they mimic ios 6 they just loses the special touch.

Last edited:

enenyi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
what's so horrendous abt the ui? maybe care to elaborate.
because from a normal user viewpoint i really cannot see any flaw in the design unless i start nitpicking
This thread is about nitpicking. Else a satisfied Windows 10 user wouldn't come up with such a thread title. :s13:

Takechan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This is just my personal opinion.. but for the first time ever after installing W10, I find Edge > Chrome- my go-to browser at home (W8) and work (W7). I love its minimalistic design.. once I went back to Chrome, the browser felt outdated. However it started to become meh for me when it loads those sites with plenty of ads.. partly also because I have adblock for Chrome.

BTW, I dislike the integrated start menu.. Thought they maintained a classic WXP/7 start menu style with an extension of tiles on the right? Saw screenshots of the preview builds and thought it was that way. Anyway to change this? Couldn't come across anything thus far to try & change it while playing around yesterday.

Last edited:

avsquare

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Isn't that blatantly copying Apple's MacOS concept? :s13::s13::s13:

The unique thing about Windows is windows. The windowed panel tiling that allows the user to see almost all his programs at once. Those in focus and not in focus. And the concept of desktop is literally a desktop (a.k.a. tabletop). It allows the user to spread items around the desktop however messy or neat he wants to be. But there must be borders to demarcate which UI elements belong to which panel (like a document on an office tabletop). So that's where Windows stand out from its other competitors like Apple and Linux vendors in the OS market. At one glance of my desktop, I see 10 panels running, 2 of them are alerting calling for my attention, I have a file transfer, etc, etc. All spread out within a desktop the size of a monitor screen.

If Microsoft decides to go for a 'cleaner' outlook in desktop mode, might as well copy Apple's OSX design where the focus is on the app that is running rather than handling multi-tasking? :s13:

Hmm? What makes you think that I am even using the multi-tasking tool win10 provide? That's like for single screen users and I have stated that I have 3 monitors running at one go.

Each monitor I have multiple programs/panels running where the border-less UI in win10 allows me them to be stacked tighter and of course, view them at slightly "larger" because all the space originally taken by the borders are removed.

I do not wish to talk about "copying" things because it would just end up with all the nerd rage and fanboy talks. All I can say is why does Apple copy Samsung and Samsung copies Apple? Like I said, Design and UI are things that are subjective to respective users and companies are just trying to create products that satisfy their users's wants and needs.

No I do not like the Win7/XP start menu. I don't need to know the whole list of programs that I have installed and search for them in the list every time I want to launch something. I know exactly what my machine have and what program I want to launch. Win8's seach style fits me properly. Why do I want to click the damn start menu to look for the "Adobe" Folder, click it to find the list of Adobe programs that I have? In Win8/10 all I need to do is press the windows key on my keyboard, type "photo" or "adobe" and Adobe Photoshop will show up, press the enter key and there you go. I launch every single program and even control panel stuff this way.

chengsun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Upgraded and downgraded by to Win7. Not I don't like or buggy, just that I could not use connect to my work vpn on Win10, not compatible with my company platform yet.

I will upgrad again once I'm done with a VM for that purpose.

enenyi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hmm? What makes you think that I am even using the multi-tasking tool win10 provide? That's like for single screen users and I have stated that I have 3 monitors running at one go.

Each monitor I have multiple programs/panels running where the border-less UI in win10 allows me them to be stacked tighter and of course, view them at slightly "larger" because all the space originally taken by the borders are removed.

I do not wish to talk about "copying" things because it would just end up with all the nerd rage and fanboy talks. All I can say is why does Apple copy Samsung and Samsung copies Apple? Like I said, Design and UI are things that are subjective to respective users and companies are just trying to create products that satisfy their users's wants and needs.

No I do not like the Win7/XP start menu. I don't need to know the whole list of programs that I have installed and search for them in the list every time I want to launch something. I know exactly what my machine have and what program I want to launch. Win8's seach style fits me properly. Why do I want to click the damn start menu to look for the "Adobe" Folder, click it to find the list of Adobe programs that I have? In Win8/10 all I need to do is press the windows key on my keyboard, type "photo" or "adobe" and Adobe Photoshop will show up, press the enter key and there you go. I launch every single program and even control panel stuff this way.
Then u r exactly the user type Microsoft was aiming for in Windows 8's Metro style. :s13:

For me, instead of searching in Windows' search box (or Mac's finder), I prefer to double-click on a shortcut I already created on my desktop for that program. This is prob wad Windows XP/Vista/7 users are already used to, having a clutter of shortcuts on their desktop.

And u see the amazing thing? That Windows 10 miraculously merges both of us totally different types of Windows users into a single OS called Windows 10? :s13:

mocax

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
in windows 7 just pin my programs on taskbar.... hardly use the start menu.... except to search for some admin tools... :o

until now i still haven't received any notification to upgrade... :(

avsquare

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Then u r exactly the user type Microsoft was aiming for in Windows 8's Metro style. :s13:

For me, instead of searching in Windows' search box (or Mac's finder), I prefer to double-click on a shortcut I already created on my desktop for that program. This is prob wad Windows XP/Vista/7 users are already used to, having a clutter of shortcuts on their desktop.

And u see the amazing thing? That Windows 10 miraculously merges both of us totally different types of Windows users into a single OS called Windows 10? :s13:

That I agree. Actually I used to have a ton of desktop shortcuts and folders too until it becomes too many and gets confusing and spoils the wallpaper that I have chosen so I have decided to clean up the desktop entirely, and the Metro UI to launch prog was godsend for me.

And yup, Win 10 is a product that tries to satisfy both 7 and 8 users :D

jedi5diah

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
in windows 7 just pin my programs on taskbar.... hardly use the start menu.... except to search for some admin tools... :o

until now i still haven't received any notification to upgrade... :(

clone to another disk to upgrade and keep both!

DXMachina

Banned
Reaction score
So whats the best part about win10?

To me, it's a plethora of things that enenyi mentioned, and of course, DX12 (which of course seems pretty important to you too.).

As I said earlier, DX12 IS PART of Windows 10 and is exclusive to Windows 10, so to me it seems that you don't have a choice and it's a matter of time before you suck it up, and go back to Windows 10. Now, if you are willing to do that, doesn't that make Windows 10 the best version to you in the grand scheme of things? :)

Last edited:

Takechan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That I agree. Actually I used to have a ton of desktop shortcuts and folders too until it becomes too many and gets confusing and spoils the wallpaper that I have chosen so I have decided to clean up the desktop entirely, and the Metro UI to launch prog was godsend for me.

And yup, Win 10 is a product that tries to satisfy both 7 and 8 users :D
I prefer a mixture of both. I often search, though I prefer to see what I've recently installed/frequently used. Like games, i leave the favourites on my desktop. Nothing else.

For the rest, when I know what to search, I will just type it out.

The problem is when I don't know what to search - Sometimes I instinctively and thru memory I can quickly navigate to a particular location in some folder faster than I can mentally spell out what I wanted to find.

Speaking of which, I probably just need to re-orientate myself to W10's new start menu interface.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.