HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Build Your Own NAS (BYON)

Like Tree56Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2017, 12:50 PM   #166

Exclamation DIY NAS with Windows Storage Spaces - Expandability questions

Hi Guys,

I am running Storage Spaces on my Windows 10 PC, with 6x6TB HDDs, in parity mode with 4 columns.
Its running fine for my purpose, which is mostly storing and retrieving media files.
Now, as I'm close to 99% usage, I need to expand my storage without spending too much.
I would also like to downsize my motherboard/CPU combo to something very power efficient with onboard GFX as I don't play games anymore, but still must be able to play 4k videos natively without any form of lag.
Already have 2x6TB spare to use, but no more SATA ports on my motherboard. And my case can add only two more HDDs, hence looking for options on cases that can hold more HDDs, but without a backplate as Im scared like hell with those backplate failures, and really prefer native SATA connection direct to motherboard/HBA card.

Specs at a glance: Asus M5A97 Evo R2.0, AMD FX-8150, 4x4GB Kingston DDR3 RAM, GTX 560 GFX, NZXT Full Tower Case, 6x6TB HDD + 1TB SSD boot disk, and a 600W 80+ GOLD PSU.

Now, I'm trying to find the most cost effective upgrade with certain objectives in mind (like upgradability (options to add more drives in futrure), replacability (easiness of replacement in case of failure), availability (ability to get it locally), cost (not willing to sell my kidney), warranty (2-3year coverage would be nice) etc.)

Options I know of so far are:
1. Get PCIe HBA card that can support at least 8xSATA HDDs (Need two of them, in case one fail as these need to be bought from overseas to save cost, if you know how to get them locally at a slightly higher cost, please help to share!)
2. Get a Motherboard with atleast 12x or more SATA ports + a power efficient CPU bundled (extremely difficult to find a cost effective bundle available locally with these requirements, please help!)
3. Get an 8-Bay NAS, with possibility of adding another 8-10Bay extension in future. (Extremely expensive solution, even more expensive to replace in case of failure, etc., hence least preferred)
4. Get an 8-Bay JBOD enclosure with eSata interface (Reviews and comments around the web mention a lot of backplate failures leading to data loss etc, hence very scared to explore this option, and also expensive to replace in case of failure)

Please share your suggestions and knowledge in this subject!

Last edited by neosree; 03-04-2017 at 12:58 PM..
neosree is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.