Buyer's Guide II: Extreme, High-End, Mid-Range, Budget, and Entry Level Systems - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatthumb

Reaction score
Btw Biostar mobo prices going up by 30-40$ and RAM most prob will cost u 5$ more than pricelist :(

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi!!

need advice on my build..will use it for solidworks,cad drawings,photoshop n watching videos at 1080p..games played will b dota,warcraft,mw n football manager...

after reading thru the many threads n googling abit i came up wif this...

1.3k rig
cpu+mobo - i5-2500k + Asrock P67 Pro3/BIOSTAR TP67XE
ram - g.skill ddr3 - 1333 black pcb (2×4gb)
gpu - sapphire hd 6950 1gb
hdd - hitachi 7k1000.c 1TB/spinpoint f3
odd - sony 24× cd/dvd writer
psu - hexa 400w/aurum 400w
case - ikonik en 2
os - win 7 HP 64bit
cpu cooler - xigmatek gaia
monitor - dell u2312hm (not included in 1.3k budget)

not sure weder above mentioned build is within 1.3k as have not gone to sls to check current prices..so do advice n correct me..n wud lyk dis build to b able to fix ssd in future...

many thanks...

ern...can hexa 400w/aurum 400w support Sapphire HD 6950 1GB???
It at least need 2X 6pins of the PSU.... (75 wts x 2)

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just purchased my DIY rig after many many years of using laptop.

The specs are:
i5 2320 + Asrock H61 U3S3
2 x 4gb Gskill DDR3
Palit GTX560Ti 1gb factory OCed version
WD 1tb sata 3
LG 24x ODD
Cooler Master 341 case
PSU Seasonic 620w
TP-Link 150Mbps wifi dongle

Abt 1020$ damage, all from pc themes.

Hopefully this rig (mid range?) can last me for a good 3yrs :D

seems good but the HDD, im not sure u getting blue or black, but using hitachi now, felt more powerful than WD , and how much u bought for dongle??? Wanna to know how much b4 going that to buy.

Thanks in Advance.

fatthumb

Reaction score
seems good but the HDD, im not sure u getting blue or black, but using hitachi now, felt more powerful than WD , and how much u bought for dongle??? Wanna to know how much b4 going that to buy.

Thanks in Advance.
$22 from PC Themes, I got it for $20 (bundle with the PC).

HDD I think the difference is hard to felt imho :D

fatthumb

Reaction score
What is this? Sonic? Or Sonic Platinum? How much was it?
Just look at the receipt, it's Sonic version. Price should be between 301 to 319 (not very sure since I asked for some overall discount from them). I bought all components from PC Themes, hassle free :)

ps: Sonic Platinum is for 560 right? Palit website only listed 560 Ti Sonic, no Sonic Platinum except for 560.

Felfirez

Master Member
Reaction score
Just look at the receipt, it's Sonic version. Price should be between 301 to 319 (not very sure since I asked for some overall discount from them). I bought all components from PC Themes, hassle free :)

ps: Sonic Platinum is for 560 right? Palit website only listed 560 Ti Sonic, no Sonic Platinum except for 560.

IIRC there was a sonic plat for Ti 2 months back. Yours is just a sonic.

fatthumb

Reaction score
Yup mine is just a sonic, originally wanted to get the cheapest version :s13: but OOC :( so I settle with Sonic edition.

Do you know what's the diff between Sonic and Sonic Platinum?

Felfirez

Master Member
Reaction score
Yup mine is just a sonic, originally wanted to get the cheapest version :s13: but OOC :( so I settle with Sonic edition.

Do you know what's the diff between Sonic and Sonic Platinum?

Just higher clock rates and a slightly better cooler. IIRC platinum has some issues with it's vrm cooling, or was it for the 570.. Ah well just enjoy your card. :p

majormao

Reaction score
Hi all. Need your guys help in recommending a new gaming rig. Excluding OS, Monitor, DVD drive, K/B and mouse. Games that i will be playing are Total War Shogun 2, D3, SC2. Budget wise not exceeding $1.5K. Of course, the lower the better. Actually what i'm looking for is the most value for money that i can play the games above with max settings.

Specs i have in mind:

RAM: Kingston ValueRAM DDR3-1333 4GB x2
CASE: ikonik en2

Ok as for the rest im a little confuse :s22:

Processor and motherboard, im looking at i5 2400 with a gigabyte board with no OC. Which board to choose, totally no idea, so hopefully you guys can help me out here =) And may i know whats the difference between a P67 and Z68 board? Actually I don't mind spending more to get an i5 2500k processor with a suitable board so i can OC, but just like to know weather if it is worth the price difference.

For GPU, im looking at Palit GTX 560 TI 2GB. Is it enough to play the above with max settings or do i need something better? My current monitor resolution is 1680*1050.

For HDD, im looking at Hitachi 1TB 32MB. They will be used primary for OS, some programs (MS office, adobe etc..) and one or two games i play frequently. Is it better to use SSD or is it better to just stick with a HDD given the huge price difference.

As for power supply, any will do, as long its reliable and have enough juice to power the above items.

Thanks!!!:D

Oh just to add in, im using win7 home premium 64bit as my os and LG w2241T as my display.

Last edited:

wacko

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

There was never a Sonic Platinum for 560 Ti, only Sonic. And as for Palit's 560 offering, no Sonic, only Sonic Platinum.

wacko

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Just higher clock rates and a slightly better cooler. IIRC platinum has some issues with it's vrm cooling, or was it for the 570.. Ah well just enjoy your card. :p

This is wrong info... :s22::s22:

Anuar316

Reaction score
CPU+MB: Intel Core i5-2500K + Biostar TP67XE @ $433
HSF: Xigmatek Gaia @ $39 (PC Themes)
RAM: Kingston ValueRAM DDR3-1333 CL9 4GB X3 @ $84
Use 4GB as RAM disk for virtual RAM.
GPU: MSI HD 6850 1GB Cyclone @ $225
HDD: Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB [SATA II] @ $67
ODD: Lite-On 24X CD/DVD Writer [Retail] @ $26
PSU: FSP Aurum 400W [80 Plus Gold] @ $95
CASE: Fractal Design Core 3000 @ $99
OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit [OEM] @ $111

Total: $1179

Optional:
HSF: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus @ +$10 (PC Themes)
If the above went OOS.
GPU: Leadtek GTX 560 Ti 1GB OC @ +$100 (Bell Systems)
PSU: FSP Aurum 500W [80 Plus Gold] @ +$20

If you think you will like to play more demanding games in the future.

Buy all from Tradepac unless specified in brackets.

thanks for the recommendation mr. $face..

fatthumb

Reaction score
Oo. My bad. :o I do remember people complaining about the Sonic plat having heat issues on the vram. I think I got that wrong as it was for the GTX570.
:s13: Lucky for me then, heat issue for gaming is a big no no :s13:

WhatsYourWish

Reaction score
Hi all. Need your guys help in recommending a new gaming rig. Excluding OS, Monitor, DVD drive, K/B and mouse. Games that i will be playing are Total War Shogun 2, D3, SC2. Budget wise not exceeding $1.5K. Of course, the lower the better. Actually what i'm looking for is the most value for money that i can play the games above with max settings.

Specs i have in mind:

Processor and motherboard, im looking at i5 2400 with a gigabyte board with no OC. Which board to choose, totally no idea, so hopefully you guys can help me out here =) And may i know whats the difference between a P67 and Z68 board? Actually I don't mind spending more to get an i5 2500k processor with a suitable board so i can OC, but just like to know weather if it is worth the price difference.

For GPU, im looking at Palit GTX 560 TI 2GB. Is it enough to play the above with max settings or do i need something better? My current monitor resolution is 1680*1050.

For HDD, im looking at Hitachi 1TB 32MB. They will be used primary for OS, some programs (MS office, adobe etc..) and one or two games i play frequently. Is it better to use SSD or is it better to just stick with a HDD given the huge price difference.

As for power supply, any will do, as long its reliable and have enough juice to power the above items.

Oh just to add in, im using win7 home premium 64bit as my os and LG w2241T as my display.

CPU+MB: Intel Core i5-2500k + Biostar TP67XE ~ $433 (Tradepac)
HSF: Xigmatek Gaia ~ $39
RAM: G.Skill DDR3-1333 CL9 4GB x2 ~ $60
GPU: Leadtek GTX 560 Ti 1GB OC ~ $329
SSD: OCZ 120GB Vertex 2 SATA 2 ~ $259
HDD: Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB SATA 2 ~ $74
ODD: Sony 24X CD/DVD Writer ~ $29
PSU: FSP Aurum 500W [80 Plus Gold] ~ $115
CASE: Fractal Design Core 3000 ~ $99

Total: $1437. (PC Themes)

MoneyFace =p

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Specs i have in mind:

CPU+MB: Intel Core i5-2400 + Gigabyte GA-H61M-USB3-B3 @ $364
RAM: G.Skill DDR3-1333 CL9 4GB [Black PCB] X2 @ $60 (PC Themes)
GPU: Leadtek GTX 560 Ti 1GB OC @ $325 (Bell Systems)
HDD: Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB [SATA II] @ $67 (Bell Systems)
PSU: FSP Aurum 500W [80 Plus Gold] @ $115
CASE: Fractal Design Core 3000 @ $99 (PC Themes)
You need better airflow with more fans bundled.

Total: $1030

Optional:
CPU+MB: Intel Core i5-2500K + Biostar TP67B+ @ +$20
HSF: Xigmatek Gaia @ $39 (PC Themes)
HSF: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus @ $49 (PC Themes)

If Xigmatek Gaia went OOS.
SSD: Strontium Matrix 128GB [SATA III] @ $271 (Strontium Online Store)
You should get the P67 motherboard to take advantage of full SATA III bandwidth.
Price includes shipping, warranty at Upper Paya Lebar Main Office.

Buy all from Tradepac unless specified in brackets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.