lai lah uncle
i help u
this one is fresh off my iphone one, can't get it anywhere else on the net

it's not even agp, it's pci
and no, it's not pci-e u si ginnas.
Allow me to one-up with these shot from my Galaxy Ace:

My 3Dfx Voodoo Banshee

& 3Dfx Voodoo 2 set

Last edited by Maverick_83; 21-01-2014 at 12:35 AM..
Maverick_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 08:14 AM   #153
Arch-Supremacy Member

Mine first PC is a 8086 computer with a CGA monitor bought in 1989.

Anyone Remember Cyrix CPU?
I remember.

I had a 8088 sherry
Shutterbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 02:11 AM   #154

Just surfing the forum and this thread had kept me reading for the next 10mins.

It really let my mind went back to the 90's where my 1st hand-on on a PC : Intel i386 with only 4MB RAM, 512k RAM VGA card, 80MB HDD(Conner), 5.25" and 3.5" FDD. No Optical Drive yet.

I.T had really dug up my interest in the next few years when I D.I.Y my 1st i486 DX2-66MHz system which had cost me almost 3.5k then. It was my 1st PC with a CD-ROM(2x), Sound Blaster 16 upgraded with wave blaster which made my gaming experience more solid!! After a while came the internet with dialup 9.6k/14.4k/28.8k/56k modems.

My last system was a Dual Pentium 166Mhz CPU with a Tyan mainboard b4 I went for NS. This system last me almost 10years b4 I upgraded to a Pentium4 PC and later on Dual Core, Core 2 Quad and now the latest Intel i5-3570k

It was really amazing how technology evolved thru out these years with the internet going so advanced now.
abstrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 03:00 PM   #155

Just surfing the forum and this thread had kept me reading for the next 10mins.

It really let my mind went back to the 90's where my 1st hand-on on a PC : Intel i386 with only 4MB RAM, 512k RAM VGA card, 80MB HDD(Conner), 5.25" and 3.5" FDD. No Optical Drive yet.

I.T had really dug up my interest in the next few years when I D.I.Y my 1st i486 DX2-66MHz system which had cost me almost 3.5k then. It was my 1st PC with a CD-ROM(2x), Sound Blaster 16 upgraded with wave blaster which made my gaming experience more solid!! After a while came the internet with dialup 9.6k/14.4k/28.8k/56k modems.

My last system was a Dual Pentium 166Mhz CPU with a Tyan mainboard b4 I went for NS. This system last me almost 10years b4 I upgraded to a Pentium4 PC and later on Dual Core, Core 2 Quad and now the latest Intel i5-3570k

It was really amazing how technology evolved thru out these years with the internet going so advanced now.
I remember.

I had a 8088 sherry
Allow me to one-up with these shot from my Galaxy Ace:

My 3Dfx Voodoo Banshee

& 3Dfx Voodoo 2 set
Bro we started around the same time. I started a thread on my motherboard journal

Wow Man, I remember those days, Simlim Square is just like my second home.

Nowadays Simlim Square is not as hot as the early 90's.
Etech80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 10:10 AM   #156

happened to chance upon this thread in the forum. really brought back memories of when I first started learning to build my own pc at the age of 17. Back then, it is always about building the pc so that you can play the games that you like.

For those in my era, they will know that they have to edit the autoexec.bat and config.sys. Like some said earlier in the thread, with all the jumpers whether for master or slave and even soundblaster back then was a big thing.

The first pc that i build myself was a pentium, 4mb video ram card and the rest of the specs i cant really remember. I remember i attended a one day course just to learn how to build pc back then. The course and the pc i build after was all paid through the part time job that I did before I went to poly.

I also learnt how to change some of the saved games figures and even patch some trial versions of certain software too. Things that really got me interested in computers are never taught in school. How to disassemble a software back then.

And those days, my house phone bills is very high due to the dialup. when magix came out, i jump onto it almost immediately. it is cheaper than an unlimited dialup account with the ever increasing phone bill.

back to now, my own pc is still built by me, but it is already 7 years old. I hardly want to change it because i dun play games anymore and running debian on it. it simply works , though i have been very tempted to change for the past 2 years. but the truth is even i changed now, how much of a difference will it make ? maybe a ssd will be slightly faster.
vcrpex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 08:10 PM   #157
Banned

I used a Pentium 4 computer for like 9 years, from 2003 until 2012, then bought an i5 computer. 2 years later, the computer power supply exploded while playing my game then got no choice have to change everything in the CPU except the HDD, RAM and GPU cause that i5 computer is a mini desktop from HP and the parts hard to find and were too expensive.
BraveCloudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 10:54 AM   #158
AT

Hi All,

Was searching for used DDR2 ram and search results popped this up. Fantastic retro thread.

My journey are very similar to the older brothers here, I remember Dr Philip Teo and there was another chap... remember something about building/launching a space rocket of some sort, forgot his name though.

Some notable memories were, paying a fortune for a 40MB HDD (yes MB!), playing loderunner on PineApple ][ using floppy drives. As one mentioned drilling a hole on a 720K diskette to make it a 1.44MB one LOL!

Had AMD Athlon Slot A Thunderbird, overclocking it by soldering tiny SMD chips to change the FSB/Multiplier! My AMD affair ranged from the K2, K3, Venice, Barton (mobile chip) to Italy Opterons, to Brisbane K8

Intel from 386, 486, Slot 1, ... to the current i7s

Graphics cards: Voodoo 3dfx, MATROX dual VGA G400 (Yes dual monitors), ATi 9800SE modded to a 9800pro! (was it a pencil trick... my memory fails me)...now till my recent 980Ti

When LAN gaming (early days) was in, I told my kids to have their friends over as I set up 4 PCs networked and they all could play CS, Need for speed 2 underground (the old one). They all enjoyed it as they did not have to pay the LAN cafes and just needed to come over and spend an afternoon shooting bad guys.

All in all, I think the journey has been a very satisfying one, tinkering around, getting "free" MHz (read-overclocking), troubleshooting and buying and selling stuff (for our upgrades) I think these are skills that are useful. Don't think I'll stop doing these things...

DIY FTW
CeleronD likes this.
AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 11:04 AM   #159

I went Sim Lim Sq 2 days back for IT stuff. Must say, the place is still fairly packed, and the number shops for rent actually have decreased. Number of shoppers seems to be more than when I last went a year back. Possibly as a result of Funan's closure.

The old stalwarts are still there. Fuwell, Videopro, PC Themes, Cybermind, Bizgram, Tradepac etc.

I actually saw a couple of new PC shops. Pretty incredible to me considering that retail is doing so badly now.
Some things I noted: Costronic(from the 90s) is back. Probably been back for some months. And Tradepac's receipt is now "Best Computers", from the previous "Best Value Computers"--didn't buy from it, just happened to glance past. Maybe in future it will shorten some more to "B Computers"
CeleronD is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.