Computer assembly: My memories over the years

clhh12

Reaction score
Now Is not cannot set master and slave. It is all done in bios. With set priorities for which ever drive you want.

I realised after i took out my HDD and searched for the master and slave logo.
I couldn't find it.
Lol

silencer13

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
haha! Yah those IDE HDDs where you need to set Master/SLave/Primary/Secondary.

Really very mafan.... set wrongly, the PC won't boot. Lose the jumper plug, really siao liao.

Dr.Vijay

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
And not to forget, for the poorer folks, the Celeron 300A that overclocks to 450MHz in a blink of an eye, and get performance similar to the P2-300 in OC mode :)

I've lost count how many C300A parts I bought to try my luck as clocked them to 525 to 550MHz range. :s22:

Who can forget the PII-300 SL2W8 that could overclock from 300Mhz to 450Mhz? :)

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
haha! Yah those IDE HDDs where you need to set Master/SLave/Primary/Secondary.

Really very mafan.... set wrongly, the PC won't boot. Lose the jumper plug, really siao liao.

Oh man tell me about it. Lost 1 jumper damn mah fan. Travel back to sls just to find spare jumper. And the worse part is it is not easy to find. In the end diy own jumper. Take wire wrapping tool and wire wrap the 2 pins.

RadEoNic

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
But before Nvidia and ATI cards became the industry standards, there were a couple of others. I can't find my Voodoo cards anymore. But I still have my S3 968:

and the predecessor, the S3 Virge:

lai lah uncle
i help u
this one is fresh off my iphone one, can't get it anywhere else on the net

243gif9.jpg

24mrntj.jpg

it's not even agp, it's pci
and no, it's not pci-e u si ginnas.

muddle

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I thought banshee was later gen then TNT? Banshee was good. No need standalone 2d and 3d cards.

bwaysaihump

Reaction score
banshee n tnt2 same time. tnt2 early 1999. banshee end 1998.
i had a riva tnt2. 32MB. used to buy nvidia early on.
during the time of ATI's Rage Fury Max. the only card with 64mb ram!

vanhalen74

Reaction score
And not to forget, for the poorer folks, the Celeron 300A that overclocks to 450MHz in a blink of an eye, and get performance similar to the P2-300 in OC mode :)

I've lost count how many C300A parts I bought to try my luck as clocked them to 525 to 550MHz range. :s22:

I had a few Celery 300A but it just doesn't have the epeen of having a real PII. :s13:

DeadandBuried

Master Member
Reaction score

How about the legendary Celeron 600 SL4NX? Overclocks from 600MHz to 900MHz (66MHz FSB to 100MHz FSB) and even more if you're lucky.

CeleronD

Reaction score
How about the legendary Celeron 600 SL4NX? Overclocks from 600MHz to 900MHz (66MHz FSB to 100MHz FSB) and even more if you're lucky.

900 was very hard.
I think most got 566@850

I had 1. cool, but I didn't know how to oc in those days and up voltage. random hangs, reboots were common.

lycheas

Reaction score
Start with Appe IIe from school.
Bought a 80386DX from Wearnes.
Assemble my first DIY in 1997 with Pentium
Assemble my first multiprocessors with the infamous Celeron dual-CPU motherboard.
Switch over to AMD
Then Athlon
Another Athlon Black Edition
Now back to Intel i5

Everything sunsetting because our electronics and then computer parts industry has been slowly shifting out of Singapore over the last 30 years.

Still remember buying computer parts from suspected illegal shipment or stolen shipments! :) Really black markets in those days.

Still remember Cybermind selling AMD only exclusively because no other shops want to touch AMD because of Intel. :)

Last edited:

Rocket3

Reaction score
I remember Sim Lim Square used to be a haven for shops selling *ahem* CD-ROMs.

There were raids but the shops returned to business after a few days.

Then in mid 2001, there was a massive raid at SLS (can remember police stickers pasted across the entrances to shops). After that raid, those shops did not return to business in SLS.

muddle said:
Last time over clocking was way easier. Just push fsb
Not so easy. Pushing FSB up can cause problems like PCI and AGP running out of spec.

I rmb on motherboards with Intel 440BX chipset, pushing FSB to 133 MHz made the AGP slot run at 89 MHz - too far out of spec for quite a no. of AGP graphics cards.

lai lah uncle
i help u
this one is fresh off my iphone one, can't get it anywhere else on the net

243gif9.jpg

24mrntj.jpg

it's not even agp, it's pci
and no, it's not pci-e u si ginnas.
I had a 3dfx Voodoo 3 2000 16MB card (OEM AGP version) :) . It was a huge improvement (like the difference between night and day :s22: ) over my previous Cirrus Logic AGP + Voodoo 2 PCI combo. Cost abt 160 SGD back in late 1999.

Microsoft Combat flight simulator went from slideshow mode at minimal quality to 30+ FPS in max. quality. :s13:

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.