HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Mechanical KB information

Like Tree126Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2016, 11:40 PM   #16

Any preference as to whether it should be TKL (no numpad), full size, colour of leds etc.?
Probably a full size one.
Led preference: White,Blue,Green.
No switches preference
jess_sy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:05 AM   #17

I tried 2 brands of mech keyboards.

Razer blackwidow x chroma / razer blackwidow 2016 stealth

Corsair k70 mx reds / corsair k70 rapidfire

The razer bw 2016 stealth uses somewhat similar to cherry browns. Kinda like it but i sold away for the blackwidow x chroma as i wanted a rgb backlit kb. Use the blackwidow x chroma for about 3 weeks..and to my horror..the metal backplate turned rusty. Was informed by a friend its a known issue esp in Singapore and Thailand..probably due to our weather.

I changed to Corsair k70 rgb mx reds and now the rapidfire rgb mx speed switch. Good for gaming as the keys are swift and responsive without the clicky noise.

But currently think whether i should get the k70 mx browns instead as its silent yet with a tactile feel. Overall i think the corsairs have better build quality.
jnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:07 AM   #18
Arch-Supremacy Member

Corsair strafe. Sturdy and good clicks from cherry switches.
wkweewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:03 AM   #19
Master Member

Recommendations for 60-100 range? U said 60 upwards

can check out the one I'm using, Team Wolf Zhuque. direct from taobao. it is not the best, but I think it's a good place to start, and it being hot swappable, you can try different switches without having to commit into a totally new keyboard.
zephyr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:17 AM   #20

I tried 2 brands of mech keyboards.

Razer blackwidow x chroma / razer blackwidow 2016 stealth

Corsair k70 mx reds / corsair k70 rapidfire

The razer bw 2016 stealth uses somewhat similar to cherry browns. Kinda like it but i sold away for the blackwidow x chroma as i wanted a rgb backlit kb. Use the blackwidow x chroma for about 3 weeks..and to my horror..the metal backplate turned rusty. Was informed by a friend its a known issue esp in Singapore and Thailand..probably due to our weather.

I changed to Corsair k70 rgb mx reds and now the rapidfire rgb mx speed switch. Good for gaming as the keys are swift and responsive without the clicky noise.

But currently think whether i should get the k70 mx browns instead as its silent yet with a tactile feel. Overall i think the corsairs have better build quality.
K70 hard to find brand new with MX brown, i end up buying the Strafe MX brown

did sell your previous kbs or u hoot 3 of them w/o selling?

Last edited by lunarsong; 02-06-2016 at 10:21 AM..
lunarsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:25 AM   #21
Supremacy Member

Probably a full size one.
Led preference: White,Blue,Green.
No switches preference
If wanna get mainstream brands, go for Corsair and Ducky, the Corsair strafe (mentioned by wkweewee) is a good entry level keyboard, but only red LEDs available. If your budget allows, can look at the Corsair K70 or Ducky Shine 5, if not, I'd recommend a Ducky zero shine.

As for switches, if you're new to mechs, I'd suggest heading down to the shops in Sim Lim to try out the different switches, linear and non-linear (can try X-treme solutions @ level 2).
xSieghartx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:31 AM   #22
Supremacy Member

i added o rings to try, as i've never had them with before, (paid $3 for 100pcs of black rubber o rings). so i thought why not. i won't say i love it or hate it, but i do like how it is not as audible.
I hated it at first, but got used to it after some time, needed a less noisy keyboard for the office environment.

How much did you get your Zhuque for, inclusive of shipping? I remember people were talking about that on reddit when it just came out, does it support PCB or plate mounted switches? I'm thinking of getting it to try out my Zelios, it's just collecting dust since I don't really have the funds to drop $300+ more on my next build now. =/
Old 02-06-2016, 10:32 AM   #23
Master Member

Updated with pictures on post 1 and 2.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:38 AM   #24
Master Member

I hated it at first, but got used to it after some time, needed a less noisy keyboard for the office environment.

How much did you get your Zhuque for, inclusive of shipping? I remember people were talking about that on reddit when it just came out, does it support PCB or plate mounted switches? I'm thinking of getting it to try out my Zelios, it's just collecting dust since I don't really have the funds to drop $300+ more on my next build now. =/

I think I paid about $60 inclusive shipping for the Team Wolf Zhuque. complete keyboard.

should be counted as plate mounted. I'm not sure what switch it supports, but it works with the one I posted, 3 "feet" switches. plastic center and 2 copper pins.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:47 AM   #25
Supremacy Member

I think I paid about $60 inclusive shipping for the Team Wolf Zhuque. complete keyboard.

should be counted as plate mounted. I'm not sure what switch it supports, but it works with the one I posted, 3 "feet" switches. plastic center and 2 copper pins.
Ah, I see. Are those Cherry MX browns with gateron housing? You swapped them out yourself?
Old 02-06-2016, 11:01 AM   #26

I use my Leopold FC900R at work and at home. Really enjoy typing on them.
Millimeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 11:11 AM   #27
Supremacy Member

Share some of my collection
Top: Varmilo VA8m with Ergo-clear switch (MX clears with a lighter spring replacement). White PBT blanks from www.geekkeys.com
Bottom: Pok3r with stock keycaps and MX browns, my only 60% keyboard

No brand numpad I bought from taobao with MX browns and geekkeys PBT blanks.

65g purple Zelios switch, designed by the global mechanical keyboard community and produced by Gateron.

Leopard FC210TP numpad with MX browns I'm using for work.

Ducky Shine 3 with MX blues and Keycool rainbow keycaps (selling this now in hwz marketplace)
zephyr11 and rubbadubbaducky! like this.

Last edited by xSieghartx; 02-06-2016 at 11:16 AM..
Old 02-06-2016, 11:15 AM   #28
Arch-Supremacy Member

Corsair strafe. Sturdy and good clicks from cherry switches.
Got mine for about 100 bucks during lazada+Hellopay sale

Using CM HAF so red backlighting just nice no need RGB
Old 02-06-2016, 11:42 AM   #29

the varmilo VA87M seems like a pretty decent mechanical KB especially when I'm on a budget, how is it like compared to the ducky ones?

any idea where I can try out and purchase the varmilo's as well?
SGxiaosin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 11:48 AM   #30

K70 hard to find brand new with MX brown, i end up buying the Strafe MX brown

did sell your previous kbs or u hoot 3 of them w/o selling?
sold of course.

i now have a brand new sealed razer blackwidow x chroma which razer send me as replacement. going to sell it away i guess.

oh so now k70 no more mx browns? I thought of selling the rapidfire and get that, if thats the case...den i should re use the rapid fire. i kept them back in the box. hmm
jnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.