HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Mechanical KB information

Like Tree126Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2016, 01:42 PM   #31
Supremacy Member

the varmilo VA87M seems like a pretty decent mechanical KB especially when I'm on a budget, how is it like compared to the ducky ones?

any idea where I can try out and purchase the varmilo's as well?
It comes with stock thick PBT keycaps as well, won't shine as easily as the ABS ones those gaming brands usually come with (will probably take years of usage before you can even see it slightly shine). Can get from Taobao, just search VA87m. I'm not sure if there are any retail stores in SG selling it though.

It doesn't have all those fancy light modes like the Ducky range. Quality wise, it's comparable, Varmilos are made by the same company that produces for Leopold (a Korean brand known for it's quality) in China, they use good quality plastics and aluminum plates for the VA87M, no flex or squeaks. There is, however, a known issue with the stock mini USB that comes with the set, resulting in multiple key presses and key chattering. I recommend changing it out as soon as you get it, just a random cheap one would do the job.
zephyr11 likes this.
xSieghartx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 03:31 PM   #32
Arch-Supremacy Member

@sieghart

your poker3 also buy from taobao ah? thinking to get one, although i already have poker2.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:40 PM   #33
Arch-Supremacy Member

Got mine for about 100 bucks during lazada+Hellopay sale

Using CM HAF so red backlighting just nice no need RGB
Strafe really sturdy like one brick.. literally lol.
wkweewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 03:47 PM   #34

It comes with stock thick PBT keycaps as well, won't shine as easily as the ABS ones those gaming brands usually come with (will probably take years of usage before you can even see it slightly shine). Can get from Taobao, just search VA87m. I'm not sure if there are any retail stores in SG selling it though.

It doesn't have all those fancy light modes like the Ducky range. Quality wise, it's comparable, Varmilos are made by the same company that produces for Leopold (a Korean brand known for it's quality) in China, they use good quality plastics and aluminum plates for the VA87M, no flex or squeaks. There is, however, a known issue with the stock mini USB that comes with the set, resulting in multiple key presses and key chattering. I recommend changing it out as soon as you get it, just a random cheap one would do the job.
What's a PBT and ABS key cap? By shine, do you mean like the oil on our fingers will cause the key caps to become glossier and not matte?

That's good to hear, I have decided not to look for any fancy lighting, i'll be satisfied with just a good budget black tenkeyless that's nice to type on.

Saw one of the poker 3 and boy do they look good, wondering if they are more towards the budget side as well or any budget mechanical KB (60%) that looks similar to the picture below?

Last edited by SGxiaosin; 02-06-2016 at 04:10 PM..
SGxiaosin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 04:53 PM   #35
Supremacy Member

@sieghart

your poker3 also buy from taobao ah? thinking to get one, although i already have poker2.
Yup, got my non-led set from taobao, a lot cheaper than local and US prices, I think I paid about 130+ in the end. That's 30+ cheaper than local stores and about $10-20 cheaper than massdrop. If got Poker 2 can just keep using ba, unless you want the aluminum case haha.

What's a PBT and ABS key cap? By shine, do you mean like the oil on our fingers will cause the key caps to become glossier and not matte?

That's good to hear, I have decided not to look for any fancy lighting, i'll be satisfied with just a good budget black tenkeyless that's nice to type on.

Saw one of the poker 3 and boy do they look good, wondering if they are more towards the budget side as well or any budget mechanical KB (60%) that looks similar to the picture below?

It's the type of plastic the keycaps are made of, PBT is more resistant to shine from our finger oil.

For a cheaper 60% keyboard, you can look at the Poker 3 on taobao (beware of fakes, look at reviews) or the KBP V60. For something really really cheap, can look at the RK61 on Taobao (S$40 before shipping), it's one of the few Chinese brands (Royal Kludge) that produces keyboards of decent quality for their price. But this comes with Kailh switches, the company that produces Razer switches. It's also known for it's low quality ABS keycaps though.
zephyr11 and rubbadubbaducky! like this.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:06 PM   #36

Strafe really sturdy like one brick.. literally lol.
strafe is lower end model compared to the k70 right? plastic finishing compared to the aluminium finish on the k70
jnashville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 05:44 PM   #37
Arch-Supremacy Member

strafe is lower end model compared to the k70 right? plastic finishing compared to the aluminium finish on the k70
Material wise u r right but once u got hold of 1 u can try carrying and flexing it (:
wkweewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 06:01 PM   #38
Master Member

Ah, I see. Are those Cherry MX browns with gateron housing? You swapped them out yourself?

the ones in the picutre(mountain of switches) are gateron browns i got off ebay. and yea, swapped them out myself, as it didn't require any soldering work.
zephyr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 06:05 PM   #39
Master Member

the varmilo VA87M seems like a pretty decent mechanical KB especially when I'm on a budget, how is it like compared to the ducky ones?

any idea where I can try out and purchase the varmilo's as well?
really like the va87m, i got it off taobao for about $130 shipped (i think, maybe a little bit more).

it is very sturdy, and the fit and finish is quite solid, and the pbt feels great, only thing i might change is THICK pbt keycaps, hahaha.

i checked out ducky, but didn't really like it, and comparatively, i think varmilo is better, at least for me.

and there are a lot of options for it. whatever lights and switch you want, and the option of top or side print, keycaps and board colors.

almost limitless...

Last edited by zephyr11; 02-06-2016 at 06:09 PM..
Old 02-06-2016, 06:08 PM   #40
Master Member

THIS i didn't know, or felt yet. will upgrade this when i get to sls, get a replacement.

thanks!
Old 02-06-2016, 06:13 PM   #41
Master Member

saw this one, it looks quite decent too.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/magicfo...nical-keyboard

i think should be cheaper on tb.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:34 PM   #42
Master Member

which buyer u bought ur Varmillo Va87M from ah zephyr, can sic link
MrMundy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:18 PM   #43
Arch-Supremacy Member

Material wise u r right but once u got hold of 1 u can try carrying and flexing it (:
Farking heavy. My old cheap cheap kb is like at least 5-6 times lighter.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:26 PM   #44
Supremacy Member

Farking heavy. My old cheap cheap kb is like at least 5-6 times lighter.
Mechanical keyboards usually come with the switches mounted on a metal plate to reduce flexing, feels good to type on and the weight makes it less likely to slide around as well IMO.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:14 AM   #45
Supremacy Member

here is mine

65g zealios tactile on the letters and blue gaterons on the rest

Kusanagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.