My own simple guide to better casing ventilation and cable management.

AhHuat

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ragnarok95 said:
That is easy to handle. Just run it down from the mobo, below the graphic card/PCI cards, instead of over the cards.
oh ya. gam sia
:D

nathetamine

Reaction score
wow great guide!

i wonder if i shld try redo the cable management cos the shop didn't do a great job.
to put cables together shld use cable tie or sleeves ah?

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Sleeves for neat looking and cable tie to tie up the mess.

koknkw

Reaction score
nathetamine said:
wow great guide!

i wonder if i shld try redo the cable management cos the shop didn't do a great job.
to put cables together shld use cable tie or sleeves ah?

I use those wire-tie (type of wire-tie you find tying up the cables in whatever you buy.) that can be bought by the roll (100metres). Available at HomeFix.

Btw, TS, GREAT JOB! BUt i still have problems managing my cables! Hahaa...

Last edited:

papaya00

Reaction score
ragnarok95 said:
Pls take at least 2 hrs to read this thread. By far one of the best i have seem.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18931

From 2003 to 2007. Some of the cable management inside IMO, are goddy.
OMG! this site those cable and water cooling system so cool and nice! make me so tempted to get one and learn to do it!

Anyway why some of their cooling system need to be so !!!!! Want to turn the whole system to air con?

koknkw

Reaction score
AhHuat said:
how do you hide those sata cables?
cant bend them rite? :s11:

Try coiling the Sata cable into something like your landline telephone handset (spring like look)

koknkw

Reaction score
papaya00 said:
OMG! this site those cable and water cooling system so cool and nice! make me so tempted to get one and learn to do it!

Anyway why some of their cooling system need to be so !!!!! Want to turn the whole system to air con?

Won't that be very heavy on electric consumption???

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
koknkw said:
Try coiling the Sata cable into something like your landline telephone handset (spring like look)
That is something i will NEVER recommend people to do. Hiding the cables are better than coiling them up. It make the overall setup look...untidy, which is not what we want.

koknkw

Reaction score
Come to think of it... Just looked into my casing, yeah... it DOES looks very un-sightly! hahaaa....

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
dragonhole said:
Ragnarok, never post IDE cable folding guide? that one help alot too!
A pic i found in XS case forum...my ide cable is doing the same thing as his, and this is what i mean when i say fold up 45 degree, rest on your mobo and all the way up to the drive.

rig006.jpg

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Round IDE cables are a hell to work with to me. I prefer the normal type.

time_shock

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm getting a new case but not expensive ones like Nine Hundred or Soldam. Can recommend a case in the price range of a CM5 to me? I'm using the same case from my Athlon Tbird Era till now sia. The case has seen a lot of CPUs and mainboard, and at least 4 PSU upgrades :D So its time to move on from a generic case

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Hmm....C5 many people say its gd...or the elite series...also not bad...

jtchoy

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ok, here are some pics of my rig and my cable management. Share this with you guys, hope you guys can learn some thing from it. Hope you guys have something to share with me so I can improve it too. Something cheap and effective, like just using cable ties or rearranging, don't need to go out to buy things please!

Ok, overall cable management.
CIMG4085.jpg

Top section of mobo. Can see that it is quite clear of cables so I have good airflow to my BTF90.
CIMG4086.jpg

Bottom section. Quite clear of cables too. Used the sata connector furthest away from the blower of my 8800gts, so that it won't block the intake.
CIMG4088.jpg

One of the ideas I had to manage my cables. Decided to use the second slot from the for the DVD drive instead of the usual top slot, cable-tied all the unused cables neatly and stuffed them all above the DVD drive on the second slot. Its like my 'store room' for unused cables.
CIMG4087.jpg

More on next post...

jtchoy

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Next, this is the 'channel' I decided to use for running all my cable, just at the empty space next to the motherboard. Cable-tied all neatly and used the bracket included with my centurion 5 to stick it to the casing. Wish they gave more of those brackets. The cables are very close to the motherboard tray of the casing, so it doesn't really block airflow and makes it quite neat.
CIMG4093.jpg

The sata connector is right next to my hdd, so very close and the sata cable I had was quite long, so decided to coil the cable to make it shorter instead of hiding it. You can try this too if your hdd is next to the connector. Just take a chopstick and coil the sata cable around it slowly.
CIMG4090.jpg

Ok, cables for casing like power and reset button, power and hdd led just cable-tied them neatly and made the cable straight by hiding the excess at the front part of the casing, away from the view through the side window.
CIMG4091.jpg

Finally, simple way to hide cables for fans. Just tuck them neatly around the fan, then run it up towards the PSU. Can't be seen through side window.
CIMG4092.jpg

Ok, that's all I have! Hope it helps and hope you guys can give some suggestions too.

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
I will never do that to the sata cable, its a ugly sight. I rather hide them. Push your 24in all the way to the side and stuff them inside.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.