HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

The Nuts About NUC Klub

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-04-2016, 10:15 PM   #16
High Supremacy Member

So when I got in, the first thing to do was to flash to the latest BIOS. Very bad idea because the next time I try to use it, it will not start up...
Skylake models also suffered similar serious fates with their recent BIOS, took v36 to bugfix
bios-version-36

Actually I feel at 650 USD for the bare bone rig, I think its not overly expensive since its really a power house despite its size...
Adding on RAM, SSD etc... and it's easily over 1K SGD, may be a tough sell to most of the dwindling endusers still remaining on a desktop PC.

Anyway, with such high hopes/pricing, let's hope that at least Intel gets it stable enough from the get go BIOS v1 this time round.

#BigCannonFairyLake - Intel Inside
MacClipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 07:24 AM   #17
Arch-Supremacy Member

imho, $1000 i rather go build a M-ITX PC.
Although M-ITX size will be alot bigger and power consumption will be more, but can add in GPU and if mobo spoil can replace.

NUC don't have the option of replacing mobo or adding in GPU.
External GPU addon via thunderbolt is sibei expensive.

I will continue to tan gu gu for Intel Atom to improve bah.
x7-Z8700 already beat N3150 liao.
I tan gu gu to see Apollo Lake performance.
Entry Level PC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 09:56 AM   #18

This configure very good for user who need cloud server or host web site using WAMP server and FTP server as well.

Add-in Samsung Momentus 4TB SATA III 5400 RPM 2.5-inch Hard Drive - Free delivery from amazon into the devices and you can download torrent file and access your file from anywhere.
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Moment...nch+hard+drive

Install PLEX on your windows and you can stream all your video over air into your android or windows.
Stream everything
Now you can stream every single movie, TV show, home video, song and photo in your collection to any device, anywhere. Whether your files are scattered across computers and the cloud or perfectly catalogued in one place, Plex organizes it all and presents it beautifully on any screen. This means your phone, tablet, or PC, as well as your big screen through your PlayStation, Xbox, or favorite streaming device.
https://plex.tv/ad/getstarted

There are lot of option you can make use of this product.
Old 18-04-2016, 10:30 AM   #19
High Supremacy Member

imho, $1000 i rather go build a M-ITX PC...
Case of diminishing returns as one throws more and more money at it.

imo, best is to buy what one needs at the maximum cost performance instead of just throwing $$$ at it hoping to make something beyond its intended purposes. Adding $$$ external boxes with gaming video cards... total NUC footprint gets larger, more and more cumbersome too, might as well get a m-ITX or even a more versatile/cheaper m-ATX rig.
eg. my fave portable gaming case with handle

It all depends on how one can think outside the box and make use of its best potential. For Braswell, the super low power of the chip and its improved video capability makes it a very good match for HTPC and other 24/7 operating purposes.

This configure very good for user who need cloud server or host web site using WAMP server and FTP server as well...
Others agree too.

Just check out this guy's multiple Braswell setup with 2 x Asrock N3150-ITX mobos and 1 x J1900 set.
Low power budget servers...

Last edited by MacClipper; 18-04-2016 at 10:34 AM..
Old 18-04-2016, 10:41 AM   #20

Although M-ITX size will be alot bigger and power consumption will be more, but can add in GPU and if mobo spoil can replace.
I find it crazy to spend 1k on a low profile computer.

If i want a pc just for torrent and watch movie and i rather go for the cheapest option and smallest case if possible.

Nowadays BTO so small.
Old 18-04-2016, 01:27 PM   #21
High Supremacy Member

Beebox Packaging

Front

Back

Old 18-04-2016, 01:45 PM   #22
Master Member

I have been using my desktop PC as a sort of HTPC/Gaming Rig for about 5-6 years now. I always looked at my PC as an all in one and couldn't figure out what the appeal of "SMART" TV was when my PC is always "smarter" than these lacklustre crap that TV manufacturers have been throwing our way.

In an ideal would though, there will one day be a SFF rig much like the MSI vortex/Mac Pro that is fully customizable to my liking. It looks small, sleek, compact, stylish and yet really powerful.

Still hoping for that day to happen and I'll go all in
mini_cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 09:27 PM   #23
Arch-Supremacy Member

NUC don't have the option of replacing mobo or adding in GPU.
External GPU addon via thunderbolt is sibei expensive.

I will continue to tan gu gu for Intel Atom to improve bah.
x7-Z8700 already beat N3150 liao.
I tan gu gu to see Apollo Lake performance.
While its true that 1K can get you a reasonably powerful M-ITX PC, I feel the Skulltrail is quite attractive if one is planning on getting an NUC. The processor is possibly the fastest out there, with a proper quad core with 8 threads and a very powerful iGPU.
watzup_ken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 09:30 PM   #24
Arch-Supremacy Member

Skylake models also suffered similar serious fates with their recent BIOS, took v36 to bugfix
bios-version-36

Adding on RAM, SSD etc... and it's easily over 1K SGD, may be a tough sell to most of the dwindling endusers still remaining on a desktop PC.

Anyway, with such high hopes/pricing, let's hope that at least Intel gets it stable enough from the get go BIOS v1 this time round.
Personally, if I ever want to get another NUC, I am not sure if I will go for an Intel NUC. The BIOS QC is really poor to be honest.

Anyway, for a barebone NUC, most will also need to purchase an OS, if they are not using Linux. Speaking of Linux, I think the BIOS/ drivers are not very stable on Linux from what I read online, so best to check before buying.
watzup_ken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 11:55 PM   #25
High Supremacy Member

I always looked at my PC as an all in one ...
In an ideal would though, there will one day be a SFF rig... small, sleek, compact, stylish and yet really powerful.
If you aim to have only 1 x "all in one" PC which is "fully customizable to my liking" then I suggest that you do not even have to wait at all cos you can have a DIY m-ITX/MATX PC in a compact casing of your own choice.

NUCs may not belong in that category though they can fulfill most of your criteria but they would not satisfy that fully customizable bit due to their innate nature of being so compact unless you don't mind adding external boxes, defeating their tiny footprint.

My approach differs in that I have multiple PCs around the residence which I try to task by playing to their respective fortes eg.
- this Braswell Beebox NUC is now doing a swell job mostly as a HTPC media box (5.1 setup with AVR/full range B&W speakers - forgotten total cost but subwoofer alone was 2K iirc)
- X99 rig as the video transcoding/gaming station
- 1-2 surf/work stations in each bedroom for kids

Personally, if I ever want to get another NUC, I am not sure if I will go for an Intel NUC. The BIOS QC is really poor to be honest.

Anyway, for a barebone NUC, most will also need to purchase an OS, if they are not using Linux. Speaking of Linux, I think the BIOS/ drivers are not very stable on Linux from what I read online, so best to check before buying.
Was really quite surprised at the unusually low level of Intel QC for their NUCs too after I started reading up more about them. Scary!

Asrock bundled this Beebox config with a Windows 10 Home licence (pre-installed on the eMMC) but the rig is running fritsch's FOC Openelec beta most of the time so that W10 licence is kind of wasted. Though in beta, Openelec runs so fast, stable and elegant that it is unbelievable.

Haven't gotten around to trying others on the Beebox like Linux Mint Cinnamon which is quite beautiful and stable from recent past experience.

Old 19-04-2016, 07:00 AM   #26
High Supremacy Member

Bundle

Power Adapter
Note the bundled adapter is a real compact wall plug rather than a floor heavy power brick, nice!

Old 19-04-2016, 08:11 AM   #27
Arch-Supremacy Member

imho best value mini-pc atm.
USD$99 Only.
Old 19-04-2016, 08:16 AM   #28
Supremacy Member

Was considering Intel NUC for months but ended up with ITX instead.

Cheaper, more powerful and more upgradeable. Doesn't take up alot of space either.

Still I appreciate the effort for this thread, might buy 1 in the future.
MacClipper likes this.
batniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 08:35 AM   #29
Arch-Supremacy Member

Was considering Intel NUC for months but ended up with ITX instead.

Cheaper, more powerful and more upgradeable. Doesn't take up alot of space either.

Still I appreciate the effort for this thread, might buy 1 in the future.
Only thing about nuc is, it in smaller and power saving.

But at current cost, really hard to justify.
If you want portable better to get a laptop with the same cpu which is cheaper.
Old 19-04-2016, 08:46 AM   #30
Supremacy Member

Only thing about nuc is, it in smaller and power saving.

But at current cost, really hard to justify.
If you want portable better to get a laptop with the same cpu which is cheaper.
That is why I am considering NUC in the initial stage due to its smaller footprint and power savings.

I echo the same sentiments that the cost of it is ridiculous considering that one have to top up for RAM, SSD and OS to make it usable with its cheap U-processors.
batniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.