Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

The Nuts About NUC Klub

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-04-2016, 10:03 PM   #61
Arch-Supremacy Member

WAH MAC!!

Can remember my secret name somemore

Yes. I'm looking for nucs because i use them for streaming during events.
The 2 main factors i am looking at is
1. Power Draw
2. Dual lan
I'm not interested in standard Intel HD graphics as they are not so fantastic for video decoding.

The alternative to a nuc seems to be an iris pro 65w cpu in a slim itx form factor.

I'm using the Zotac CI320 as a bedroom computer mounted on a wall. threw away the standard android player...

Tried those " gaming " nucs 2C/4T with GTX760 / 860 but apparently, they are not gaming enough and lags during epic battles. Am expecting the magnus to have the same dismal performance. Nice power savings but epic lag during crunch time.
take a look at shuttle DH170/DH110, can fit i7-6700k, got dual-lan
quekky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 09:46 AM   #62
High Supremacy Member

http://list.qoo10.sg/item/INTEL-BOXN...49243?sid=1410

any thoughts for the above ?
That's the Intel Braswell N3700 model, pls share here if you get one.

@quekky, looks interesting though one could argue for a DIY thin m-ITX rig with the flexibility of any self chosen mobo.
Beautiful 1.4 litre full Alu Silverstone case

How's Shuttle QC these days? Had 4-5 sets of P4 era Shuttle units long long ago but sadly most experienced QC (dying chipset) issues in the longer run and subsequently haven't touched one since.

#BigCannonFairyLake - Intel Inside
MacClipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 07:31 AM   #63

take a look at shuttle DH170/DH110, can fit i7-6700k, got dual-lan

Yeap.

I looked at those
BUT not iris pro.
sob sob

And if i go shuttle again, i prefer all my stuff in one box. Meaning 1x PCIe card full height which the DH cannot support

i've used Shuttles for a decade now and i think the shoebox form factor doesn't seem appealing. Kinda like the slim desktop form factor where you can put a monitor on top.
tmfwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 09:14 AM   #64
High Supremacy Member

For your requirements, maybe just wait a little longer for the Skull Candy NUC as well as the incoming new Intel 5x5 platform aka STX mobos and then decide?

More Openelec beta Screenshots
This Openelec beta by Fritsch is very functional but seems to lack a screenshot capability so pardon the less than optimal handphone shot photos. Installation was straightforward and fast - boot from Openelec install USB flashdrive, choose destination device and voila, an Openelec boot drive within a few minutes.

With a PC LCD, idle

Old 28-04-2016, 01:40 PM   #65
High Supremacy Member

With a Full HD Sony LCD TV, ongoing streaming via wifi (video playing visibly in the background)

Old 28-04-2016, 10:10 PM   #66
High Supremacy Member

Openelec Uptime
5 days into testing and the Beebox has already clocked over 15 hours of total uptime so far which works out to ~ 3 hours of video streaming per day, super nice and stable!

Old 01-05-2016, 01:03 PM   #67
Arch-Supremacy Member

How's Shuttle QC these days? Had 4-5 sets of P4 era Shuttle units long long ago but sadly most experienced QC (dying chipset) issues in the longer run and subsequently haven't touched one since.
got a few sets to run 247 in office, i can let you know in a month time how's the QC
any tests you want me to do?
http://s12.photobucket.com/user/quek...huttle%20dh170

@tmfwy maybe wait for the new skylake iris pro 580, but it's BGA packaging so gotta wait for mobo manufacturers to include that in
MacClipper likes this.
quekky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:32 PM   #68
High Supremacy Member

Yes, do update on the QC over time, thx quekky.

Old 06-05-2016, 11:53 PM   #69
High Supremacy Member

Beebox Initial Impressions
The Asrock Beebox fulfills a niche in the truly tiny desktop PCs for undemanding home/office users and budget HTPC enthusiasts. Budget explained as in... the lowest cost Intel based NUC so far.
Intel's cheapest NUCs yet... beg for home theater use

With its H.265 hardware support, this Braswell unit should serve quite well into the near future as a HTPC rig, especially with such enthusiastic support from the Kodi/Openelec developers. The extremely earth friendly 6W TDP Intel Braswell processor makes it ideal for a cool running, low power setup for 24/7 operations eg. download station, video monitoring etc...

In addition, the flyweight total rig (with power adapter included) also makes it super convenient to be transported around.

Asrock's bundled package is very functional and practical but can be further improved if the bundled Windows 10 Home had been installed on the larger mSATA SSD instead of the anaemic onboard eMMC.

Overall, it's also mildly interesting for beginner tinkerers too, due to the easy complete access to the interior, exposed by simply undoing a few screws.

With my interest in NUCs newly piqued, I am definitely looking forward to the next round of oncoming NUCs although current indications show that they are going to be priced much higher (~650 USD, ouch!) by Intel due to the Iris Pro iGPU used. But for now, just sit back and enjoy your budget Beebox while saving up a pretty penny for the next gen NUCs.

Old 15-05-2016, 04:10 PM   #70

Hi recently interested in NUCs. Does anyone know if the Skull Canyon is available locally yet? Where is the cheapest place to buy?
alantcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2016, 01:45 PM   #71

Any 6th gen Intel nuc user with working set in this forum? What's ur config?
Ddarksire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:45 AM   #72
Master Member

Have anyone used NUC5CPYH which is Celeron N3050U before? I need some input on people who owns it and performance if the NUC lags or not on normal usage.

I wanna buy 1 to host a game server (unturned) for my kiddo chuck to the back of my monitor.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:06 PM   #73
Master Member

End up purchased the new i3 NUC instead. Total damage 538 including 8gb ram. Will install win10 n do a review later
Old 12-09-2016, 12:31 PM   #74
Supremacy Member

i have been running windows7/10 on this for almost 3 years liao...still going strong. Although not cheap, I love its portability, quietness, etc. Use it mainly for watching videos and websurfing...

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2413649,00.asp

Tempted to upgrade to the 6th gen i5 version...but its more of a want than a need since the current box still meets my needs perfectly.
rAcEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 06:08 PM   #75
Supremacy Member

Did this some months ago if it helps.
http://deluxeforums.hardwarezone.com...-post9179.html

Encrypted11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.