HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Who is using stock red/back speaker cables for their mid/high end MM speakers

Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2005, 05:41 PM   #31
Arch-Supremacy Member

I'll be interested too if the difference is noticable after the switch.
Price vs Performance difference.

btw...i using supplied cables for my MW550 too.
Vittra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 05:45 PM   #32

Interested in upgrading? How much are u willing to pay if I provide such service?

Phil
yo bro.. check ur pm
oracle00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 05:45 PM   #33
Supremacy Member

A rough estimate for a 5.1 speaker.

3 runs of 3m for Left, Center, Right & 2 runs of 5m for Surrounds.

19m x $4/m = $76
5 RCA x $3/pcs = $15

Total material cost will be $91

Phil
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 05:54 PM   #34
Supremacy Member

One more thing, just want to point ou that interconnects even more important. Having good speaker cables won't help if interconnects are crappy.
Here is where I disagree. Have you open up both stock interconnect & speaker wire? I did.. both sucks big time. Its basically multi-strand super thin copper wires.

To put things into perpective based on e above observation.. speaker wires does more damage to audio quality.

1. They are normally longer hence signal deteoriation is also higher too.

2. Interconnects carry low voltage while speaker cable is much higher. So the latter carry much higher current & those thin cables will result in higher resistance. Its like driving a 10 wheeler in a narrow country mud track.

Phil
Old 10-05-2005, 05:56 PM   #35
Supremacy Member

yo bro.. check ur pm
Replied.

For those interested PM me & I will assess on a case by case basis. Strictly no obligation.

Phil

Last edited by Philip; 10-05-2005 at 06:03 PM..
Old 10-05-2005, 09:53 PM   #36
Supremacy Member

my red and black cables not thick enuff...sometimes i listen halfway the right channel no sound becuz the wire come out from the socket....need a better quality and thicker cable
XcoldstarX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 11:42 PM   #37
Supremacy Member

my red and black cables not thick enuff...sometimes i listen halfway the right channel no sound becuz the wire come out from the socket....need a better quality and thicker cable
If thickness is your problem. Just cut off e existing bare wire & strip off e jacket. Twist the new bear wire & u r done. But if u want quality then get new cables.

Phil
Old 11-05-2005, 12:41 AM   #38
Supremacy Member

below $100 count me in...... i am using the stock cable as well n know nuts on those wires n soldering connectors but wished to improve the quality of my speakers output but if got add in the DIY power connector in xtreme forum is best best
Har? What DIY power connector? U referring to DIY powercord is it? E material cost of a belden shielded powercord is around $2X for a 1m run.

Phil
Old 11-05-2005, 12:47 AM   #39
Arch-Supremacy Member

i'm more interested in interconnects as the positioning of my amp and cpu doesn't really allow for those off-the-shelves 1-1.5m ones. i need at least about 2m. so now my setup is decent enough except for the crappy 5m long interconnect dug out from my drawer which i bought from SLT years ago...

btw last time there was this very famous belden coaxial installation cable... forgot the number... got a pair diy-ed from someone... walao i almost flipped. from then on i'm really doubtful of diy-ed cables coz human factor is so prevalent (worksmanship) and probably the cable itself... i mean, it's an installation cable and if it was supposed to be so cheap and good, i dun understand why cable makers won't use it and pass it off as premium stuff.

btw yes, i do believe speaker cables make a slightly greater impact than interconnects, though the golden rule still applies... garbage in, garbage out. last time i was very "yim zhim" one... little little thing can hear the difference and will be bothered by it. now, also sian liao... dun really bother too much.

so phil, can recommend something for my interconnect?

MWTS: Sony EX1000.
weng is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 01:00 AM   #40
Supremacy Member

i'm more interested in interconnects as the positioning of my amp and cpu doesn't really allow for those off-the-shelves 1-1.5m ones. i need at least about 2m. so now my setup is decent enough except for the crappy 5m long interconnect dug out from my drawer which i bought from SLT years ago...

btw last time there was this very famous belden coaxial installation cable... forgot the number... got a pair diy-ed from someone... walao i almost flipped. from then on i'm really doubtful of diy-ed cables coz human factor is so prevalent (worksmanship) and probably the cable itself... i mean, it's an installation cable and if it was supposed to be so cheap and good, i dun understand why cable makers won't use it and pass it off as premium stuff.

btw yes, i do believe speaker cables make a slightly greater impact than interconnects, though the golden rule still applies... garbage in, garbage out. last time i was very "yim zhim" one... little little thing can hear the difference and will be bothered by it. now, also sian liao... dun really bother too much.

so phil, can recommend something for my interconnect?
MM I/C got 1 big fundamental problem which is why I didn't made mine. Remember both ends are those stereo pins which carries 2 channels? It is almost impossible to use coax cables since they r too thick to fit into e connector. Using those 4 cores multi-strand is more feasible in this case.

What is your budget? Maybe I can workout something for u.

I think u r referring to e so-called thousand dollar cable made from Belden 89259. Got a pair of those & they r pretty good. Very clean & tight but not fast enough compared to my Nordost blue heavens.

Phil
Old 11-05-2005, 01:20 AM   #41
Supremacy Member

1813A, Paired - 2 Conductors Cabled, Microphone and Musical Instrument Cable.

This fit e bill pretty nicely. Terminate with Canare F series stereo pin would be perfect.

Phil
Old 11-05-2005, 09:03 AM   #42
Arch-Supremacy Member

MM I/C got 1 big fundamental problem which is why I didn't made mine. Remember both ends are those stereo pins which carries 2 channels? It is almost impossible to use coax cables since they r too thick to fit into e connector. Using those 4 cores multi-strand is more feasible in this case.

What is your budget? Maybe I can workout something for u.

I think u r referring to e so-called thousand dollar cable made from Belden 89259. Got a pair of those & they r pretty good. Very clean & tight but not fast enough compared to my Nordost blue heavens.

Phil
that time i tried is not on pc... it's between my cdp to amp so both ends are rca. yah i see the number now i recognise... 89259... clean and tight but a tad too thin and somehow i dun feel any soul from the music which is one of the most important factor to me... as in it sounded as though it's just reproducing sound instead of music.

Old 11-05-2005, 09:04 AM   #43
Arch-Supremacy Member

1813A, Paired - 2 Conductors Cabled, Microphone and Musical Instrument Cable.

This fit e bill pretty nicely. Terminate with Canare F series stereo pin would be perfect.

Phil
how muchie for a 2m rca to stereo jack interconnect?

Old 11-05-2005, 09:21 AM   #44
Supremacy Member

that time i tried is not on pc... it's between my cdp to amp so both ends are rca. yah i see the number now i recognise... 89259... clean and tight but a tad too thin and somehow i dun feel any soul from the music which is one of the most important factor to me... as in it sounded as though it's just reproducing sound instead of music.
Soul?? Are you referring to warmth instead?

Have you managed to reproduce that kind of effect with any particular brand of I/C? Digital stuff r not renounce for such characteristic. LP & tube will suit u well.

how muchie for a 2m rca to stereo jack interconnect?
No idea, I will have to check with my supplier. Let me know your budget first.

Phil
Old 11-05-2005, 09:45 AM   #45
Arch-Supremacy Member

Soul?? Are you referring to warmth instead?

Have you managed to reproduce that kind of effect with any particular brand of I/C? Digital stuff r not renounce for such characteristic. LP & tube will suit u well.

No idea, I will have to check with my supplier. Let me know your budget first.

Phil
hmm... maybe can say that, but not exactly the usual kind of warmth that typical ICs can produce (though differing standards)... there's just something missing... aiya at the end of the day it could just be psychological effect also since while i'm listening i know in my head that IT'S AN INSTALLATION CABLE. but well, sound is subjective. ultimately the listener must feel good.

my budget.............. hmmm... not exceeding $50, possible?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.