Who is using stock red/back speaker cables for their mid/high end MM speakers

Philip

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1813A.GIF

1813A, Paired - 2 Conductors Cabled, Microphone and Musical Instrument Cable.

This fit e bill pretty nicely. Terminate with Canare F series stereo pin would be perfect.

Phil

weng

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Philip said:
MM I/C got 1 big fundamental problem which is why I didn't made mine. Remember both ends are those stereo pins which carries 2 channels? It is almost impossible to use coax cables since they r too thick to fit into e connector. Using those 4 cores multi-strand is more feasible in this case.

What is your budget? Maybe I can workout something for u.

I think u r referring to e so-called thousand dollar cable made from Belden 89259. Got a pair of those & they r pretty good. Very clean & tight but not fast enough compared to my Nordost blue heavens.

Phil
that time i tried is not on pc... it's between my cdp to amp so both ends are rca. yah i see the number now i recognise... 89259... clean and tight but a tad too thin and somehow i dun feel any soul from the music which is one of the most important factor to me... as in it sounded as though it's just reproducing sound instead of music.

weng

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Philip said:
1813A.GIF

1813A, Paired - 2 Conductors Cabled, Microphone and Musical Instrument Cable.

This fit e bill pretty nicely. Terminate with Canare F series stereo pin would be perfect.

Phil
how muchie for a 2m rca to stereo jack interconnect?

Philip

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
weng said:
that time i tried is not on pc... it's between my cdp to amp so both ends are rca. yah i see the number now i recognise... 89259... clean and tight but a tad too thin and somehow i dun feel any soul from the music which is one of the most important factor to me... as in it sounded as though it's just reproducing sound instead of music.

Soul?? Are you referring to warmth instead?

Have you managed to reproduce that kind of effect with any particular brand of I/C? Digital stuff r not renounce for such characteristic. LP & tube will suit u well.

weng said:
how muchie for a 2m rca to stereo jack interconnect?

No idea, I will have to check with my supplier. Let me know your budget first.

Phil

weng

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Philip said:
Soul?? Are you referring to warmth instead?

Have you managed to reproduce that kind of effect with any particular brand of I/C? Digital stuff r not renounce for such characteristic. LP & tube will suit u well.

No idea, I will have to check with my supplier. Let me know your budget first.

Phil

hmm... maybe can say that, but not exactly the usual kind of warmth that typical ICs can produce (though differing standards)... there's just something missing... aiya at the end of the day it could just be psychological effect also since while i'm listening i know in my head that IT'S AN INSTALLATION CABLE. :s13: but well, sound is subjective. ultimately the listener must feel good. :)

my budget.............. hmmm... not exceeding $50, possible?

oracle00

Reaction score
Yo bro..

These are my speaker cables and interconnect pics:

Speaker Cables:

SpeakerCables_1.jpg

SpeakerCables_3.jpg

SpeakerCables_2.jpg

As you can see, the speaker cables are in quite a bad condition and the way it is connected to the plug is extremely unprofessional :o

Can u do anything abt it huh? The exposed part of the speaker cables can be cut off so that the connection can be improved?

Will post the pics of the interconnect separately.

Thanks!

ISS

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
oracle00 said:
Yo bro..

These are my speaker cables and interconnect pics:

Speaker Cables:

SpeakerCables_1.jpg

SpeakerCables_3.jpg

SpeakerCables_2.jpg

As you can see, the speaker cables are in quite a bad condition and the way it is connected to the plug is extremely unprofessional :o

Can u do anything abt it huh? The exposed part of the speaker cables can be cut off so that the connection can be improved?

Will post the pics of the interconnect separately.

Thanks!
For your case, cut off the wires. Forget about the banana plugs. Use a contact cleaner like dexoit from caig labs (the same company that makes pro gold) to clean the terminals. You could also use pro gold to enhance things a little (only very slight difference). Then connect your cables directly to the terminals on your speakers and amp. Can see that you are using bi-wiring, thus be careful about the polarity.

oracle00

Reaction score
ISS said:
For your case, cut off the wires. Forget about the banana plugs. Use a contact cleaner like dexoit from caig labs (the same company that makes pro gold) to clean the terminals. You could also use pro gold to enhance things a little (only very slight difference). Then connect your cables directly to the terminals on your speakers and amp. Can see that you are using bi-wiring, thus be careful about the polarity.

thanks for ur advice :D actually hor... i forgot i am using bi-wiring liao.. haha... how did u know i am using bi-wiring..

i got this setup quite some time back and am a total noob in this area... btw how do i connect my cables directly to the terminals on my speakers and amp?? nothing for me to tighten my cable wires to my speakers and amp?

Philip

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
OMG, your cables & plugs are badly oxidised. Plus algae are growing too.. This is bad man..

I will need to check whether the speaker cable is damaged. If those green **** grows inside the cable. Its time to say bye bye to it.

For a start you might like to clean up all your binding post with contact cleaner.

I will recommend re-terminating the speaker cable with solder type banana plugs.

If u have the budget I will recommend new speaker cable using Canare 4S11 biwire cable with special quad star geometry. $5/m. Used by many 3rd party branded cable out there.

The interconnect looks pretty ok. Just some polishing will do. But if u want to try some inexpensive model. Can try out e Belden 89259 terminated with Canare F10. Material cost start at $42 for 1m pair.

Phil

dethangel

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oh my .... :eek:

Cable Talk 4? .... I'm using CT 3 ... very pleased with the sound.

I guess you bought those after market banana screw on plugs. I used to have those until it ruined a length of silver speaker cables (as phil mentioned.. the oxidation went into the cables itself! ... then now they're all black - blame my dad cos he wanted it.) ... i also support proper termination as oxdation settles in very fast.

At least 1 once a mth or 2 .... not more... unplug everything .. clean contacts as ISIS mentioned with deoxit ... your system should not suffer from oxidation at the terminals. Another way is to buy caps to cover your unsed RCA inputs on your amps.

ISIS .. where to get deoxit? ... =:p

Last edited:

oracle00

Reaction score
Philip said:
OMG, your cables & plugs are badly oxidised. Plus algae are growing too.. This is bad man..

I will need to check whether the speaker cable is damaged. If those green **** grows inside the cable. Its time to say bye bye to it.

For a start you might like to clean up all your binding post with contact cleaner.

I will recommend re-terminating the speaker cable with solder type banana plugs.

If u have the budget I will recommend new speaker cable using Canare 4S11 biwire cable with special quad star geometry. $5/m. Used by many 3rd party branded cable out there.

The interconnect looks pretty ok. Just some polishing will do. But if u want to try some inexpensive model. Can try out e Belden 89259 terminated with Canare F10. Material cost start at $42 for 1m pair.

Phil

haha... so bad ah... ok ok... first thing first... where do i get this contact cleaner? any hardware store can buy? or must go adelphi to buy? ISS mentioned dexoit.. so i say dexoit ppl will know already huh?

can pm ur quote on ur suggested steps? re-terminating speaker cable with solder type banana plugs? actually last time when i buy the cables, that guy also say that but i dont know how to do it so in the end it became like that..

is the speaker cable which u recommend better than wat i am having currently (assuming still can use).. i spend quite a bomb on those cables.. monster cable talk 4...

is my interconnect (audioquest) good? i think i also spend quite a bit of money there although can't remember.. think even more ex than cables..

oracle00

Reaction score
dethangel said:
Oh my .... :eek:

Cable Talk 4? .... I'm using CT 3 ... very pleased with the sound.

I guess you bought those after market banana screw on plugs. I used to have those until it ruined a length of silver speaker cables (as phil mentioned.. the oxidation went into the cables itself! ... then now they're all black - blame my dad cos he wanted it.) ... i also support proper termination as oxdation settles in very fast.

At least 1 once a mth or 2 .... not more... unplug everything .. clean contacts as ISIS mentioned with deoxit ... your system should not suffer from oxidation at the terminals. Another way is to buy caps to cover your unsed RCA inputs on your amps.

ISIS .. where to get deoxit? ... =:p

haha... mine setup seems to be really very chialat... all of u bros are like :eek: over it...

where to buy those caps huh? wat i say to the shopkeeper? i wan to buy caps :s13:

ISS

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Philip said:
Here is where I disagree. Have you open up both stock interconnect & speaker wire? I did.. both sucks big time. Its basically multi-strand super thin copper wires.

To put things into perpective based on e above observation.. speaker wires does more damage to audio quality.

1. They are normally longer hence signal deteoriation is also higher too.

2. Interconnects carry low voltage while speaker cable is much higher. So the latter carry much higher current & those thin cables will result in higher resistance. Its like driving a 10 wheeler in a narrow country mud track.

Phil

I have never tried the cable before, thus I am not sure of how the stock cables perform.

Even though speaker cables are longer, the signal strength (amplitude) is far higher. The signal carried by interconnects is far weaker. This also makes them more susceptible to interference/noise. This is also why shielding is needed for interconnects or rather all forms of signal cables (cables carrying digital signals are less susceptible to noise) but not the case for speaker cables.

Philip

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
weng said:
hmm... maybe can say that, but not exactly the usual kind of warmth that typical ICs can produce (though differing standards)... there's just something missing... aiya at the end of the day it could just be psychological effect also since while i'm listening i know in my head that IT'S AN INSTALLATION CABLE. :s13: but well, sound is subjective. ultimately the listener must feel good. :)

my budget.............. hmmm... not exceeding $50, possible?

Based on your profile. I will assume u r using integrated amp. Does your M audio comes with RCA out? I will have to do some research to find a warmth cable for u. Confirm your setup & I will see whether I can work out a solution at $50. Might have to use less than ideal plugs thought.

Phil

s1eck

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Need your soldering skill:

1 pair of Interconnect (Mogami 2803 + Eichmann Bullets RCAs)

1 pair of Bi-wire spk cable ( Canare 4s11G + 8 X Bananas & 4 X spades )

Can recommend those bananas & spades?

Deavenger

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
there see mine..

PICT0975web.gif

PICT0973web.gif

btw just to add.. phil experience is very good.. helped me alot when i wanted to improve my speaker sound..

phil.. you should have done this long ago.. dun waste talent like that..

btw do you want to do the power cable for me?? still thinking about it as the hissing still there.. i went to the creativex and that guy told me its because i turn my pc volume to full tts why i get the hissing sound.. at first i believe and tried.. but then even when my pc is off .. there is still that sound..

Philip

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ISS said:
I have never tried the cable before, thus I am not sure of how the stock cables perform.

Even though speaker cables are longer, the signal strength (amplitude) is far higher. The signal carried by interconnects is far weaker. This also makes them more susceptible to interference/noise. This is also why shielding is needed for interconnects or rather all forms of signal cables (cables carrying digital signals are less susceptible to noise) but not the case for speaker cables.

What you said is true too because e impact of noise will be higher. But other than that, the longer speaker cable has far more problems on top of this. Anyway, there are many school of thoughts involved. But at the end of the day remember there is no pointing spending too much on MM speakers because they are not meant for serious listening.

Phil

Philip

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
s1eck said:
Need your soldering skill:

1 pair of Interconnect (Mogami 2803 + Eichmann Bullets RCAs)

1 pair of Bi-wire spk cable ( Canare 4s11G + 8 X Bananas & 4 X spades )

Can recommend those bananas & spades?

If you are too loaded.. can get the super branded one like those rhodium Cardas plug. But since its a 4s11, I would recommend affordable gold plated plug. I'm using some I got from Farnell & it has not oxidised even after 3 years.

Phil

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.