Wireless IP Camera thread

ayeong

Reaction score
This looks like a Foscam OEM, but may not be one. The Foscam has a lower price point though. Mediapro also sells a B series @ S$139. It is one of the lowest priced pan-and-tilt IR wireless IP cam that I have come across.

Thanks for the input.

Ya, went to Foscam webby and notice FI8918W look beri alike the Aztech version but I think there are differences between them both physically and functionality.

Indoor IP Camera

- Wireless "G" from Foscam versus Aztech Wireless "N"
- 12 (Foscam) versus 10 (Aztech) IR LEDs and positioning looks different
- Foscam can manually control the IR leds but Aztech cannot (WIPC302 model and I assume the new one also cannot).

But at S$139 looks like a steal to me and I doubt Aztech would able to match it during IT Show which I guess should be S$169 or S$179 type of pricing for promotional purposes.

Dr_ARCHer

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input.

Ya, went to Foscam webby and notice FI8918W look beri alike the Aztech version but I think there are differences between them both physically and functionality.

Indoor IP Camera

- Wireless "G" from Foscam versus Aztech Wireless "N"
- 12 (Foscam) versus 10 (Aztech) IR LEDs and positioning looks different
- Foscam can manually control the IR leds but Aztech cannot (WIPC302 model and I assume the new one also cannot).

But at S$139 looks like a steal to me and I doubt Aztech would able to match it during IT Show which I guess should be S$169 or S$179 type of pricing for promotional purposes.

The market for wireless IP cam is very competitive. I think Aztech should not just try to compete on price terms but on features and functionality. For example, based on my experience with the various cameras, some of them get disconnected after a while (I leave all my cameras on 24/7). One feature I can think of is that when the camera detects that it gets disconnected from the wireless router, it will then undergo a reboot. This saves the hassle of having to switch off and on manually. Imagine you are not at home, and it gets disconnected. You can't reboot the camera physically.

sky37

Reaction score
My home internet is SingNet Fibre. I have a 3G plan from SingNet, M1 and Starhub. I noticed that if I am using M1 and Starhub, the images are not smooth like you said. I am using different versions of IP Cam Viewer (Android for phone, Android for Samsung Tab and iOS version for iPad2). I've swapped around the SIM cards, and found that the versions do not matter. What matters is the 3G plan. Seems that there is significant network delay. SingNet 3G to SingNet fibre is the fastest. I could achieve 30 fps on my wireless N IP cameras (DIR-5635) with this. Any other combination, I see staggered movements. Delay is always noticed however (of up to 1 to 5 seconds). For example, I call home, and the ring can be heard directly, but it only sounds 1 to 5 seconds later on IP Cam Viewer.

Being on the same network does make a difference (SingNet Fibre and SingTel 3G)...

ayeong

Reaction score
The market for wireless IP cam is very competitive. I think Aztech should not just try to compete on price terms but on features and functionality. For example, based on my experience with the various cameras, some of them get disconnected after a while (I leave all my cameras on 24/7). One feature I can think of is that when the camera detects that it gets disconnected from the wireless router, it will then undergo a reboot. This saves the hassle of having to switch off and on manually. Imagine you are not at home, and it gets disconnected. You can't reboot the camera physically.

So far, the longest I went was 24/7 for about 5 days. So far, no disconnect or at least I didn't notice it (meaning I'm able to view whenever I want to within those 5 days).

Once the product category become too commodity like, price become almost the only competitive feature to fight in out in the market. Something like the netbook and soon to be ultra book syndrome (since all manufacturers have to adhere to Intel definition of netbook/ultrabook and using the same processor and chipset).

Let's see what surprises Aztech may installed for us in the upcoming IT Show before I make a decision to upgrade my IP cam :D

Dr_ARCHer

Master Member
Reaction score
That is why product differentiation is made, particularly for those innovative companies. The market for mouse is very commodity like, yet we still have somee being sold for more than 10 times that of others. It is a business strategy. If you want to compete on price, make sure you keep your costs low. If you can't keep costs down, then you need a different selling point.

geckoSG

Master Member
Reaction score
As it is a imported set thus unable to get support from local distributor, any kind soul able to shed some light on this.

If using Vstarcam H6837WI on LIVE CAMS PRO, there is a profile for it already... DNS setup wise, I remember seeing it being documented somewhere on their setup guide... Check their setup guide on MARIX's website for H6837WI. Can't blame them since you didn't buy from them.
But, their guide is already comprehensive enough.

geckoSG

Master Member
Reaction score
What else can be done to have a smooth video view on these iPhone apps? This is important because quick movement like your maid slapping a baby cannot be viewed if movement are delayed & uncontinuous....

Err... so far, there is no system in the world that allows you to see immediate motion, this includes CCTV system that can be viewed over internet, you need to playback recording to see if your maid really slap your baby...

Even for me when I view my cameras over the internet, I do not really expect to catch any evidence unless I do playback, even playback wise, there will be delay as well and some missed actions too. BTW, H6837WI have recording and playback function. Have you used it?

geckoSG

Master Member
Reaction score
The market for wireless IP cam is very competitive. I think Aztech should not just try to compete on price terms but on features and functionality.

Bro, add one more... features, functionality and SUPPORT!

Its a very bad decision to drop price for a good product just because of the market flooded with OEMs or similar products. Of cos, end of the day, consumer will win and distributors will lose out on possible profit when they go for price matches... We've seen that with the F branding camera, didn't we?

:s13:

reflush

Reaction score
I got the same "abuse use" when I use free dyndns last time, solution is to pay or change another dyndns provider. I'm using No-IP - Dynamic DNS, Static DNS for Your Dynamic IP now, so far so good, only gripe is every 30days have to go validate (let them know your account is alive). Small price to pay since it's free.

btw, is by turn router+modem 24/7 will make less "abuse use"?
because like my case, i turn on router only when i'm not at home. mean everytime i turn on the router, i get new ip from isp, is this make "abuse use"?

so can share if you all turn on router 24/7, use free dyndns, will get less "abuse use" warning?

jimmyleong

Master Member
Reaction score
Try setting the model by selecting one of the approved DLINK cameras from the Synology and user lists

my dlink ip camera just died. not sure if it is the camera or power adapter.

so given the various models being discussed here. what the most common or acceptable ip cameras with decent performance?

Lit3s

Reaction score
anyone or Dr Archer can help?

Again face the same issue. Basically i'm running on starhub maxonline cable with Dlink router.

Inside already set the port forwarding to the same internal IP and open the port for my Foscam.

However even with dyns auto-updater, each time the IP auto changes like from 198.168.0.100 to 198.168.0.106, i will loose the connection from my IP cam viewer.

I will then have to manually go in the setup page of my router settings and again manually change the new IP add.

This is tiring and i also dunno when it will change....

Some guidance pls...

Niaoson

Master Member
Reaction score

Again face the same issue. Basically i'm running on starhub maxonline cable with Dlink router.

Inside already set the port forwarding to the same internal IP and open the port for my Foscam.

However even with dyns auto-updater, each time the IP auto changes like from 198.168.0.100 to 198.168.0.106, i will loose the connection from my IP cam viewer.

I will then have to manually go in the setup page of my router settings and again manually change the new IP add.

Some guidance pls...

You are doing this wrongly. DynDNS is for making sure your WAN IP address is being mapped to a domain name e.g. 123.234.312.211 => me.dyndns.org

What you are trying to do (or rather, need to do) is to assign a static LAN IP to your camera so that it does not change its local IP address everytime you restart the camera i.e. you want to make sure that today the address is 192.168.1.105, tomorrow it is also 192.168.1.105

You can probably do this by connecting to your camera's setting interface then setting a STATIC IP address.

In short, you should be fiddling with the camera settings, not the router settings nor the DynDNS settings.

geckoSG

Master Member
Reaction score

Some guidance pls...

1. Ur camera should be an internal static ip address
2. Ur router should support DYNDNS.org
3. Ur port forwarding should be done to route to internal static ip address

try like setting IP camera IP to something like 192.168.1.150, then map
your port forwarding to this IP

Last edited:

reflush

Reaction score
hi...,
i use dlinkddns.com and still got "abuse use" :(
btw should i enable dyndns in:
- router
or
- router and ip camera?

Dr_ARCHer

Master Member
Reaction score
I used to have it on my router, but I have switched over to using a software client (Dyn Updater for Windows).

geckoSG

Master Member
Reaction score
is that mean your pc also need to be on when use ip camera?

If your camera supports ddns, u can use it. No need to ON your PC at all. Funny that you guys have abuse problem with DDNS. My dyndns have not gave me such issue so far. Am using about D-Link DIR-825 & DSL-2740B routers wif DDNS on it...

reflush

Reaction score
If your camera supports ddns, u can use it. No need to ON your PC at all. Funny that you guys have abuse problem with DDNS. My dyndns have not gave me such issue so far. Am using about D-Link DIR-825 & DSL-2740B routers wif DDNS on it...

so you set ddns on the router? you use free ddns?
btw which one is better:
- ddns set only at ip-camera(even have 3 camera, set only at 1 cam?)
- ddns set only at router
- ddns set only at pc (mean pc need on :( )

spell

Master Member
Reaction score
btw, is by turn router+modem 24/7 will make less "abuse use"?
because like my case, i turn on router only when i'm not at home. mean everytime i turn on the router, i get new ip from isp, is this make "abuse use"?

so can share if you all turn on router 24/7, use free dyndns, will get less "abuse use" warning?

My router+modem is on 24/7.
I install dyndns + no-ip software client on my home pc for redundancy, so if one is down, the other still working. But if I never turn on pc, then it won't update.

I put in dyndns ddns into my trendnet cam
On my router (ddwrt flashed) i put in no-ip
Still have a dlink sharecenter that can put in ddns, thinking to put a 3rd provider in :D

Previously when I put dyndns into my router, I keep getting the "abuse". fyi dlinkddns is from dyndns.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.