>2nd oscillator
>Gapless playback
>2s startup
>24-bit playback, including ALAC and DSD
>Improved wheel
>ESS9018 x 2
>Amp w/ OPA627 x 2, OPA2107 x 2

Initial impressions from a Head-Fier:

I got to try out the 901s at the product announcement event today.

The scroll wheel and the UI are a HUGE improvement over the original, and the attenuator now offers more steps which is a very welcome change. The unit feels very substantial in your hand since it's all metal now.

Gain is now set in the UI, and the HD/vintage switch is gone too. There's also a separate balanced phone out.

I can't quite remember how the 901 sounded like (sold long ago) but I think the signature is more or less the same with the 901s being more transparent. Anyway it was truly excellent with my Hidition NT6-Pro and I think I would pick the 901s over the Calyx M (and probably the 240, too) any day, based on SQ alone.

By the way the 901s will be sold for RMB 8,999 (S$1,919) with the balanced card, or RMB 10,999 (S$2346) with balanced card and a pair of RE1000 (a dual dynamic custom IEM, a collaboration with Unique Melody)

Existing 901 owners can get their units upgraded for RMB 999 (S$213) but the upgraded unit is not exactly a 901s (no 3s bootup and probably some other features).

LL

LL

LL

According the aforementioned Head-Fier, the mod will have:

1. New enclosure w/ improved scroll wheel and buttons
2. New phone outs
3. New stepped attenuator
4. New analog stage

So you will get the improved sound. The second oscillator won't be included, which is ONLY relevant if you use it as a DAC.

Release date will be after CNY.

Looks like 2015 will be the year for high-end DAPs.

This, X7, Geek-Wave, & perhaps an upgrade to the AK240 (plus some other obscure Chinese brands looking to venture into this market, as well). :s12:

Last edited:

Dysprosium

Reaction score
Yup, I'd rather take a wait & see approach first.

I'm pretty darn satisfied with my RWAK240, but in terms of SQ, 901's still the king, IMO.

It'll be fascinating to see how much further these companies can push the boundaries of portable audio devices (not fascinating for our wallets, though).

jelt2359

Reaction score
Haha, glad my translations from Chinese were useful.

I'll probably send mine in for upgrading. Whoever's doing it too, wanna share postage to save on cost?

jelt2359

Reaction score
Any idea what is being upgraded?

No idea. Probably kenz will know... That second oscillator looks like jitter will be reduced, and if I had to guess, probably some retuning. You're probably paying more for labour than anything else.

juggakey

Reaction score
No idea. Probably kenz will know... That second oscillator looks like jitter will be reduced, and if I had to guess, probably some retuning. You're probably paying more for labour than anything else.

Hoot new set than upgrade more worth? :s12:

kenz

Master Member
Reaction score
no hurry issit because you already chope satu? :vijayadmin:

Err... if the link for pre-order is available. :D

Am guessing pretty much the same. Harmonic improvement could also be in mind depending on the oscillator implementation. Any tuning is probably refinement over what the HM901/901a currently offers.

Hoot new set than upgrade more worth? :s12:

Think the HM901s will be good for the initial HM901 users, as the built quality for the original production was lacking in certain areas. For current HM901a users (such as myself), i would be more keen to get a separate one. Probably one of those who like the current "Leica" classy design and also keen on the improved "modernized" version.

jelt2359

Reaction score
Err... if the link for pre-order is available. :D

Am guessing pretty much the same. Harmonic improvement could also be in mind depending on the oscillator implementation. Any tuning is probably refinement over what the HM901/901a currently offers.

Think the HM901s will be good for the initial HM901 users, as the built quality for the original production was lacking in certain areas. For current HM901a users (such as myself), i would be more keen to get a separate one. Probably one of those who like the current "Leica" classy design and also keen on the improved "modernized" version.

In other news, how about that HE1000... My HE6 may finally be retired.

dqwong

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Price is quite similar to Chord Hugo. :s22:

Anyone up for HM-901S + Chord Hugo combo?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.