[Video]Why Power Cords and Cables matters

dqwong

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
found interesting video which can debunk nay-sayers(i.e. some on hydrogen forums and etc) who don't believe in power cords/cables change sound and label them as "snake oil".

As from the video, it seems that Power cords do affect the Dynamic Transient Current that your hifi device demands(especially for subwoofers and home theater systems).

Last edited:

icecapt

Reaction score
found interesting video which can debunk nay-sayers(i.e. some on hydrogen forums and etc) who don't believe in power cords/cables change sound and label them as "snake oil".

As from the video, it seems that Power cords do affect the Dynamic Transient Current that your hifi device demands(especially for subwoofers and home theater systems).

Thanks for the share, finally some objective evidence and explanations for the difference in sound they make.

finclk82

Reaction score
The qn is whether you can hear the difference in sound quality? Most pple already can't hear the diff between MP3 and hi-res music. Then normal player and high end player even lesser people can hear the diff. When come to power cord and cables, lagi even less.

So even if scientifically can prove that there is improvement in quality, end of day is can one hear the diff? We should only pay more for what we can honestly discern the diff for plus what keeps us happy

dqwong

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The qn is whether you can hear the difference in sound quality? Most pple already can't hear the diff between MP3 and hi-res music. Then normal player and high end player even lesser people can hear the diff. When come to power cord and cables, lagi even less.

So even if scientifically can prove that there is improvement in quality, end of day is can one hear the diff? We should only pay more for what we can honestly discern the diff for plus what keeps us happy

That depends on your equipment's performance.

It is pretty easy for anyone to test the difference.

If you have a decent high power home theatre amplifier or subwoofer, try comparing sound difference on loud scenes(explosions) on the below two setups:

Setup A: isolate your home theatre amp or subwoofer to its own mains plug
Setup B: set your amplifier and subwoofer to share the same mains power with your other devices using an extension cord/multi plug.

I would say the power cord upgrade is of concern only after you have already upgraded to the higher tier components in your chain. Upgrading your dac or headphone/speakers will yield more improvements

Last edited:

Jeremy1

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Of course everything matter when you are playing high end.

Not talking about the Power Cords and Cables alone, people also use to have their own power point solely for their audio system.

The question is does it warrant one to buy expensive cables costing more than your audio system or 50% of your audio system................:D

stanley_home

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
for me, i feel its about synergy also to actually have a improvement in cable upgrades.

the only nonsense to me is the outrageous pricing they set.

xuan87

Reaction score

Agreed with the above totally. Even without much science knowledge, silver and copper are two different metals and so of course will conduct electricity differently, BUT can you really hear that kind of minute differences?

To truly know, you need to eliminate all confirmation bias and do your own blind testing.

Personally, I've thought of getting new cables for my future iems but that's not in the hope of getting better sound quality, but for other factors such as less microphonics, better flexibility, lightness etc.

End of the day, do what make you most happy. If you find it worthwhile to spend a $1000 on cables which will improve your system, by all means. Others who don't want to do so can spend their money how they like.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.