Acoustic Werkes CIEM

deaththeorist

Master Member
Reaction score
Reading through the pages I am getting the impression that there might be some misunderstanding on how HYBRID/DYNAMIC CIEMs seal.

On Hyrbid CIEMs the bass driver is usually constructed with dynamic transducers. Dynamic transducer works best in a way when the air pressure is balanced inside/outside the CIEM shell. That's when a bassport comes into play. There are commonly 4 ways of adding a bassport.
1. Lazy route, drill a tiny hole and leave as it is.
2. Slightly more diligent way, cover the hole with fabric or lightly densed material.
3. Install acoustic damper, so higher pitched noised in more attenuated, also prevents dust from entering shell.
4. Install variable mechanism to control venting size, so you can play with the sound.

A fully vented shell and a fully closed shell may lead to up to 10db difference in the very low frequencies on the dynamic drivers. So usually a bassport is essential unless you are deliberately cutting down the bass. A vented CIEM will NEVER isolates as good as a fully closed CIEM since ambient noises will enter the shell through the vent.

AAW/ROOTH/UM should have employed the No.3 method on their hyrbids. So high pitch ambient is more muffled. However, vocal range, mrt noises, bus noises, most of them are low pitch sound. They should be reduced to a degree but it will NEVER be as good as how a fully closed CIEM isolates. ROOTH/UM bassport is on the faceplate and AAW put them on the top near the cable socket. Do not poke them open nor block them, you might end up unwanted change in the bass.

Above mentioned seal problems, some down right warrants a refit, some may just be the port playing the trick. Each should consult according to their own situations. Generally I would think you can achieve channel balance easily, you are good to go.

I hope the above helps:D
Well since you're here I've noticed something curious about this whole bassport issue. Why do you reckon some aaw demo models have a bassport and some don't. If memory served me right the positioning of these were also not consistent on the shells. From what u say it appears that it's essential and indeed crucial to have a well made and maintained bass port, especially for iems with dynamic drivers inside them.

Mach3.2

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Well since you're here I've noticed something curious about this whole bassport issue. Why do you reckon some aaw demo models have a bassport and some don't. If memory served me right the positioning of these were also not consistent on the shells. From what u say it appears that it's essential and indeed crucial to have a well made and maintained bass port, especially for iems with dynamic drivers inside them.
I don't think the positioning of the bass port is crucial(as in it still have to be behind the driver cone), it's the diameter of the port that is more important. :)

deaththeorist

Master Member
Reaction score
I don't think the positioning of the bass port is crucial(as in it still have to be behind the driver cone), it's the diameter of the port that is more important. :)

But the (non)existence is surely odd isn't it?

I remember asking the sales associate why, but she couldn't give a satisfactory reply

whatme

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Reading through the pages I am getting the impression that there might be some misunderstanding on how HYBRID/DYNAMIC CIEMs seal.

On Hyrbid CIEMs the bass driver is usually constructed with dynamic transducers. Dynamic transducer works best in a way when the air pressure is balanced inside/outside the CIEM shell. That's when a bassport comes into play. There are commonly 4 ways of adding a bassport.
1. Lazy route, drill a tiny hole and leave as it is.
2. Slightly more diligent way, cover the hole with fabric or lightly densed material.
3. Install acoustic damper, so higher pitched noised in more attenuated, also prevents dust from entering shell.
4. Install variable mechanism to control venting size, so you can play with the sound.

A fully vented shell and a fully closed shell may lead to up to 10db difference in the very low frequencies on the dynamic drivers. So usually a bassport is essential unless you are deliberately cutting down the bass. A vented CIEM will NEVER isolates as good as a fully closed CIEM since ambient noises will enter the shell through the vent.

AAW/ROOTH/UM should have employed the No.3 method on their hyrbids. So high pitch ambient is more muffled. However, vocal range, mrt noises, bus noises, most of them are low pitch sound. They should be reduced to a degree but it will NEVER be as good as how a fully closed CIEM isolates. ROOTH/UM bassport is on the faceplate and AAW put them on the top near the cable socket. Do not poke them open nor block them, you might end up unwanted change in the bass.

Above mentioned seal problems, some down right warrants a refit, some may just be the port playing the trick. Each should consult according to their own situations. Generally I would think you can achieve channel balance easily, you are good to go.

I hope the above helps:D

Wow, thanks for the heads up!

Very useful information to anyone who are confused too :)

Mach3.2

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
But the (non)existence is surely odd isn't it?

I remember asking the sales associate why, but she couldn't give a satisfactory reply
Yeah, definitely odd.

Not having a bass port for DD IEMs can greatly affect the sound.

widget

Reaction score
It's been 6 weeks (2 September) since I did my ear impression at Null Audio for A2H-V.
Still no news on my ciem :s7:

kennull

Reaction score

IIRC only the W100 doesn't have a bassport, as I mentioned it maybe removed deliberately to cut down the bass. I think for a single DD CIEM it is easy for the bass to overpower the treble. Word is W100 being retuned and it should come with a very high resistance valued damper inside its bass port.

With handcraft CIEM, demo or not, the bass port position will definitely not be consistent. With different driver configuration, ear shape, 2pin socket or MMCX, the position will scatter a bit but it will be on the top where it is not blocked by your ears.

It's been 6 weeks (2 September) since I did my ear impression at Null Audio for A2H-V.
Still no news on my ciem :s7:

You will have better luck asking direct. If I answer your question here, I guess I would be removed from this board instantly. So I'd rather only share technical stuff here with you guys.

Last edited:

deaththeorist

Master Member
Reaction score
IIRC only the W100 doesn't have a bassport, as I mentioned it maybe removed deliberately to cut down the bass. I think for a single DD CIEM it is easy for the bass to overpower the treble. Word is W100 being retuned and it should come with a very high resistance valued damper inside its bass port.

With handcraft CIEM, demo or not, the bass port position will definitely not be consistent. With different driver configuration, ear shape, 2pin socket or MMCX, the position will scatter a bit but it will be on the top where it is not blocked by your ears.
Ooo i see! That's interesting to know! =D

widget

Reaction score

You will have better luck asking direct. If I answer your question here, I guess I would be removed from this board instantly. So I'd rather only share technical stuff here with you guys.

I dropped you a PM...
Appreciate if you can check on my order status.

Thanks

kahlrahl

Reaction score
Do you mind sharing what is a bass port to me? i google it, don't quite understand... i dont know mine removed already or not sia.. How does it look when you request your ciem to be more "flush"?

I think you can discuss with Steven about your issues, I think he can assist u. Today he just msg me on how is my refit. Nice guy indeed :s22:

A flush ciem would exactly fill up the whole ear while maintaining a fully flat faceplate. One way to tell would be to feel the corners of the ears that is covered by the ciem, a flush ciem would feel as if the ciem is "level" with the corners of your ears, if that makes any sense. A non-flush ciem would protrude beyond your ears or sit too deep in your ears, and they are often quite obvious.

For example, my ciem is currently sitting too deep in my ears, the AAW side logo is partially blocked when I'm wearing it. I feel that more acrylic could fill up that space and possibly provide better isolation. In short, I'll ask for lesser trimming of the impression for my 2nd refit.

Last edited:

deaththeorist

Master Member
Reaction score
A flush ciem would exactly fill up the whole ear while maintaining a fully flat faceplate. One way to tell would be to feel the corners of the ears that is covered by the ciem, a flush ciem would feel as if the ciem is "level" with the corners of your ears, if that makes any sense. A non-flush ciem would protrude beyond your ears or sit too deep in your ears, and they are often quite obvious.

For example, my ciem is currently sitting too deep in my ears, the AAW side logo is partially blocked when I'm wearing it. I feel that more acrylic could fill up that space and possibly provide better isolation. In short, I'll ask for lesser trimming of the impression for my 2nd refit.
In other words, one can use when lying down, one cannot XD

whatme

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the explanation man.

Out of courtesy, Steven offered me to redo my ciem even though i thought that the 2nd refit would be okay for me.

Indeed a good service by him, hopefully the waiting time of 6-8 weeks won't kill me again...

To be honest, i have not use my ciem more than 2 days before sending in for refit that point of time. Makes me really feel kinda sad, didnt event spend any quality time with it.. :':)'(

Last edited:

ArtURtlE

Reaction score
To which 1964 Ears model? I think the A3H-V was pretty gopd for the price, but I prefer the A3H more due to my sound preferences.
the 1964 quads...i listen to alot of hiphop and rock, i presume A3h-v has more bass?

Aegis_Yeo

Reaction score
the 1964 quads...i listen to alot of hiphop and rock, i presume A3h-v has more bass?

If you want bass,the best comparison would me A3H vs Qi. If you can push your busget up to their respective flagships, the W500 and V8, I can assure you the bass satisfaction level will be worth it.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.