HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Annoying sounds when I plug in my earphones to my computer audio jack.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-07-2009, 10:51 AM   #1

Annoying sounds when I plug in my earphones to my computer audio jack.

Theres a lot of continuous 'noise' on the background when i plug in my earphones to my computer audio jack.

Is this due to my motherboard or wiring? Anything I can do to reduce this problem? Very annoying leh.. the "keeeeeeshh shhshhh shh keeeeeeee" sounds..

Pls help an audio noob
lifesgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2009, 11:04 AM   #2

Are you using your onboard sound card? There may not be much that you can do.

Perhaps you can try getting a new sound card or DAC. Are you using a laptop or a desktop?
Brandon Yuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2009, 12:28 PM   #3

Are you using your onboard sound card? There may not be much that you can do.

Perhaps you can try getting a new sound card or DAC. Are you using a laptop or a desktop?
yup onboard soundcard on a dfi x38 motherboard. desktop

getting a soundcard will reduce these "noise" ? will a cheap <$100 one suffice?
Old 13-07-2009, 02:15 PM   #4

getting a soundcard will reduce these "noise" ? will a cheap <$100 one suffice?
Possibly, but I can't guarantee. I had this kind of hissing noise too on my Dell laptop. I bought a Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Notebook, and I got much cleaner sound from that.

For $29, you can give the Soundblaster Play! a try.

Old 13-07-2009, 05:37 PM   #5

thanks for the suggestion bro.

but lets say if that still doesn't solve the problem, should i add in a DAC as well?
Old 13-07-2009, 10:18 PM   #6

Use the audio jack on the mobo instead of on the casing.
ivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2009, 10:30 PM   #7

I don't know... if the sound card doesn't work, you could try a DAC, but if your ground plane is noisy, then you may need to isolate the PC from the headphones, electrically.

You can get an external standalone DAC that accepts optical input (and also get a sound card with an optical output, if your onboard card doesn't have optical output). But that could be expensive. You may be able to get a new motherboard for less.

Sounds troublesome huh? Hope the sound card works.
Old 14-07-2009, 04:52 PM   #8

Use the audio jack on the mobo instead of on the casing.
The audiojack on the mobo is used for my AegoM
Using the front jack for headphones/earphones so my games do not wake my wife up and result in some painful ear twisting joking ah

I don't know... if the sound card doesn't work, you could try a DAC, but if your ground plane is noisy, then you may need to isolate the PC from the headphones, electrically.

You can get an external standalone DAC that accepts optical input (and also get a sound card with an optical output, if your onboard card doesn't have optical output). But that could be expensive. You may be able to get a new motherboard for less.

Sounds troublesome huh? Hope the sound card works.
i do hope so. many thanks for the advice

once i have my soundcard installed, will i able to use both audiojacks of the soundcard AND the mobo? im guessing no? if no, is there a soundcard with 2 audiojacks? so i can have my speakers and headphone plugged in at the same time.
Old 15-07-2009, 12:15 AM   #9

Ahh... didn't know you already had speakers hooked up at the back.

Does your motherboard have outputs for rear speakers too? If so, can you configure the system to output the same thing to the front and rear channels? If that works, then perhaps you can plug your earphones into the rear speaker output instead.

I don't think you can have sound coming from both the add-on soundcard and the onboard soundcard, but I haven't really tried that myself.
Old 15-07-2009, 11:00 PM   #10

Ahh... didn't know you already had speakers hooked up at the back.

Does your motherboard have outputs for rear speakers too? If so, can you configure the system to output the same thing to the front and rear channels? If that works, then perhaps you can plug your earphones into the rear speaker output instead.

I don't think you can have sound coming from both the add-on soundcard and the onboard soundcard, but I haven't really tried that myself.
bro any DACs below $200 to recommend? do you have a website for me to browse them thru?

i've done a bit of readup and seems like most reviewers are saying that DACs are preferred over soundcards. but a soundcard can be plugged into at the back and to the front panel right? unlike a DAC?

also, how to install a DAC, issit just plug the DAC into the onboard sound jack so it filters the audio output?
Old 16-07-2009, 03:12 AM   #11
High Supremacy Member

bro any DACs below $200 to recommend? do you have a website for me to browse them thru?

i've done a bit of readup and seems like most reviewers are saying that DACs are preferred over soundcards. but a soundcard can be plugged into at the back and to the front panel right? unlike a DAC?

also, how to install a DAC, issit just plug the DAC into the onboard sound jack so it filters the audio output?
u can refer here for more information

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/

and how to connect will depends on the dac itself...and what input it have
anyhowsaysay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2009, 03:13 AM   #12
High Supremacy Member

The audiojack on the mobo is used for my AegoM
Using the front jack for headphones/earphones so my games do not wake my wife up and result in some painful ear twisting joking ah
check whether there is hissing sound on the back plug for ur headphone

if there is not then u can buy a 3.5mm plug splitter

and split the single plug into two plug just enough for both ur speaker and headphone
anyhowsaysay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2009, 09:17 AM   #13

u can refer here for more information

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/

and how to connect will depends on the dac itself...and what input it have
thanks bro appreciate it
Old 16-07-2009, 10:10 AM   #14

how to install a DAC, issit just plug the DAC into the onboard sound jack so it filters the audio output?
Hi man. A DAC is a "Digital-to-Analog Converter". Soundcards have DACs onboard too, to convert the digital info to analog signals that you can pump to your amplifier and speakers.

When people speak of "DACs", they're usually referring to something without all the additional digital signal processing features of a soundcard. So you don't get to add effects and stuff, and you probably won't get 3D positional audio for games. What you get is just a DAC that's usually of higher quality than the ones found on-board most consumer soundcards.

Most of the entry-level DACs I've seen have only one output though, so you may need to use the 3.5mm splitter like anyhowsaysay mentioned. External soundcards often have line out (for your Aego M) and headphone outputs, plus onboard mixers.

I'm using the GoVibe USB DAC which I bought 2nd hand for $40, and I'm very happy with the sound. For external soundcards, you can consider the Soundblaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 for less than $100, or the E-MU 0202, which you can get off eBay, but you'll need to find a way to ship it to Singapore cheap. Lots of other options, I'm sure. I'll leave it to the rest to recommend.
Old 16-07-2009, 02:28 PM   #15

Hi man. A DAC is a "Digital-to-Analog Converter". Soundcards have DACs onboard too, to convert the digital info to analog signals that you can pump to your amplifier and speakers.

When people speak of "DACs", they're usually referring to something without all the additional digital signal processing features of a soundcard. So you don't get to add effects and stuff, and you probably won't get 3D positional audio for games. What you get is just a DAC that's usually of higher quality than the ones found on-board most consumer soundcards.

Most of the entry-level DACs I've seen have only one output though, so you may need to use the 3.5mm splitter like anyhowsaysay mentioned. External soundcards often have line out (for your Aego M) and headphone outputs, plus onboard mixers.

I'm using the GoVibe USB DAC which I bought 2nd hand for $40, and I'm very happy with the sound. For external soundcards, you can consider the Soundblaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 for less than $100, or the E-MU 0202, which you can get off eBay, but you'll need to find a way to ship it to Singapore cheap. Lots of other options, I'm sure. I'll leave it to the rest to recommend.
heh thanks brandon appreciate your suggestions bro.

i've just purchased a creative x-fi xtreme audio pci for $74 went to the popular shops like fuwell, pct, bell systems, even best price.. all sold out and they usually charge $85 (no surprise choppermind charge $96 ). end up pass by Vist and went in to realise its the cheapest and has available stock (well the only audio card they are selling i think).

also sent my headphone into Jaben for repairs, the connector loose i think. when i back my headphones back i might start looking at 2nd hand Govibe or ZeroDac. saw a zerodac at Jaben.. huge and heavy
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.