ATH-M50X and NAD VISO HP50: Worth The Upgrade?

jCrossley

Reaction score
I own a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50 and PSB M4U 1 that I bought from Stereo Plaza Singapore last year. Basically I'm satisfied with these two headphones but I'm reallllllyyyy tempted to upgrade to ATH-M50X and NAD VISO HP50 after reading rave reviews abou them, so here's some questions I'd like to ask...

1. Is there a lot of difference between ATH-M50 and ATH-M50X sound quality wise? Does it justify upgrading from the old model to the new one?

2. Since Paul Barton of PSB designed both the PSB M4U 1 and the NAD VISO HP50, how does the two compare in terms of sound quality? And judging from the pictures, the NAD VISO HP50 seems to be quite smaller than PSB M4U 1. Is it less comfortable to wear than the PSB M4U 1 for extended listening?

Now if only Stereo have a trade-in/upgrade program between the old models and the new ones, I'd jump right in and upgrade my rigs... :s13:

BlackOpal

Reaction score
I own a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50 and PSB M4U 1 that I bought from Stereo Plaza Singapore last year. Basically I'm satisfied with these two headphones but I'm reallllllyyyy tempted to upgrade to ATH-M50X and NAD VISO HP50 after reading rave reviews abou them, so here's some questions I'd like to ask...

1. Is there a lot of difference between ATH-M50 and ATH-M50X sound quality wise? Does it justify upgrading from the old model to the new one?

2. Since Paul Barton of PSB designed both the PSB M4U 1 and the NAD VISO HP50, how does the two compare in terms of sound quality? And judging from the pictures, the NAD VISO HP50 seems to be quite smaller than PSB M4U 1. Is it less comfortable to wear than the PSB M4U 1 for extended listening?

Now if only Stereo have a trade-in/upgrade program between the old models and the new ones, I'd jump right in and upgrade my rigs... :s13:

for me, m50 and m50x not much diff unless u itchy backside and prefer with detachable cable:s13:
didn't try the the psb and nad models so no comments. and yes it would be good if stereo can have some sort of upgrade/trade-in program cos i thinking to change my v-moda m100 to the new xs model..my backside feeling abit itchy=:p

delrosa81

Reaction score

I compared both the PSB and NAD, honestly it is very close between the 2 and I chose the NAD HP50. I just feel it has just that little bit more clarity and abit more bass. But its a very close fight.

focus1974

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
From what I understand, ATH-M50 and ATH-M50x is basically the same thing except for the COILED CABLE and more comfortable earpads

You can check out the amazon reviews here on difference between them. ATH-M50 vs ATH-M50x

I liked this one.. the brown very chio..
81qPEDU1gYL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.