iFi Audio Appreciation Thread

Alpha0

Master Member
Reaction score
It maybe your MacBook pro supplying not enough power to the iusb power. I have this problem previously, it depends on each machine's usb port, seems like not all machine usb is supplying stable or required usb power, a little off in the current will cause this problem and things get complicated after using the igemini splitter. I solve it by either not using the iusb or you can use a powered usb hub between your MacBook usb port and the iusbpower.

Try it out and see if I am correct.
Hi bro.

The iusbpower has a power adapter connected to it. Power issue is not a problem i think ? If it is the issue , then wouldn't the power adapter defeat its purpose ?
The mercury cable is just transmitting signal from mbp to iusbpower ?
Erm do correct me if i am wrong?

toshiro_sg

Reaction score
Hi bro.

The iusbpower has a power adapter connected to it. Power issue is not a problem i think ? If it is the issue , then wouldn't the power adapter defeat its purpose ?
The mercury cable is just transmitting signal from mbp to iusbpower ?
Erm do correct me if i am wrong?

I also try all possible method when I just could not make the idsd micro work with the iusb power until I used a usb power meter to see whether my PC usb power got any problem. I measure with iusb power and igemini cable and another test with the blue cable direct from PC usb to idsd micro and both current draw is different hence I suspect is my pc usb problem and also complication arise because of using the iusb power and igemini split cable, all this came out before idsd micro came out so u can see after idsd micro came out you have to use an adapter. Theres simply too many items between your MacBook usb and the idsd micro don't you think. All this may starve off your MacBook USB current. SO I finally solve it by using a power USB hub, anyway it still have to go through the iusb power so won't degrade the sound just becoz you introduced a powered usb hub.

Alternatively you can try your setup on another PC and see if still same issue. I first suspect its my idsd micro problem or iusb power problem and bring whole setup to Stereo to try out with their MacBook pro and no problem playing at all but come home same problem again. So I definitely sure its my PC USB not supllying enough current after going through so many items before reaching the idsd micro.

Alpha0

Master Member
Reaction score
Yup. I am using that. It came along with the accessories of idsd micro.

Another observation:

The entire iusbpower with gemini seems to have bad grounding.
The gemini, mercury and my macbook also can feel the electrostatic. When i tilt the cable slightly upward/downward, the static is gone.

My main is clean. No such problem on my laptop when connected to main.

Now using blue cable to iusbpower. Then mercury to adapter to idsd micro.
No static. Music able to play.

Any opinions, Stereo ?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Gaminator

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to let the good peeps at Stereo that I've resolved my DSD playback issue liao. Turns out I had noobishly made some wrong setting....:o

TeamStereo

Suspended
Reaction score
Another observation:

The entire iusbpower with gemini seems to have bad grounding.
The gemini, mercury and my macbook also can feel the electrostatic. When i tilt the cable slightly upward/downward, the static is gone.

My main is clean. No such problem on my laptop when connected to main.

Now using blue cable to iusbpower. Then mercury to adapter to idsd micro.
No static. Music able to play.

Any opinions, Stereo ?

Thanks.

Hi bro! We've sent you a PM. :)

Yureak

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all does the irack come with rca cables? On the ifi website it says so

TeamStereo

Suspended
Reaction score
Prestigious ACA says Micro iDSD is a legend in Greece!

Prestigious ACA says micro iDSD is a legend in Greece!

The Audiophile Club of Athens (ACA) is one of the oldest and most famous audiophile clubs in the world. There are plenty of youtube videos of their amazing turntables which leave one aghast.

Well, they held a listening session with the nano iDSD, the micro iDSD and wait for it, the Viva Egosita, a Euro10k headphone amplifier. Esteemed company indeed. Listening was done mainly with the full Audeze range of headphones and the Sennheiser Momentums.

“Kudo’s to the micro and God bless the micro for those who are not as crazy as I am and want the ultimate in their everyday life and sound, but I am saving up for the micro.
We only live once, I won’t need to go through another lifetime searching for the absolute in the headphone usb dac territory.”

Thank you Dr Tony Pothitos we are very honoured that the ACA raved about the nano and the micro in the company of the Viva Egoista! Yes Amadeo does built some amazing tube amplifiers.

Read more via this website link

ACA_zps3475a989.jpg

TeamStereo

Suspended
Reaction score
Effusion of Head-Fi highlights from CanJam at RMAF 2014, iFi Retro!

Effusion of Head-Fi highlights from Day 1: iFi Retro!​

“A multi-purpose, multi-function tube headphone/speaker amplifier that sounded very sweet, but at the same time detailed and full. Very nice sound coming from my portable DAP, connected by bluetooth and through my HD650s, DAP/Cable shown in the first picture above, which it drove better than 90% of what I’ve heard the HD650s through; very impressive….All in all, great sound coming out of this amp and in what some would argue as a more fashionable and timeless way with its old-school design/looks.

900x900px-LL-e243b2f1_IMG_3122_zps9c02a50b.jpeg

350x700px-LL-2061b115_IMG_3120_zps8324d737.jpeg

In addition their component stack, which is a plug-n-play component type design/model, that is very cool and sounds very good.​

Thanks Effusion!
Image 5 of 216 in forum thread

TeamStereo

Suspended
Reaction score
Headphone Guru finds iUSB/iPurifier makes digital more analogue and are a keeper!

Headphone Guru finds iFi Audio iUSB/iPurifier makes digital more analogue and are a keeper!​

Lee Scoggins of Headphone Guru penned the following very nice review of the iUSB Power and the iPurifier. Lee wrote, “It makes sense if you think about it. Cleaning up USB level power has the same effect as a dedicated power line and a good line conditioner. All three provide the best possible foundation. As you lower the background noise, you hear more across the board – bass, midrange, and high frequency. The iFi “iUSB” Power Conditioner is well built, has a beautiful sparkly finish, and comes packaged like a well-designed Apple product. Pretty amazing for the under $300 price point. I’m impressed and will be keeping these in the system for better digital.”

Thank you Lee and we hope you enjoy the pair for many years to come!
iFi “iUSB” Conditioner | Headphone.Guru

TeamStereo

Suspended
Reaction score
Sound&Vision rates nano iDSD very, very highly!​

With thanks to Pixel (iFi Hungary) and Sound & Vision, the following are some of the key points of their review.

“A variety of different quality, especially Mp3 signals tested nano. Startling differences were experienced. Playing audio files from your computer’s USB port the nano’s resolving ability shows how much it can improve the music signal. Even with Mp3 it cut the jitter error down drastically. Well the nano’s simply named ZeroJitter Lite technology is apt.

I just congratulate this little unit. There is a built-in 1400 mAh battery hidden under the casing, which is intended to be provided with the mobile tasks. The battery lasts some 10 hours which is plenty.

Overall, the Nano really knows what it is doing and delivers on its promise and is the perfect musical experience.”

kitt6500x_zps17a9e6ea.jpg

ifi-nano-dsd-dac-binnenkant-boven-2_thumb_zpsbf0017fb.jpg

Thank you Sound & Vision!
Ifi nano iDSD különleges HIGH-END kiegészít? - Sztereó Magazin

TeamStereo

Suspended
Reaction score
Another “Greatest Bits” for iFi with the micro iDSD!

Another “Greatest Bits” for iFi with the micro iDSD!

With thanks to Audiostream’s Michael Lavorgna, the micro iDSD was put through its paces – albeit mainly via speakers as headphones is not the arena of AS.

Nevertheless, Michael remarked, “I’m happy to report that the Micro iDSD DAC retains the iFi house sound which is overtly musical to my ears. Compared to the recently reviewed and more expensive Pathos Converto (see review), the iFi is more incisive and more concerned with micro detail and edge. That said, there’s nothing abrasive or unnaturally bright about its presentation.

Something like the recent download of the week Our Love from Caribou was very nicely laid out with a sure grip on the beat and bottom end. Acoustic music including Giacinto Scelsi’s Suono Rotondo showed off the Micro’s way with tone and complex harmonics…..The Micro delivers a lot of timbral bang for the buck. I did not feel as if I was missing out on anything while listening in enjoyment mode as compared to comparison mode.”

1483437_769327706436307_4352266306194520912_n_zps374dbb88.jpg

Thank Michael Lavorgna and AudioStream!
iFi Micro iDSD | AudioStream

TeamStereo

Suspended
Reaction score
5 Star Nano iDSD Wins MacWorld Editor’s Choice!​
macworld_zpsa005696d.gif

Mr Andrew Harrison, Editor at MacWorld awarded 5 stars and Editor’s Choice Award to the nano iDSD, “If you want to improve the headphone sound of your Mac or iPhone, the iFi nano iDSD could be the best option under £1000.” And concluded that “The iFi nano iDSD serves as a great upgrade to the headphone sound of MacBooks, iPhones and iPads.
macworld_zps39743c1f.png

It’s superbly made and brings a major upgrade to CD-level sound, as well as open up the many possibilities for real high-resolution music that are now available from computers and mobile devices.”

Thank you Mr Harrison, very much. We hope more Mac users try the nano iDSD and unleash the full potential of their Mac audio.
iFi nano iDSD amp review - Review - Macworld UK

TeamStereo

Suspended
Reaction score
HiFi Guy 528 Unboxing Video

Gotta watch this very enthusiastic unboxing video for the micro iDSD.

In it, Mike, aka HiFi Guy 528 covers all the external features very well.

So if you are unsure of all the switches, sockets in/around the Micro iDSD, please watch this and enjoy!

TeamStereo

Suspended
Reaction score
Wow! Bravo iFi! Says Mike Mercer about the iDSD micro!​

To quote Mike:

“WOW! I’ve been a fan of iFi products goin’ back to my iCAN, iPhono, and my trusted iUSB PowerPlant – but when I got to hear the Micro iDSD at Canjam w/ my buddy Alex (Rosson – from Audeze) w/ my LCD-XCs I was simply blown-away!! So, because its become so popular, it took a bit to get a unit for review (which I’m definitely keeping) – but, the wait was WORTH IT!! This was the PERFECT couch system for drowning out all the political arguing goin’ on during our Thanksgiving w/ my in-laws!!

AND – since I was initially blown-away using my LCD-XCs w/ the Micro – I HAD TO DO IT:
900x900px-LL-466ac816_IMG_4463_zpsdf4fa3a2.jpeg

This was really somethin’ special!!
Especially w/ my new Double Helix Cables Comp4 SE for my Audezes
and also using the DHC USB cable..
This system led me into an all-night listening sesh!!!!

BRAVO iFi!!
BRAVO!!!!”

Wow – Thanks Mike!

iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments. - Page 116

TeamStereo

Suspended
Reaction score
Push it to the limit…Race to the Top: iDSD Micro!​

“Often in this hobby you get what you pay for. However, there are clearly some products that offer up exceptional value for the dollar….Overall it’s a compact system with good versatility in terms of use in the main rig or as a desk/portable system….This device sounded pretty darn good right out of the box….How would this product do against more expensive gear? I had a friend bring over a well-regarded $2,000 DAC for a comparison. It was close at first but we began to notice subtle but important improvements from the Micro over the more expensive unit…The Micro is a perfect example of a device that is narrowing the gap between budget and reference performance in the “Race to the Top.””

What Lee thought of these albums with the iDSD micro and his current DAC:
“Adele, Rolling in the Deep (16/44) off of her second album, 21. This impressed me. My current DAC does not have the rhythm and pace that the Micro exhibits on this song.”

“Alison Krauss & Union Station, Lie Awake (24/96). This is a test track for me on bass reproduction.The opening chords are hard to get right on some gear. On the best gear, the bass has a good foundation that creates a nice balance to Alison’s angelic voice.”

“Ernest Ansermet with Royal Opera House Orchestra, The Royal Ballet Gals Performances (16/44). The Micro allowed all of the high frequency extension to shine through and there are oodles of detail in this recording captured. Dynamic, layered, detailed, musical, flowing. The Micro captured all of the elements of strong classical playback. Color me impressed.”

Thanks Lee Scoggins and Headphone Guru!
Push it to the limit…Race to the Top: iDSD Micro!

jack ryan09

Reaction score
Hi! Need some help guys.

i received the micro idsd as a xmas gift from my wife and im planning to use my iphone6 as a source. Which cable do i need? Is it the camera connection kit or the lightin to usb camera? I visiited the Nubox store in Westgate but they wont open the box for me as it is sealed and for me to make a confirmation. Better if someone can post a pic of the cable or the box.
Thanks in advance and happy new year✌️

Yureak

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi! Need some help guys.

i received the micro idsd as a xmas gift from my wife and im planning to use my iphone6 as a source. Which cable do i need? Is it the camera connection kit or the lightin to usb camera? I visiited the Nubox store in Westgate but they wont open the box for me as it is sealed and for me to make a confirmation. Better if someone can post a pic of the cable or the box.
Thanks in advance and happy new year✌️

Lightning camera connection kit only 1 type

Gaminator

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm about to get a Schiit Lyr + PYST interconnect cables and would like to know if the iFi Nano iDSD work nicely with it. I assume the interconnect cable can be used with the Nano iDSD, will the Nano iDSD act as a preamp as well? Sorry for the newb questions, want to up my audio setup...also, I'd like to know which output method to the Lyr two would be best, the coax or analog outputs at the front.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.