HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Etymotic Research ER4

Like Tree3Likes
Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-03-2012, 09:03 PM   #46

Ssme thing. Apparently cheaper but worse customer service and shady product quality. Waiting time can be quite long also. There's also G-Custom which is done by Audiohub.
As far as I know Rooth is related to UM and share facilities and equipment IIRC.

Rooth LS8 Custom IEM Review: Crystal Clear Power & Dynamics

has only good things to say about the build quality and service, for one. Do you have sources to back you up before you go around calling other companies out for "shady build and poor customer service"?
uriel3ca3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 09:21 PM   #47

I am making a ER4s customs after getting my DX100, budget restriction now. =(

ER4s has unmatched detail even compared to my UM3x. XD

DAP: iBasso DX100, Cowon J3, Sansa Clip Zip
Amps: Pico Slim, RSA Mustang P51
Earphones: UM3x, UE SF5 pro, ER4p, ER4s (custom)
Headphones: Sony Z1000, Grado SR325i
Hitsugaya87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 10:47 PM   #48

What your opinion on ER4P compared to ER4S?
meetaimak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 10:52 PM   #49
Arch-Supremacy Member

Other iems to consider if details is your poison:

TDK BA200 @ ~$220
Fischer Audio DBA02 MK2 @ ~$400
Sony MDR-EX1000 @ ~$700
and Audio Technicas as well (as per recommended by Haonan)
dqwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 11:19 PM   #50

TDK BA200 @ ~$220
Sony MDR-EX1000 @ ~$700
a little off-topic, dqwong how does the TDK BA200 compare to the DBA MK2?
Thinking very hard about the TDK....hand quite itchy
chikyblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 12:06 AM   #51
Arch-Supremacy Member

a little off-topic, dqwong how does the TDK BA200 compare to the DBA MK2?
Thinking very hard about the TDK....hand quite itchy
DBA02 MK2 has a seriously bright treble. on a scale of 10, I will rate it as 9.5.
While BA200 has a bright treble, it doesn't go way too bright, on a scale on 10, I will rate it as 8. So it's more forgiving for most people's ears. The TDK BA200 also has a very wide soundstage.

TDK BA200
Strengths:
Clarity, vocals are super clear on these
Close to neutral presentation, pretty balanced with not much hotspots in frequency range
Wide Soundstage
Relatively Affordable

Weakness:
Lacks warmth in mids, which may sound thin
Mid bass could be better
Cable Tangles
Old 29-03-2012, 11:03 PM   #52
Master Member

As far as I know Rooth is related to UM and share facilities and equipment IIRC.

Rooth LS8 Custom IEM Review: Crystal Clear Power & Dynamics

has only good things to say about the build quality and service, for one. Do you have sources to back you up before you go around calling other companies out for "shady build and poor customer service"?
Look through forum posts made by other users who have gone through a lot of trouble dealing with Null and Rooth. Or you want me to google it for you?

https://www.google.com.sg/search?sou...io+bad+service
Old 29-03-2012, 11:13 PM   #53

Look through forum posts made by other users who have gone through a lot of trouble dealing with Null and Rooth. Or you want me to google it for you?

https://www.google.com.sg/search?sou...io+bad+service
Now, now, no need to go all defensive. I was just asking if you could provide some sources as we are talking about the credibility of a company here. There could be others who were wondering about picking up Rooth products, and at least from the reviews I read their products are legit.

I see many complaints about Null, but is the problem with Rooth themselves or is the problem with Null audio?
uriel3ca3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 11:53 PM   #54
Master Member

I wasn't being defensive.

No idea what the root cause of all the problems is, but I know if you contact Kevin(?) from Null Audio he can send it to UM for reshelling as well.
Old 30-03-2012, 12:18 AM   #55

What your opinion on ER4P compared to ER4S?
I do own a ER4p which I'm planning to either buy an adapter for converting to the ER4s or do a set of ER4s customs by UM. The ER4s, shines a lot better producing bass with a clean hit without being bloated.

I have to disagree that people claim the ER4 series to be without bass. The ER4p do provide a clean hitting bass without much decay (good or bad, your call). They do not sound congested as well with the bass being all mashed together.

The ER4s, on the the other hand tame the bass down (again, good or bad) while improving vastly on minor details. Given the choice, I will always stick to getting the ER4p first and getting the 75ohms adapter if needed.

I personally find the details unmatchable even comparing to the likes of the UM3x—not to say that I dislike my UM3x but the ER4p provides a much cleaner sound and very smooth mids presentation.

TDK BA200 @ ~$220
Sony MDR-EX1000 @ ~$700
Which Audio Technica model? Pretty interested in the DBA02 MK2—a friend told me that the previous DBA02 was much better but I don't have the chance to try it out.

Old 30-03-2012, 01:04 AM   #56
Arch-Supremacy Member

I do own a ER4p which I'm planning to either buy an adapter for converting to the ER4s or do a set of ER4s customs by UM. The ER4s, shines a lot better producing bass with a clean hit without being bloated.

I have to disagree that people claim the ER4 series to be without bass. The ER4p do provide a clean hitting bass without much decay (good or bad, your call). They do not sound congested as well with the bass being all mashed together.

The ER4s, on the the other hand tame the bass down (again, good or bad) while improving vastly on minor details. Given the choice, I will always stick to getting the ER4p first and getting the 75ohms adapter if needed.

I personally find the details unmatchable even comparing to the likes of the UM3x—not to say that I dislike my UM3x but the ER4p provides a much cleaner sound and very smooth mids presentation.

Which Audio Technica model? Pretty interested in the DBA02 MK2—a friend told me that the previous DBA02 was much better but I don't have the chance to try it out.
The ER4P has bass, but you only get to hear them indoors and not so much when outdoors. ClieOS did mention that the C421 AD8620 does sound magical with ER4S. I guess I know why now after listening to the AD8620. It seems to add depth to the soundstage which will sound magical on this kind of iem.

The C421 I currently have is the AD8620 version, but I have also secured (though yet to receive) an OPA2227 loan unit for a comparative review. As mentioned above, I am hoping to get the very popular Leckerton Audio UHA-4 as well for the upcoming sub-$200 amp shootout, if it ever come back to stock by this month or next.

As for a short impression for C421 - It is every bit as good as I can hope it to be - neutral, transparent and has a scarily good depth in soundstage. I have not heard any better synergy with Etymotic ER4S than this amp. As a slim amp, it is definitely the best in my collection right now, and even rivals some of the full sized portable amps I have. I haven't had enough time on C421 yet, but as far as my current impression goes , I'll place C421 on par (if not better) than my Meier Audio Corda 3MOVE (which based on 2 x AD8610, the mono version of AD8620) and just a little behind Meier Audio Corda StepDance and JDS's own O2. The later two are some of the best sounding portable amps in the market now, so I will say C421 is really doing very well on its own.

http://www.inearmatters.net/2012/02/...amps.html#more
I am not sure which audio technica model is best as I never got to try them, should really ask Haonan on this.

As for DBA02 vs DBA02 MKII, I think it is better to go for DBA02 MKII due to the better build quality.

Last edited by dqwong; 30-03-2012 at 01:10 AM..
Old 30-03-2012, 08:18 AM   #57

I agree that build quality is improved on the MK2 but sound wise some actually prefer the older DBA02.

Anyway, need to get my DX100 first before I spend on the DBA02 MK2. Will have to try but it will be nice if I get to A-B with its predecessor.

Old 30-03-2012, 10:10 AM   #58

Alright Guys! TGIF! watch this video..so sweet..i want to buy the LADY..ahaha

BEAT AUDIO S.E.A Video Shoot 2012.mp4 - YouTube
CableLoveWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #59

It all depends on personal preference and what you have been using prior to listening to ER4. After owning 1964-Q for more than a year and listening to it everyday, I find the likes of DBA-02, ER4 to have no bass. Not actually saying that they don't but comparatively speaking, their bass presence sound so much thinner that it almost comes down to nothing.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.