HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Improve iPhone 7 music quality

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2017, 07:30 PM   #16
Arch-Supremacy Member

I thought iPhone 7 has no music quality at all, since it can only output digital signal to a dac lol. A bit like asking how to make a pair of Nike shoes run faster.

But joking aside, although I do not use an iPhone 7, there are three ways I will do to fully utilize its "audio capability".

1) Use wireless earphones, such as the Onkyo W800bt that I'm currently using.

2) Use a lightning cable with inbuilt dac and amp. I am a backer of two Capri cables (type c terminated though) and hope to get an Audeze iSine 10, to use as my iPhone 5S (it will be relegated to DAP status haha)

3) Connect it to a small portable dac+amp. Presently I can also use my Android phone with my Dragonfly black, can also be done with an iPhone 7.
I don't use the phone alone and connect a standard pair of earphones to it so can't comment on it, but I pair it up with my CIEM and amp so sound quality is very good. But I also use a third party music player app so it just wraps things up.

Wireless earphones/earbuds are great and it's the best option for portability and ease, but being bluetooth, can't really get a lot out from it. If I'm lazy, I'll just lug out my Earins, but sound quality can never compare to a dedicated rig.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:04 AM   #17

I don't use the phone alone and connect a standard pair of earphones to it so can't comment on it, but I pair it up with my CIEM and amp so sound quality is very good. But I also use a third party music player app so it just wraps things up.

Wireless earphones/earbuds are great and it's the best option for portability and ease, but being bluetooth, can't really get a lot out from it. If I'm lazy, I'll just lug out my Earins, but sound quality can never compare to a dedicated rig.
Actually my Onkyo W88bt sounds good enough that I don't miss my regular IEMs like Dita Answer and Hum Pristine. It's quite amazing how far wireless/bluetooth earphones technology have come.

Just a small quibble but you meant you're using a dac+amp with your CIEM and iPhone 7 right? Which brand and model?

Im using UM iem already. so don't need to get another headphone.
You should look into an aftermarket cable with a built in dac+amp for smallest form factor.

Another way is to use it with something like the Dragonfly.
xuan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:45 AM   #18
Arch-Supremacy Member

Actually my Onkyo W88bt sounds good enough that I don't miss my regular IEMs like Dita Answer and Hum Pristine. It's quite amazing how far wireless/bluetooth earphones technology have come.

Just a small quibble but you meant you're using a dac+amp with your CIEM and iPhone 7 right? Which brand and model?
Still no fight with my CIEM though, I'm using my 6s Plus for music now, with my reshelled TF10 with UM and one added mid driver, amp is RSA Predator.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:39 AM   #19

Still no fight with my CIEM though, I'm using my 6s Plus for music now, with my reshelled TF10 with UM and one added mid driver, amp is RSA Predator.
Ahh ok, ya the RSA Predator is a dac+amp. This morning I'm using the Audioquest Dragonfly Black with RE00 with my Mi5 as my source. Definitely sounds better than the W800bt but with the unit hanging out of my pocket, I keep worrying it'll drop onto the floor.
xuan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 04:03 PM   #20
Arch-Supremacy Member

Ahh ok, ya the RSA Predator is a dac+amp. This morning I'm using the Audioquest Dragonfly Black with RE00 with my Mi5 as my source. Definitely sounds better than the W800bt but with the unit hanging out of my pocket, I keep worrying it'll drop onto the floor.
You might want to carry it in a small sling bag instead, so minimise the risk of dropping it. I always do that with my bag in front of me so it's easier to reach.

I still think phones in general, the built-in audio chip still isn't as good as a DAP, so still cracking my head if I should get the FiiO X1ii.
Old 20-02-2017, 04:49 PM   #21

Consider Apogee ONE, which integrated with iPhone flawless, and it is powerful among portable amps, it drives my HD650 quite well, very satisfied.

My portable setup is iPhone6S with Tidal HiFi / Apogee ONE / HD650

Last edited by hyyd87; 20-02-2017 at 04:52 PM..
hyyd87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 04:52 PM   #22

BEATS ear piece for iPhone works well leh. the sound quality is supreme~ and BEATS ear piece quite durable... used a few years still hasnt spoil...
whyeeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 11:14 AM   #23
Supremacy Member

realize there is a new product for ip7 user.
Fiio i1.
waiting for it to release to check it out
Old 13-05-2017, 04:30 PM   #24
Arch-Supremacy Member

realize there is a new product for ip7 user.
Fiio i1.
waiting for it to release to check it out
It was announced a while back and good thing is that it has a built-in amp, but don't know performance how.
Old 14-05-2017, 09:27 PM   #25
Supremacy Member

Get a dap la
GotBetrayed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 01:54 PM   #26

Tried pairing with audioquest dragonfly. Sounded much better. But you need to get the lightning to usb connector.
Fragum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 01:57 PM   #27
Supremacy Member

Get a dap la
used to have a DAC but sold it.. dont want to bring 2 devices all the time.
Old 18-05-2017, 02:05 AM   #28
Supremacy Member

used to have a DAC but sold it.. dont want to bring 2 devices all the time.
Onkyo cmx1. Phone and dap together in one device. Best solution. But don't expect the phone to be as good as iphone 7
GotBetrayed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 08:54 PM   #29

If not used for on the go, can consider use the camera adapter and pair it with DAC.

I just got mine today and tested with nanoiDsD. Works with USB to ethernet adapter also
GoDSLaYeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.