HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Introduction to the world of headphones

Like Tree5Likes
Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-04-2006, 03:42 PM   #31

helpz! my headphone earpads(sponge-type) rotten! donno y the sudden rot... all the sponge dust-like
substances flew everywhere in my room when the fan blew... omg... when i tried to remove the sponge earpad... it tears...

now anyone know any alternatives? i have seen those sponge earpad replacement but im looking at other alternatives... any inputs guys?
Jayish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2006, 09:33 PM   #32
Master Member

What headphone? Waaa no idea man. lol.
Old 18-04-2006, 11:03 PM   #33

mine is the multi media headphone sennheiser pc130. bought quite some time ago.. 1/2 years i think.
sound wise. sennheiser still lives up to its reputation.
Jayish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2006, 11:21 PM   #34
Master Member

mine is the multi media headphone sennheiser pc130. bought quite some time ago.. 1/2 years i think.
sound wise. sennheiser still lives up to its reputation.
Senn got 2 years warranty rite? But i dunno if this consider wear and tear or not and the warranty dun cover it.
Old 24-04-2006, 01:37 AM   #35

I would not buy those crappy headphones. guys get a beyer headphones instead
n6a2wh6k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2006, 01:52 AM   #36

^
Aiyah, depends on taste lah. Beyers quite 'rangy' IMO. 770 quite bassy, I don't like.

DT880 (newer version) is so resolving however, everything out of it sounds so nice. I like the sound of orchestrated pieces being played on the DT880, detail, separation, neutrality, naturalness and openess.

I also think quite highly of the Audio technica ATH-A900. The Sennheiser HD280 Pro is also not bad, but I didn't spend a lot of time with it. The HD497 does sound a little cramped though, a bit of bass emphasis.
Old 24-04-2006, 02:16 PM   #37
Master Member

I would not buy those crappy headphones. guys get a beyer headphones instead
In what way are they crappy?
afbug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2006, 09:37 PM   #38

price performance ratio but then sound is subjective. prefer something neutral like beyer to bring out the originality of song
Old 24-04-2006, 10:32 PM   #39

^
But you have to remember not everyones taste is similar to yours.

Like you, I love the DT880 because of its neutrality and used it for enough hours to justify my liking for it, but to others, the DT880 may sound dry, lifeless and boring especially if they're bassheads. Also, people may not like the DT880 bcause its very revealing.
Old 24-04-2006, 10:53 PM   #40
Master Member

price performance ratio but then sound is subjective. prefer something neutral like beyer to bring out the originality of song
Price to performance ratio? Can you name me one Beyer or one other headphone that can beat Koss KSC75's price to performance ratio? And how to calcualte price to performance ratio? Most $300 headphone will no doubt sound better than a $50 one. If it sound worse, then it is indeed crappy.

I got nothing against Beyers but you have to look at the title of the thread and the interest of the members here. I will have suggested the top of the line headphones from various manufacturers if the people here are into headphones. And besides, not many members here owned a headamp.

Like the earphone thread, i might as well ask them to skip the budget earphones and go straight for the mid to high end earphones. There are different products for the different budget and market segment. Skip the cheap KIA and go for the Ferrari. Price to performance = Real blistering speed.
Old 24-04-2006, 10:58 PM   #41

^
I think Ferraris are a bit overrated, what about a Pagani Zonda F?
Old 24-04-2006, 11:14 PM   #42
Master Member

^
I think Ferraris are a bit overrated, what about a Pagani Zonda F?
No. Zonda is overrated, no race proven. Ferrari's low to mid end cars are race proven. But OT already. Thats another discuession for another thread and day.
Old 24-04-2006, 11:15 PM   #43

Price to performance ratio? Can you name me one Beyer or one other headphone that can beat Koss KSC75's price to performance ratio? And how to calcualte price to performance ratio? Most $300 headphone will no doubt sound better than a $50 one. If it sound worse, then it is indeed crappy.

I got nothing against Beyers but you have to look at the title of the thread and the interest of the members here. I will have suggested the top of the line headphones from various manufacturers if the people here are into headphones. And besides, not many members here owned a headamp.

Like the earphone thread, i might as well ask them to skip the budget earphones and go straight for the mid to high end earphones. There are different products for the different budget and market segment. Skip the cheap KIA and go for the Ferrari. Price to performance = Real blistering speed.
the dt880 is well recommended.
Old 24-04-2006, 11:18 PM   #44

i have simply lost faith in koss and senhen headphones. they are not well - built as in the past. even the grado fall prey to this area, maybe except for their higher end model .
Old 24-04-2006, 11:35 PM   #45

^
But you have to remember that even recommending the DT880, or any Beyers or higher end Grados, Audio Technicas and Senns might be a bit of an overkill here especially when people are just trying to look for low cost, yet decent sounding alternatives.

Build quality is one issue, that maybe true, since I know nothing about it, but in general, the higher up you go the audio chain, the more the law of diminishing returns apply, and honestly, I'm not complaining about my Koss SportaPros even though my CK7 sounds clearer than them, and my SportaPros seem pretty hardy as well.

An example would lie in someone who likes very heavy quantised yet sloppy bass yet cheap DJ headphones, then you suddenly tell them to switch over to the DT880, then they may also say that the DT880 sucks since it has 'no bass'.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.