HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

J3 users come here!

Like Tree2Likes
Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-03-2012, 10:34 PM   #766

I don't own a Clip Zip so i can't compare the SQ of it . I've read reviews saying that Zip , Clip+ and Fuze all have the same SQ but there are also others saying that Zip's SQ ain't better than Clip+ or Fuze . If you would wanna add an amp to your overall combo , i would say getting the Fuze would be the better choice since it would be double amping with Clip+ / J3 .

It all boils down to what you seek in a player . I wanted a player with better SQ yet below the price range of $300 thus i bought a J3 . I owned a S9 too but sold it off because i prefer a flat back instead of a curved one .

J3 imo has better sound quality over Clip+ in flat EQ . Their soundstage is wider + better bass and better dynamics . Details are also clearer than Clip+ . Clip+ in flat EQ ain't nothing fantastic . The only attractive factor is the size + price point for the SQ produced .

After adding enabling EQ in the J3 and rockboxing your Fuze / Clip+ , J3 pwns Fuze / Clip+ . The EQs advantages i believe you could read up over at Head-Fi . They have more information about this over there . End of the day, it depends whether you're a purist person or EQ person . Whether you wanna amp or not amping .

For SQ without amp , i would say J3 over the Clip+ .

For SQ with amp , definitely the Fuze over the rest as it has LOD .
Thanks x3dnd3x, I did some reading b4 this reply and bought a Zip. Did tried a Clip+ and Zip (from someone I happens to know and owns them) on a flat EQ and thought they sound very similar. I'm not into EQ and for now not looking into an amp as yet for the time being (would like the idea of scaling up step by step and enjoy the progress to audio nirvana). I kind of like what I heard from the Zip and it doesn't cost that much to own. I also know that it will eventually be passed on to my wife/daughter once I find my ideal player. Right now, the J3 is still in my shortlist and will take my time to research on some other players before committing. In your opinion, what is the next step up to the J3? Thanks.

Last edited by Leo888; 15-03-2012 at 11:03 PM..
Leo888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 10:38 PM   #767
High Supremacy Member

Thanks x3dnd3x, I did some reading b4 this reply and bought a Zip. Did tried a Clip+ and Zip (from someone I happens to know and owns them) on a flat EQ and thought they sound very similar. I kind of like what I heard and it doesn't cost that much to own and know that it will eventually be passed on to my wife/daughter once I find my ideal player. Right now, the J3 is still in my shortlist will take my time to research on some other players before committing. In your opinion, what is the next step up to the J3? Thanks.
Frankly speaking , i never spend more than $300 on a DAP . If it passes that amount , i rather use the money to get other audio stuffs . I'm more of a headphone person than IEM . Took me awhile before jumping to IE8 with custom sleeve . Before that was using Atrios .

It depends on how you view it . I rather spend more and listen comfortably at home . Imo , J3 up onwards i would say something which is in the top tier league like DX100 and etc . I never tried DX100 before thou .
x3dnd3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 11:04 PM   #768

Any tips on eq-ing on the J3? Have been using the J3 for quite a few months now and I've been using the preset EQs that came with the player ie. BBE Headphone and BBE Mach3Bass. I'm quite satisfied with the sound but is there any way to make it better? Any experts would like to shed light on this?
tomtan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 11:17 PM   #769
High Supremacy Member

Any tips on eq-ing on the J3? Have been using the J3 for quite a few months now and I've been using the preset EQs that came with the player ie. BBE Headphone and BBE Mach3Bass. I'm quite satisfied with the sound but is there any way to make it better? Any experts would like to shed light on this?
Go to Iaudiophile forum and look under Jet Effect 3.0 .

Use proxy .
Old 15-03-2012, 11:20 PM   #770

Frankly speaking , i never spend more than $300 on a DAP . If it passes that amount , i rather use the money to get other audio stuffs . I'm more of a headphone person than IEM . Took me awhile before jumping to IE8 with custom sleeve . Before that was using Atrios .

It depends on how you view it . I rather spend more and listen comfortably at home . Imo , J3 up onwards i would say something which is in the top tier league like DX100 and etc . I never tried DX100 before thou .
I'm with you regarding being a headphone person and I do own the HD650 and M50. I have a young family with 2 kids and is quite impossible to listen comfortably with all the distractions around. Anyway, you have a point there regarding spending too much on a DAP and have read in other forums that most good quality DAP sounds quite similar on a flat EQ. Now you have trigger my urge to part money for the J3/Z2. About DX100, did thought about it but for the price, I'm not so sure about that.
Leo888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 11:30 PM   #771
High Supremacy Member

I'm with you regarding being a headphone person and I do own the HD650 and M50. I have a young family with 2 kids and is quite impossible to listen comfortably with all the distractions around. Anyway, you have a point there regarding spending too much on a DAP and have read in other forums that most good quality DAP sounds quite similar on a flat EQ. Now you have trigger my urge to part money for the J3/Z2. About DX100, did thought about it but for the price, I'm not so sure about that.
Arh M50 . I'm either on DT990 or T1 . Currently considering to purchase a new headphone for studio monitoring . Considering M50 or MK240ii .
Old 15-03-2012, 11:59 PM   #772
Supremacy Member

You have to know your IEM's weak and strong points to eq. As in which areas to boost in the Jet effect 3.0.
If you can do this properly, it will sound better than all of the preset eq's imo.
Mzeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 12:26 AM   #773

You have to know your IEM's weak and strong points to eq. As in which areas to boost in the Jet effect 3.0.
If you can do this properly, it will sound better than all of the preset eq's imo.
Hmm.. I'm currently using Shure SE215. Pretty modest setup haha.
Old 16-03-2012, 01:00 AM   #774
Supremacy Member

Shure SE215

I don't really understand the graph there, but it seems the bass on the 215 is lacking? Probably need to add a bit to it?

To start off, you could set the benchmark as "Normal" eq, and start to improve bit and bit from there. Usually the signature sound isn't too far off from Normal.
Old 16-03-2012, 02:05 AM   #775

Shure SE215

I don't really understand the graph there, but it seems the bass on the 215 is lacking? Probably need to add a bit to it?

To start off, you could set the benchmark as "Normal" eq, and start to improve bit and bit from there. Usually the signature sound isn't too far off from Normal.
Haha the only thing I'm worried about is that the music will start to become unatural, not like how it was originally intended to be heard.
Old 16-03-2012, 03:06 AM   #776
High Supremacy Member

Haha the only thing I'm worried about is that the music will start to become unatural, not like how it was originally intended to be heard.
EQ-ing will definitely change the music alittle . You gain some , you lose some .
Old 17-03-2012, 12:07 PM   #777

If no amp , go for J3 .

If you plan to use dac/amp combo , use Iphone or your Ipod touch because got line out .
Thanks ah! Know what I want alr
tricraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2012, 01:18 PM   #778
Master Member

Some guys has no either how to mix and the end result is bad.

Abletron001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #779

Shure SE215

what i normally do is to fire up the equalizer to maximum values then i slowly lessen tremble and bass until i get the sound that i like, i takes some patience to customize your own sound though but its well worth your time once you got it. SE535 is quite good by the way.

Last edited by zaoltryence; 18-03-2012 at 04:50 PM..
zaoltryence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2012, 08:06 PM   #780
Supremacy Member

what i normally do is to fire up the equalizer to maximum values then i slowly lessen tremble and bass until i get the sound that i like, i takes some patience to customize your own sound though but its well worth your time once you got it. SE535 is quite good by the way.
Hope you are actually increasing it to 12 on one band one at a time
Doing it on all 5 would be earsplitting
Besides that, there are also narrow/normal/wide and also the various frequencies to play with. I try never to go beyond 2 on any band.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.