just got my new creative aurvana live 2, do i need amps?

skaade

Master Member
Reaction score
Purchased my new cans from their website at the promo price of $129! Very happy with it but I'm not a serious audiophile so don't know how to review more technical elements.

In any case, should I get portable amps for my new cans? I listen to my HTC one M8, iPad mini or iPod nano on the go. When in office, I'm using an iMac.

What do you guys think? My budget is $100 or less for starters..

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can consider the Creative E1 portable headphone amp which don't cost that much.
I own this headset before, it's very subjective whether do you need
a amp or not.

paul02

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It would only seem necessary to have an amp if you find that you have to Max the volume on your device to hear audibly. If not, the headphone probably doesn't need an amp to drive it to its fullest potential.

Do read up more if you're to become a budding audiophile before you jumpi just buying the parts and the like.

Start from scratch and slowly work your way up from there.

weng

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'd say skip the amp and just enjoy your music plugged direct.

skaade

Master Member
Reaction score
Can consider the Creative E1 portable headphone amp which don't cost that much.
I own this headset before, it's very subjective whether do you need
a amp or not.

hmmm i think im slowly warming up to it. when i first tried it i thought its a little on the softer side and lacks a bit of punch. but as i use it more, it seems to sound better and better.

i hope it gets better and better. :D

paul02

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
a noob question. when does one determine that an amp is needed? :s11:

It would only seem necessary to have an amp if you find that you have to Max the volume on your device to hear audibly. If not, the headphone probably doesn't need an amp to drive it to its fullest potential.

Explained there.

Kyo_kusanagi86

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I just realised that there is a "burn-in" period for headphones..... The longer you use it the better it sounds.

TeamStereo

Suspended
Reaction score
I just realised that there is a "burn-in" period for headphones..... The longer you use it the better it sounds.

True! That is what we are doing as well in the shop after closing hours. Every new earphones and headphones need their driver/s to be seasoned. Our demo counters would always be full of new demo sets. :D

weng

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
a noob question. when does one determine that an amp is needed? :s11:

imo is grey area la... functionally like what paul said, it could really be for amplication purposes. subjectively, having an amp may or may not enhance the sound (not the volume), dependent on various factors. you may or may not like it, may or may not feel it's a meaningful change for the money you have to pay.

so best is shortlist a few, go try try if demos are available, and decide for yourself if it's worth the extra piece of equipment, extra connection and bulk w.r.t. to the gear you use for your particular usage style.

skaade

Master Member
Reaction score
No la. Planning a trip to treoo to try their amps and was thinking of getting the cable by fiio too. Still using it direct and very happy with my new headphones.

But it does seem that this pair of headphones aren't that popular for some reason!

mokseng

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I just got them for $99 at their website. Got comex $20 discount, hoot ah. It's my first pair of headphones. Been using xiaomi pistons for a few months.

I don't really listen to music a whole lot, normally just watch videos, YouTube, listen to podcasts, so I thought I wouldn't need to spend so much on a pair. Was considering more portable options like those that can fold the cups in, but came across this offer that is too much to pass on. :)

pions2000

Reaction score
huh?

129 +99, and you can get almost the highest end creative headphone!

And you play without amps, you willl have a better souind (or whatever audiophilic terms you may use.. ).... and also shiokness of owning the creative best...

Why add amp to your live 2.... other than placeabo effect and loudness factor.... what do you think you can get?

Anyway, enjoy your purchase... If you can feel the difference... good for you!

kaixax555

Honorary Member
Reaction score
I don't think an amp is really needed, for it is pretty efficient and running straight out of a portable player...

Unless you are running something like the ER4S you most likely won't need one

mokseng

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That's good. I'm no audiophile and don't plan on getting an amp. I saw on head-fi that the cable they give isn't that good, so they recommend buying a better cable without the volume and mic controls. Will see how it sounds when mine arrives. Anyone else bought during the comex sale?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.