Need help finding the right headphone!

augustussung

Reaction score
Okay, so you guys prolly get this a lot around here. But i'm looking to buy a pair of headphones but truth be told, i'm a complete noob when it comes to these things.

What's the difference between closed and open headphones? Which one's better? I've heard lots of good things about v-moda crossfade m-100 and sennheiser momentum.

I've got a budget of $400. Recommendations please!

weng

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
open
- usually you see a grille on the back of the cup, may see the driver itself through the grille too, depending on design.
- sound leakage, pple around you can hear what you are listening too. potential distraction. not good for libraries.
- sound isolation not as good also. you will still hear quite a bit of outside noise. not ideal for outdoor on-the-move use. also means you may need to crank up volume which is not good for your ears.
- soundstage usually bigger. +/- on other sound aspects.

closed
- usually you see sealed housing.
- better sound isolation. pple around you shouldn't be hearing things.
- better isolation also means you don't need to crank up volume as much to listen properly when you are outdoors. better for your ears.
- soundstage may not be as big as open ones. +/- on other sound aspects.

as for which headphones is better, you really gotta go and try them yourself as sound is highly subjective... also depends on the music genres you listen to. can drop by stereo, jaben and e1 to test till you song. :D

Last edited:

TeamStereo

Suspended
Reaction score
If you are going to use the headphone outdoors best to go for closed designs. The Vmoda M100 and the Sennheiser Momentum/On Ears are great on the go headphones. :)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.