Need recommendation for earphone when running

gt_5454

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals.... I have been using my iPhone and the original earphones for listening to music when I am running in the gym's treadmill.
As my earphone died on me today, I am hoping to get a recommendation on a replacement.

My budget is about $100 to maybe $120 and my requirements are as follows:

1. Hope to have some bass as I listen to fast songs when running .. Occasionally listen to slow Chinese ballads in leisure time

2. Not sure if I need to get sports earphones as Original earphone feels very loose and it actually drops off occasionally but not often

3. Mic is good to have but not necessary as it can also be used for talking on the phone while driving

I went to stereo at PS last weekend but was overwhelmed by the numerous choices there ...
Hope to hear some suggestions from the experts here .. Thanks in advance

megaMANX6

Reaction score
U may wanna try Soundmagic PL-50. Its very light (feel like wearing nth at all) and the fittings is good.

The clarity is good for the price of 75 dollars. The only main con is the lack of bass.

Kelv

Reaction score
1st of all, i am no expert but i think i'll try to help you narrow down your choices.

I will be the to first rule out earbuds as they are not suitable for running due to the fact that most people have problems with them falling off when running.

That leaves us with canalphones or IEMs as some might prefer to call them.

I do think there are a few concerns when it comes to running with canalphones.

Firstly, environmental ambient noise. Many runners these days prefer closed canalphones as these isolate the environmental noise but at the same time not hearing what is coming up from behind or along your blind spots can be dangerous.
If you are concerned about hearing what's around you, try looking for examples with tiny vents or even maybe a single larger vent.

Secondly, runners are constantly battling 2 of the worst problems that can happen to canalphones.
These 2 problems are Fit and Microphonics.

Needless to say with a bad fit, one side of your canalphones will loosen up and cause you to make multiple needless adjustments during your run which can be frustrating. Worst case scenario, one side pops out.

Microphonics is a passive kind of sound you get with canalphones when the cable
before the y-split portion is subjected to unnecessary motion (rubbing agaist your shirt or swaying due to motion).
Of course, the quantity of the sound produced by this effect will also be dependent on the type of surface material and weight of the cable. Nonetheless, it is hard to prevent unless you wear the phones over your ear.
Rule of thumb is to get a pair that has light cables with no volume/ media control pod or extension socket to minimize the effect.
Many canalphones these days are made to be worn over the ear and these examples will dramatically reduce microphonics.

Last problem i can think of is sensitivity of the phones you plan to buy. Buy something that gives you a good sensitivity rating so your portable player can drive it to comfortable or louder volume levels without distortion. Most canalphones are fine in this area, but then again there are exceptions.

Some phones i would look out for if i were in your shoes
(This below list i compiled is purely with consideration to running and catered to your budget, thus light housing material with no flimsy parts to sustain a secure fit, light cablings and no pods/ extension socket and ability for over the ear fit to minimize microphonics. There is no relation to Sound Quality)

ECCI PR200 (lendmeurears) - cheap and relatively nice sounding.
ECCI PR300 (lendmeurears) - nice sounding and looks very stealth, i like. :)
Etymotic MC5 (stereo/ amazon) - If isolation is your thing, this is def one of the better ones.
Etymotic ER6i (stereo/ amazon) - Old bird is best in the group in terms of isolation and clarity.
Fischer Audio Eterna (farle/ treoo) - fun sounding, looks smaller in the flesh than in photos.
Fischer Audio Omega (farle/ treoo) - the audio technica CK9 housings on this models looks sweet, never heard them.
H2O Surge (amazon/ treoo) - the pioneers of this segment, i applaud their dedication.
JVC HA-FX34 (mustafa/ amazon)- the Version 2 marshmallows, everyone should have one.
KOSS Plug (hung bros/ stereo?) - Koss' equivalent of the JVC marshmallows.
Meelectronics M6 (amazon) - powerful bass, great fit and super lightweight, did i mention powerful bass?
Meelectronics A151 (amazon) - Me's first Balanced armature IEM, good price too!
Nuforce NE700X (amazon/ stereo?) - Very sleek design, nice overall package
Nuforce NE8 (stereo) - Nuforce's dark sheep, sold in mediocre quantities, housing almost same as Soundmagic PL30 but without the rubbish control knob, promising as a running IEM
Sennheiser CX200 (amazon) - The only Sennheiser series i feel is decent for running
SoundMagic PL50 (stereo/ treoo) - Well put together and comfy IEM, it's a balance armature too.
Sunrise Audio Xscape V2 (lendmeurears) - I would dare say that this would stand up to abuse way better than the version 1s.

Last but not least, have fun in searching for your new running companion.

Last edited:

Promethus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I use UE 700 for my running coupled with sansa clip. Super light weight, good sound, good isolation (I run only after 12am, I don't care about ambient sounds.) and it stays put without cable irritation too. I line it from the back and wear it over the ears.

gt_5454

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion so far.... I was looking at sennheiser cx300-II .... think it is retailing at $109 ... is that a good choice?

TeamStereo

Suspended
Reaction score
CX300-II is not sweat resistant. If you prefer sennheiser maybe you can go for the CX680?

gt_5454

Master Member
Reaction score
CX300-II is not sweat resistant. If you prefer sennheiser maybe you can go for the CX680?

Is it really necessary to go for sweat resistant ones? Not definitely need to be sennheiser actually ... Can u recommend?

Tarcius

Reaction score
Hi guys and gals.... I have been using my iPhone and the original earphones for listening to music when I am running in the gym's treadmill.
As my earphone died on me today, I am hoping to get a recommendation on a replacement.

My budget is about $100 to maybe $120 and my requirements are as follows:

1. Hope to have some bass as I listen to fast songs when running .. Occasionally listen to slow Chinese ballads in leisure time

2. Not sure if I need to get sports earphones as Original earphone feels very loose and it actually drops off occasionally but not often

3. Mic is good to have but not necessary as it can also be used for talking on the phone while driving

I went to stereo at PS last weekend but was overwhelmed by the numerous choices there ...
Hope to hear some suggestions from the experts here .. Thanks in advance
u can try out sx 10 from beyerdynamic at stereo. The price is super cheap i think, around 30 bucks..

Promethus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is it really necessary to go for sweat resistant ones? Not definitely need to be sennheiser actually ... Can u recommend?

I don't think so. I've been running with various set up a few years ago before my injury. So long as you clean the units and wires with wet wipes after every couple of runs or even better, every run. I think it will last as long as it will with any normal usage.

zhuang_zijian

Reaction score
i dun think the ecci ones r really good for running especially if u hv small ears. i noe a few problem with ecci pr series fit. maybe ts can look for 2nd hand um1.

TAUS93

Reaction score
You may wanna try meelec's m6p? they offer quite good bass and sound quality with for their price. over the ear design, light = wont drop while running. very cheap for ur budget at $48 :)

gt_5454

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all your kind suggestions ... I went to stereo today and tested a sennheiser mm70, nu force ne 7m, audio technical 400 , creative ep 630 and sound magic pl21 ....
I instantly like the pl z21 it's bass as I usually run in the gym which can be noisy so I reckon the heavy bass can add some punch to my runs .... Was quite happy to note that it is also very affordable at $39.90

zhuang_zijian

Reaction score
sometimes too much bass may be bad for running. sometimes, the bass will throw my rhythm off so i end up running too fast.

pinkmechanic

Reaction score
You may wanna try meelec's m6p? they offer quite good bass and sound quality with for their price. over the ear design, light = wont drop while running. very cheap for ur budget at $48 :)

I'm using m6 for jogging too. Stays on due to the memory wire (tried others and it kept dropping out for me) and sound quality is rather good. Reasonable price too so not so heartpain if it spoils (due to sweat).

I got mine off amazon for only USD19.90.

superjelly4311

Master Member
Reaction score
Hmm what about sports specific sennheiser sports series such as the PMX680, they are earbuds but i wonder if the design is good enough to specifically keep your earphones on well. Im probably going to try them out soon.

Have been using in-ears but from time to time I will have to remove it as there is too much sweat accumulated or would tend to fall out easily from the sweat.

sngyanyuan

Reaction score
yurbuds

Hmm what about sports specific sennheiser sports series such as the PMX680, they are earbuds but i wonder if the design is good enough to specifically keep your earphones on well. Im probably going to try them out soon.

Have been using in-ears but from time to time I will have to remove it as there is too much sweat accumulated or would tend to fall out easily from the sweat.

My girlfriend bought yurbuds and it does not come off no matter how she runs. It is awesome and she bought it for $69 at holland village

TeamStereo

Suspended
Reaction score
Second the Yurbuds recommendation.
Can refer to this brief review of them.
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/h...ew-yurbud-looking-recommendation-4472388.html

Or you may refer to our Headphone Gift Guide for some introduction to some of the sports earphones. :)
sportsemag_zpsff63d86c.jpg

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.