Noise-canceling headphones - very limited budget

Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-01-2017, 11:47 AM   #1
Supremacy Member

Noise-canceling headphones - very limited budget

Hi,
Just want to ask if it's possible to buy a pair of noise-canceling headphones for a very limited budget of less than $150. I use the headphones to watch movies on a flight. I have circumaural headphones, Sennheisers but the roar of the airplane engines are so loud I can't hear the dialogue in the movie. I watch movies on my own Sony Tablet Z at max volume but I can hardly hear anything. I must say that I usually tune volume quite high when watching movies even on my tv or desktop cos I usually can't catch everything that is said. By the way, I usually fly budget airlines that's why I am watching movies from my tablet. But even in-flight entertainment also usually not loud enough or I should say background engine noise is too over-powering.

So this begs the question:

1) Would noise canceling headphones help?
2) Any recommendations for something less than $150?
3) Prefer headphones and not earbuds but open to all suggestions if any at all.

Thank you very much!
Teo Ming Ern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 09:48 AM   #2

Hi,
Just want to ask if it's possible to buy a pair of noise-canceling headphones for a very limited budget of less than $150. I use the headphones to watch movies on a flight. I have circumaural headphones, Sennheisers but the roar of the airplane engines are so loud I can't hear the dialogue in the movie. I watch movies on my own Sony Tablet Z at max volume but I can hardly hear anything. I must say that I usually tune volume quite high when watching movies even on my tv or desktop cos I usually can't catch everything that is said. By the way, I usually fly budget airlines that's why I am watching movies from my tablet. But even in-flight entertainment also usually not loud enough or I should say background engine noise is too over-powering.

So this begs the question:

1) Would noise canceling headphones help?
2) Any recommendations for something less than $150?
3) Prefer headphones and not earbuds but open to all suggestions if any at all.

Thank you very much!
I have not reviewed any ANC headphones below $150, but I did a search and found a Sony ANC headphones at S$69.
http://www.sony.com.sg/electronics/h...es/mdr-zx110nc

In general, most ANC headphones will easily remove the low frequencies like engine noises, to some degree. And looking at the budget price, you must not expect magic, but should still be better than zero ANC.

In my last trip, I slip in a pair of unknown brand Mixcder ANC-G5 wired earphones with ANC. Works great in removing engine noise.
http://musicphotolife.com/2016/11/mi...red-earphones/
Old 23-01-2017, 01:42 PM   #3
Supremacy Member

Wow! Thanks! You really made my day! $69 for Sony is a pretty great price... and noise canceling too?
Old 23-01-2017, 06:27 PM   #4
Supremacy Member

I've found mixed reviews of the Sony headphones... I should try to test it out. Anywhere you know I can test drive the noise cancellation?
Old 25-01-2017, 01:43 PM   #5
Supremacy Member

Hello music_sg,

Have you tried Philips SHL3850NC Active Noise Cancelling headphones? Online reviews seem good. Available at Harvey Norman at $99. I can't seem to get the Sony that you mentioned.

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/Review...eadphones.aspx
Old 25-01-2017, 03:07 PM   #6
High Supremacy Member

Sony, 313 somerset Sony Centre should have I think.
Old 26-01-2017, 08:36 AM   #7
Supremacy Member

Sony, 313 somerset Sony Centre should have I think.
Ah well... I was hoping not to have to travel all the way down to town lar... hopefully some of the regional malls in the West carry it...
Old 26-01-2017, 09:24 AM   #8
High Supremacy Member

Gearbest's Meizu sub usd50
derazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 09:33 AM   #9
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hello music_sg,

Have you tried Philips SHL3850NC Active Noise Cancelling headphones? Online reviews seem good. Available at Harvey Norman at $99. I can't seem to get the Sony that you mentioned.

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/Review...eadphones.aspx
U can get the Philips one cheaper here...
http://list.qoo10.sg/item/PHILIPS-PH...ANTY/448184438
Old 26-01-2017, 10:47 PM   #10
Supremacy Member

U can get the Philips one cheaper here...
http://list.qoo10.sg/item/PHILIPS-PH...ANTY/448184438
Thanks... I saw it too... But I have no chance to test drive the noise cancellation and how effective it is. I had a go with Bose's Quietcomfort 35. The shop had booming CNY song with vocals... Cut out almost everything except part of the vocals... Pretty impressive. But I felt like getting a bit of headache when I was watching a movie with the headphones..
Old 27-01-2017, 04:23 PM   #11

Thanks... I saw it too... But I have no chance to test drive the noise cancellation and how effective it is. I had a go with Bose's Quietcomfort 35. The shop had booming CNY song with vocals... Cut out almost everything except part of the vocals... Pretty impressive. But I felt like getting a bit of headache when I was watching a movie with the headphones..
I have the Bose qc35 and it is freaking amazing at ANC and pretty comfy too. Sound quality isn't the best but it's decent, nice flat signature. However it is way out of your budget!
saltknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 06:03 PM   #12
Supremacy Member

I have the Bose qc35 and it is freaking amazing at ANC and pretty comfy too. Sound quality isn't the best but it's decent, nice flat signature. However it is way out of your budget!
I know right... not about to pay $500+ for a set of headphones lar... I tested it... amazing ANC. I read that Sony's ANC is also on par... hence my great interest in the MDR-ZX110NC... a bit difficult to find reviews for that model... and I wonder if it is sold in Singapore... I visited Courts and Harvey Norman at Jurong Point and both carried a variety of brands but not this model...
Old 28-01-2017, 12:08 AM   #13
Arch-Supremacy Member

Lol ic...

10char
Old 28-01-2017, 08:01 PM   #14

anyone using qc30? any reviews? I'm more inclined to something that is more portable.
Bababah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 09:57 PM   #15

anyone using qc30? any reviews? I'm more inclined to something that is more portable.
u might want to go down to jaben. its in adelphi. can try out all the products. i went there last month. there's only 2 staff in the store. so if there's no crowd then they may give u 100% attention.

when Jaben was at the upper floors in adelphi it was so much better. got many staff and many tables and chairs for people to sit down and test the earphone headphone.

i bought 2 earphones and 1 headphone from them last month. i got a really good discount. try not to talk big or be arrogant with the staff.
kaixin18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.