Null Audio Lune or the Arete cable??

abcd_y

Reaction score
I've been listening to my TF10 with the Lune cable for a few days now.

First thought was, i couldn't tell the different of SQ between the stock and this cable. Slowly i kinda feel that the mids are being brought forward a little more (feels a little more punchy), bass has dropped back a little (less punch, not boomy), i would say more controlled? As for the highs, can't tell the different.

I've read somewhere that cables can never alter the SQ produced by our IEMs because of etc. etc. I'm not sure but i may be having some doubts now.

Exterior cable wise, build quality is very good. Full sleeved in black. Using Neutrik right-angled connector. Look like it'll last for awhile.

Overall i'm pretty fine with the cable, perhaps i may need to "burn-in" my TF10 longer as I've got it only for a few weeks.

LondoBell

Master Member
Reaction score

First thought was, i couldn't tell the different of SQ between the stock and this cable. Slowly i kinda feel that the mids are being brought forward a little more (feels a little more punchy), bass has dropped back a little (less punch, not boomy), i would say more controlled? As for the highs, can't tell the different.

I've read somewhere that cables can never alter the SQ produced by our IEMs because of etc. etc. I'm not sure but i may be having some doubts now.

Exterior cable wise, build quality is very good. Full sleeved in black. Using Neutrik right-angled connector. Look like it'll last for awhile.

Overall i'm pretty fine with the cable, perhaps i may need to "burn-in" my TF10 longer as I've got it only for a few weeks.

BA iems no need burn in huan

Kopi_Lui

Master Member
Reaction score
im also comparing between the 2 cables and its $50 difference so its pretty frustrating. However i realised that the lune is silver, while arete is OFC (copper is other words) and with reference to average_job's review, the diff in electrical conductivity etc was not big. But if we do use it on lower powered devices (like mp3 w/o amp), it does help right? or at least i should hear some difference?

Im currently on stock TF10 and like most ppl, my cable is kinda falling apart. I feel my TF 10 lacks bass and a little highs on stock now so i was hoping getting the lune would help

any comments?

yynj26

Reaction score

Who did you get your cables with and how long did they take to arrive? :)

LiQuiFireX

Reaction score
im also comparing between the 2 cables and its $50 difference so its pretty frustrating. However i realised that the lune is silver, while arete is OFC (copper is other words) and with reference to average_job's review, the diff in electrical conductivity etc was not big. But if we do use it on lower powered devices (like mp3 w/o amp), it does help right? or at least i should hear some difference?

Im currently on stock TF10 and like most ppl, my cable is kinda falling apart. I feel my TF 10 lacks bass and a little highs on stock now so i was hoping getting the lune would help

any comments?

Just get the es2 cable if u're looking for bass improvements. Read from some forumers it's usually good enough and westone cables are durable. Get one from stereo and ask them to file it down for the tf10.

abcd_y

Reaction score

any comments?

I'm not sure if there's an obvious difference in SQ if it's plugged into an amp+player cos I've not tried it. Maybe other users who does that could comment?

I've been pairing up my tf10+lune with my iPod video (with Rockbox) and MacBook for pleasure listening.

I remembered when I first plug in my lune with the iem, I couldn't tell a difference between the stock and the lune. I tested it out with FLAC music files. It actually took me awhile to tell the difference. Mids are the most obvious, it was brought forward, better clarity in this area. Highs goes slightly higher. If you feel bass lacks from the stock, the lune may disappoint as it feels more controlled now, definitely not as boomy as the stock. I'm actually a bass person, so this was a con for me. I used to own the 5eb for 2yrs. But my ears began to adjust to the new sound. So its fine now. Few days ago, I went back to the stock to re-compare, everything sounded too messy and now I hate it. Glad that I've changed it. The lune in my opinion organizes the music of the high, mid and low better, feels neater/clearer too. Lucky I didn't get the arête, cos the ranges would surely be a notch or 2 below the quality of lune. Which will surely make even lesser difference if we compare it with the stock. <--IMO.

Others may disagree or agree one way or another about the response but I'm no super audiophile but just someone who needs to feel satisfied with some level above the mass market in the level of quality. :)

Last edited:

Kopi_Lui

Master Member
Reaction score
Just get the es2 cable if u're looking for bass improvements. Read from some forumers it's usually good enough and westone cables are durable. Get one from stereo and ask them to file it down for the tf10.

That was also one of my choice, due to tight budget. Lune also cost 2.xx times more. However im thinking since im changing i might as well get something of a reasonable quality and SQ, this is where the lune tempts me :)

I'm not sure if there's an obvious difference in SQ if it's plugged into an amp+player cos I've not tried it. Maybe other users who does that could comment?

I've been pairing up my tf10+lune with my iPod video (with Rockbox) and MacBook for pleasure listening.

I remembered when I first plug in my lune with the iem, I couldn't tell a difference between the stock and the lune. I tested it out with FLAC music files. It actually took me awhile to tell the difference. Mids are the most obvious, it was brought forward, better clarity in this area. Highs goes slightly higher. If you feel bass lacks from the stock, the lune may disappoint as it feels more controlled now, definitely not as boomy as the stock. I'm actually a bass person, so this was a con for me. I used to own the 5eb for 2yrs. But my ears began to adjust to the new sound. So its fine now. Few days ago, I went back to the stock to re-compare, everything sounded too messy and now I hate it. Glad that I've changed it. The lune in my opinion organizes the music of the high, mid and low better, feels neater/clearer too. Lucky I didn't get the arête, cos the ranges would surely be a notch or 2 below the quality of lune. Which will surely make even lesser difference if we compare it with the stock. <--IMO.

Others may disagree or agree one way or another about the response but I'm no super audiophile but just someone who needs to feel satisfied with some level above the mass market in the level of quality. :)

Actually im using the Cowon J3 with my tf10. after tweaking the EQ, i find it acceptable. But when i connect it to the 3.5mm jack on my altec lansing computer speakers, it sounds great. Bass, mids, highs are all great (ok theres a bass and treble slider on the speaker which i do tune though). I was assuming there is a mini-amp (or something similar) powering/driving it thats why everything is so clear and forward. Im no audiophile too :) just wanna hear whats supposed to be in the song.

I also do have something similar to a amp, but its a A/D interface and the sound sounds as good as it is on the altec speakers.

So actually based on my test, the bass and highs are actually there but not brought out through the cowon. And since it is silver cable, sound at all frequencies should require less power to "drive" and thus making it more obvious isnt it? Or my concept is wrong haha

Just for discussions :)

Kopi_Lui

Master Member
Reaction score
one more point i noted with my faulty cable.

When i listen to any song, the faulty seem to become softer, other than become softer, the bass didnt seem to be present, as compared to the other other working side. It can range from very little (almost none) bass to probably nothing. So i was afriad its also the low-frequency driver dying, i dun think so "zhun" right?

abcd_y

Reaction score
That was also one of my choice, due to tight budget. Lune also cost 2.xx times more. However im thinking since im changing i might as well get something of a reasonable quality and SQ, this is where the lune tempts me :)

Actually im using the Cowon J3 with my tf10. after tweaking the EQ, i find it acceptable. But when i connect it to the 3.5mm jack on my altec lansing computer speakers, it sounds great. Bass, mids, highs are all great (ok theres a bass and treble slider on the speaker which i do tune though). I was assuming there is a mini-amp (or something similar) powering/driving it thats why everything is so clear and forward. Im no audiophile too :) just wanna hear whats supposed to be in the song.

I also do have something similar to a amp, but its a A/D interface and the sound sounds as good as it is on the altec speakers.

So actually based on my test, the bass and highs are actually there but not brought out through the cowon. And since it is silver cable, sound at all frequencies should require less power to "drive" and thus making it more obvious isnt it? Or my concept is wrong haha

Just for discussions :)

Interesting. Anyway to your last point, hope someone who knows the more technical aspect of custom cables could reply this as I'm ain't sure either, but interested to know.

Kopi_Lui

Master Member
Reaction score
sent an email to null audio but no reply leh...anyway else i can get the lune cable?

abcd_y

Reaction score
anyone know how long it takes to arrive or can i get it from their shop or something?

As for the sleeve, how come null audio website has no such option? and for this i have to pay $15 more
I've checked with Kevin Wang from null audio regarding the sleeving. He replied to say that he can do it with an additional $15, only in B/W currently. He sells it originally without any sleeve on.

I choose Treoo because it was slightly cheaper after i used their discount coupon. Give it 1+week for delivery. I don't think you can go to any shop to get it.

Kopi_Lui

Master Member
Reaction score
I've checked with Kevin Wang from null audio regarding the sleeving. He replied to say that he can do it with an additional $15, only in B/W currently. He sells it originally without any sleeve on.

I choose Treoo because it was slightly cheaper after i used their discount coupon. Give it 1+week for delivery. I don't think you can go to any shop to get it.

May i know where to get the coupon? or if its still available?

abcd_y

Reaction score
Barely a month and a half my lune's neutrik plug had started giving me a problem. Sound can't be transmitted fully, and I've got to keep adjusting the connector. Plugged into 3 diff devices to confirm the fault. Will be handing the cable over to null audio to get it fix. :(

Kopi_Lui

Master Member
Reaction score
Barely a month and a half my lune's neutrik plug had started giving me a problem. Sound can't be transmitted fully, and I've got to keep adjusting the connector. Plugged into 3 diff devices to confirm the fault. Will be handing the cable over to null audio to get it fix. :(

is this a common issue on lune cables? neutrik plug is the L-shaped one?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.