Portable Android DAC/AMP .....or........ Standalone DAP

ritvik123

Reaction score
Hello,

I just got rid of my desktop gear since I'm not at home much. The daily commute to work and back will be my only chance to get some time to listen to music and I'm considering getting a standalone DAP or an DAC/AMP that would pair with Samsung S6 Edge.

Not too sure what's out there sine I see a lot of new DAPs this year. Will currently be using the Heir Audi 8a and perhaps another CIEM in the near future (UERM or NT6 perhaps).

I've used the AK100 and AK120 and also the Glove Audio A1 coupled with the AK devices. Not too keen on more AK stuff. I like the Oppo HA-2 but I hear it has hiss with the S6 and sometimes requires the phone to be in airplane mode to avoid the hiss.

Looking for suggestions on what kind of a device to go for. Not too fussy when it comes to criteria;
  • Would like to limit spending to around 600
  • Portable and not too large
  • Storage isn't much of an issue, one card slot would suffice
  • Touch screen would be nice but not a must
  • Open to buying used gear as well

ritvik123

Reaction score
DAP wise: PAW5000, DX90 etc

I would suggest Fiio X5II

thanks. The PAW 5000 and the newly released Cayin N5 currently top my list, with the X5II as the next alternative.

AK JR is reviewed to be on par with DX90 but has better design

Thank you, I really like the form factor of the AK Jr. Didn't want to go with AK again but if it sounds good and the UI isn't too laggy then this might do nicely.

Tempted to push the budget up a bit and pick up a AK100ii as well. The balanced output (which the PAW5000 and N5 have) is what's attracting to me to it.

I know its unlikely but would the AKs be discounted during Comex??

Last edited:

porcu

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I just got rid of my desktop gear since I'm not at home much. The daily commute to work and back will be my only chance to get some time to listen to music and I'm considering getting a standalone DAP or an DAC/AMP that would pair with Samsung S6 Edge.

Not too sure what's out there sine I see a lot of new DAPs this year. Will currently be using the Heir Audi 8a and perhaps another CIEM in the near future (UERM or NT6 perhaps).

I've used the AK100 and AK120 and also the Glove Audio A1 coupled with the AK devices. Not too keen on more AK stuff. I like the Oppo HA-2 but I hear it has hiss with the S6 and sometimes requires the phone to be in airplane mode to avoid the hiss.

Looking for suggestions on what kind of a device to go for. Not too fussy when it comes to criteria;
  • Would like to limit spending to around 600
  • Portable and not too large
  • Storage isn't much of an issue, one card slot would suffice
  • Touch screen would be nice but not a must
  • Open to buying used gear as well

I own the Oppo HA-2 amp and also the DX90.
Also confused on which to use sometimes.

I normally would treat my DX90 like a portable HDD with songs stored on it.
And use the HA-2 paired with my iP6+ when playing back music from Spotify or Apple Music.

For some reason I find the single sabre chip HA-2 to sound better than my DX90. Is that normal?
Both without EQ.

oohmygod

Reaction score
I am somehow restricted due to spotify. Sticking with my iphone now

rickysio

Master Member
Reaction score
I own the Oppo HA-2 amp and also the DX90.
Also confused on which to use sometimes.

I normally would treat my DX90 like a portable HDD with songs stored on it.
And use the HA-2 paired with my iP6+ when playing back music from Spotify or Apple Music.

For some reason I find the single sabre chip HA-2 to sound better than my DX90. Is that normal?
Both without EQ.

The HA-2 has a lot more space to play around with, and doesn't have to deal with a noisy LCD display.

porcu

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeah. But uses the same sabre chip as dx90.
Although dx90 has two chips instead of one!!
Really confusing for me always.

Dx90 works really well with RHA-T20.
Now thinking whether to hoot Dunu DN1000 or 2000 or not.
Nowadays collecting exotic iems.

ritvik123

Reaction score

Implementation of the DAC seems to be more important the number of physical chips used in a device.

That said all these manufactures need to stop releasing new DAPs every week! So hard to make up my mind. Sony just released the NW-ZX100, think they ditched a touch screen and android resulting in some very impressive battery....if their spec sheet is to be believed.

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/walkman/nw-zx100-series/specifications

Will probably head down to Jaben and see what their Comex deal for the PAW 5000 is.

Anyone aware of other DAP or portable AMP/DAC deals at Comex?

rickysio

Master Member
Reaction score

Dx90 works really well with RHA-T20.
Now thinking whether to hoot Dunu DN1000 or 2000 or not.
Nowadays collecting exotic iems.

The main issue with comparing the DX90 and HA-2 is that the DX90 has to pack a lot more hardware into a limited space, in order for power supply for the SoC, display (LCDs are notoriously noisy electrically), etc, whereas the HA-2 has relatively a lot more PCB space to optimise for just the DAC and amp section.

ritvik123

Reaction score
The main issue with comparing the DX90 and HA-2 is that the DX90 has to pack a lot more hardware into a limited space, in order for power supply for the SoC, display (LCDs are notoriously noisy electrically), etc, whereas the HA-2 has relatively a lot more PCB space to optimise for just the DAC and amp section.

Would coupling a phone with a dac/amp (stacked touching each other) create a similar scenario with the signals the phone picks up or transmits?

I've read that having your phone in flight mode with the Oppo HA-2 reduces noise significantly, the user was referring to use with the Samsung S6 but didn't have this issue with other phones.

rickysio

Master Member
Reaction score
Phone caused noises are mainly due to RF interference, so it's heavily dependent on the shielding.

ritvik123

Reaction score
DAP wise: PAW5000, DX90 etc

Picked up with the PAW 5000 today :)

Sounds pretty good. Liked it better x5ii and thought it was on par with the AK100ii.

Anyone aware of good deals for MicroSDXC cards?

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.