reshell westone 4 or buy w 40

joncham72

Reaction score
hi all

one side of my 4 year old westone 4 recently died - i think the cable was accidentally tugged a bit too hard and it got disconnected from the drivers.

Since i have already RMA-ed once (and also because the 2 year warranty period is over), i was wondering if i should get the w 40 as a replacement or if i should reshell my westone 4.

thanks!

BlurRhino

Reaction score
I am westone 4 user for 4 years too. Have you tried the westone 40? I think it sound very differently from the older version and one i did not like.

To reshell, you really need to make sure the problem arise from the loose cable and not the drivers. Anyway at the price range of the w40, there are alot of interesting models in the market so do try them out before deciding. :)

lunarsong

Reaction score
Reshelling has some risk because it changes the sound signature, if u don't mind.

buy w40 if u like its sound, or perhaps u can try other brands with the similar price range

joncham72

Reaction score
Why don't u get customs?

please correct me if I'm wrong, but i am under the impression that a custom with a comparable standard to the w40 should cost more than a w40?

deciding to go for universal iem also because I've got some amazon vouchers that i need to use...

joncham72

Reaction score
I am westone 4 user for 4 years too. Have you tried the westone 40? I think it sound very differently from the older version and one i did not like.

To reshell, you really need to make sure the problem arise from the loose cable and not the drivers. Anyway at the price range of the w40, there are alot of interesting models in the market so do try them out before deciding. :)

i thought the w40 was just the updated version of westone 4 so it should sound the same??

how do i make sure that the problem arises from the loose cable and not the drivers?

i still prefer westone IEMs... love their customer service hahaha and besides, I'm studying in the UK now and there aren't any places near me where i can audition other models

RealSpark

Reaction score
they are totally different approach IMHO. Reshell is a good way bring an old ear piece into life again.

GotBetrayed

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
please correct me if I'm wrong, but i am under the impression that a custom with a comparable standard to the w40 should cost more than a w40?

deciding to go for universal iem also because I've got some amazon vouchers that i need to use...

No? There are customs that cost lower and the sound quality is comparable. Don't always think that expensive = good/better. In iems, more drivers doesn't mean better also, it's the tuning. Do go and audition customs and u will get what I mean.

weng

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

It depends. Can be more, can be less. If the sound doesn't appeal to you, how cheap or how expensive also no meaning.

i thought the w40 was just the updated version of westone 4 so it should sound the same??

how do i make sure that the problem arises from the loose cable and not the drivers?

i still prefer westone IEMs... love their customer service hahaha and besides, I'm studying in the UK now and there aren't any places near me where i can audition other models

Swap the R and L see if the got sound no sound flips over.

joncham72

Reaction score
It depends. Can be more, can be less. If the sound doesn't appeal to you, how cheap or how expensive also no meaning.

Swap the R and L see if the got sound no sound flips over.

swap the R and L? i can't swap it unless the cables can be detached right? or are we on different wavelengths...

i think i might just go for a universal IEM again because i have amazon vouchers to spend before i leave the UK

BlurRhino

Reaction score
The old w4 cable is non detachable. Ya sorry i cant think of a way to test whether the problem is with drivers or cables, basically its a leap of faith if u send for reshell.

weng

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
swap the R and L? i can't swap it unless the cables can be detached right? or are we on different wavelengths...

i think i might just go for a universal IEM again because i have amazon vouchers to spend before i leave the UK
Oh yours is not the removable cable version ah? Then... just gotta try make make the cable see whether can get any intemittent sound. And like what blurrhino said, if you go reshell it's a risk of you ending up with dead drivers anyway. Sound may change also even if reshell can be done (not dead drivers), so perhaps better to just go for a new iem.

joncham72

Reaction score
Oh yours is not the removable cable version ah? Then... just gotta try make make the cable see whether can get any intemittent sound. And like what blurrhino said, if you go reshell it's a risk of you ending up with dead drivers anyway. Sound may change also even if reshell can be done (not dead drivers), so perhaps better to just go for a new iem.

i tried to see if there was intermittent sound by fiddling with the part near the audio jack and also the part that connects the cable to the drivers - there was still no sound at all

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.