HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

The Sony Walkman Z Resource Thread (first impressions + reviews)

Like Tree126Likes
Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-04-2012, 09:36 PM   #706
High Supremacy Member

eliteFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 10:24 PM   #707
Master Member

2 64gb? one red and one black?
Old 30-04-2012, 10:45 PM   #708
High Supremacy Member

uh huh... only the red belongs to me

eliteFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 10:46 PM   #709
Banned

NWZ1070 red on sales in electronic bazaar
stevenlovesummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 11:06 PM   #710
Arch-Supremacy Member

u might even consider cowon z2, though it is even newer and not much reviews or comparison. in short, size wise much better (unless you want big screen for video), screen wise sony is nicer. SQ and UI wise, not that sure but might not differ so much.
I thought Cowon Z2 screen should be nicer since it's AMOLED instead of Sony Z TFT ?
Old 30-04-2012, 11:21 PM   #711
Master Member

- sound signature/synergy with existing phones dun match expectation
The only reason why I haven't buy one from any seller yet...
aerolord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 11:40 PM   #712

I am getting a pair of Atrios this week, dunno how the synergy is with the player.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:07 AM   #713
Arch-Supremacy Member

Whoa, haven't checked back the forums the past few days as I was busy, didn't know the Z1000 Walkman thread got moved over here, until I saw the Portables PMP forum shutting dwn stickied notice. Anyways this is a gd move imo, as it will prolly yield more traffic for this thread and there will be more active discussions frm now on?

Anyway just to address a few unanswered posts prev on this thread...

I am not doubting the moderator, just wanna know the rationale behind it.
It's because the other PMP forum section is closing down soon, prob it's just the HWZ admins decision for the forum's own gd in the long run in order to reduce the forums running resources. Anyways it has been announced under a stickied notice as seen here over at that forum section, so nt too sure why u are questiong the mod's rationale behind this.

For sure it's certainly not just because Vulpix is using this Sony product, thus for the shifting of these threads over to the headphones/IEM section.

So chill lah bro.

Have yet to try a z-series but own an x-series.

From the info gathered so far, the z-series is more neutral and analytical, versus
the x-series is warmer sounding and more musical.
The Z is not made for the mainstream one, the bass is not "bloated out" like most of their older players. I find the bass sufficient for my use and enjoy how tight and punchy it is.
I dont feel the need to EQ the walkman Z.. probably its one of the portables with better accuracy. It doesnt over amplify the bass like some of the mainstream players out there.
Like what both Vulpix/Bloodaddict have shared with their own personal findings, yes personally thru my own IEMs I also do not find a lack or a drastic need to equalize my listening gear in order to enjoy my songs on my own NW-Z1070.

I'm nt exactly sure whats the definition of mainstream listening preferences or players though as all along i hated overly-bassy gears when it comes to headphones or IEMs, but like I've shared b4 in some of my prev discussion posts, the NW-Z1000 series are considered a largely neutral/transparent DAP source, that brings the listener closer or more accurately to the actual recording quality of the CD's original recording, that's usually meant to be heard in that way by the recording engineers/producers. The realism of strings and percussion instruments found in a huge, well-recorded orchestral track is very very staggering, IMO words cannot just sum up simply how I felt in terms of my listening experience, of the overall SQ I'm getting out of the Sony Z1070, compared to my previously-owned DAPs so far. Like someone has shared b4, those albums that you once thought you were well-acquainted with, after listening to it many donkey times on yr prev MP3 player. After experiencing the same music again on my Z1070, I suddenly get introduced to a whole new perspective/definition of listening experience out of the new Walkman Z series.

I'm not sure abt that monochrome dude who said he seems to derive more listening satisfaction out of his prev A850 series, but from my knowledge of Sony DAP products, the A850 Walkman series was nv distributed in US or SE Asia for retail sale except for the Japan market, and from my own experience it's correct to say the prev A series has a warmer and darker tonality in terms of the bottom-end, coupled with a V-shaped like IEM this could be 1 of the few main reasons why he felt the A850 series to be much more enjoyable compared to his Z1000 series. What I can advise is if you like to listen to V-shaped sounding signature in yr songs, it's prolly better to get an IEM with that kind of signature to compensate with yr listening preference, or by going the non-purist route of EQ-ing via a parametric EQ software, like the 10-band one found in PowerAmp app.

More often that not, it's often preferred by most regular audiophile/hobbyists out there that their own desktop amp/DAC source is as neutral/transparent as much as possible, but if you have lurked ard Head-fi long enough like me though I don't exactly post there very often, there are also plenty of hardcore ppl among the community out there who simply prefer a warm/tubey sound sig out of their own gear equipments, and these grp of people are people who usually prefer a colored sound. (meaning they don't care abt whether the stuff they listen is as accurate to the actual recording's quality/source, as long as it sounds more musical to them, it's all good for them)

Of course, I would like to emphasize in terms of this hobby, theres no such thing as a right or wrong sound signature actually. If you have always preferred a warmer/darker-sounding player, then the NW-Z1000 might not be a gd choice for you. In fact I have came across certain chinese discussions over at some other forums, there are actually ppl who simply preferred the Walkman X series to the Z series themselves, and these are usually the grp of people whom I noticed have also quite warm-sounding headphone gears under their own possession.

Just sharing some of my own personal observations that's all.
皆さん、やめないで! Always believe in yourself, you can do it! We'll meet again soon.
Haonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:13 AM   #714
Arch-Supremacy Member

Would be nice to have a vaja case for Sony

Vaja - Leather Products

I think there is compromise from Sony to accommodate video features. A format that is smaller and thicker than iphone, with better audio components and better ergonomic external controls as well as well thought software is what I hope from an mp3 player. Im fairly please after using power amp and are still learning the features. I'm still bothered by the electric shock thing but haven't been home the past week it checked but that might not have bothered u guys since it didn't happen to the others.

At the moment also considering tdk ba200 and ath ck100 but will only buy after hearing unamplified.
Actually Sony's answer to a DAP product w/o excellent video features would be the A860 series I would assume, as it comes with only a 2.8-inch TFT display made up of 240 x 400 WQVGA resolution pixels. Since nowadays you also have many ppl using their PMP devices equipped with Wifi functionality in order to push music/video content from DLNA-enabled devices in their homes to the DAP itself while outside using popular apps like Spotify/Skifta, you can begin to actually see why Sony created something like the Walkman Z series as it's a much closer competitor product to the Apple iPhone/iPod touch for what it's capable of, while for the A860 series is simply for those people who don't care abt such additional features, and just want an MP3 player that comes with good SQ as well (since it comes coupled with S-master MX and all those Walkman bell/whistles like DSEE/Clear Stereo/Clear Bass functionality.

Regarding Vaja cases, heard abt those leather cases before as mentioned on Pocketable forums among the Sony community, as they did made one for the Vaio P series previously before. I remembered it costs starting frm 180USD bucks for just a case and I have nv really been fanatical/crazy abt leather cases for my gadgets so I didn't pick up interest for it, but I do agree the cases they have produced for the Vaio P sub-notebook and Macbook/iPad tablets on their site are indeed very nice, smells of quality to me.

Regarding BA200/CK100, unfortunately the last time I was at Jaben they didn't had the CK100 demo sets with them anymore, and obviously Stereo doesn't carry them either. According to one of those japanese blogs I came across back in Feb, I believe Audio-technica has alrdy officially discontinued both CK10/CK100 models, so it may be much harder to get now once existing stocks run out in JP. I actually wanted to update abt this under my CK100PRO review thread prev, maybe will update agn tmrw.

Unfortunately since u are using the Walkman Z series now, what I can share with my own listening exp is the CK100 didn't sound as gd out of the hp out, compared to my other existing iems at the moment.

May do some further testing again as I have another external portable amp coming in mid-May, at the moment will just keep u guys in suspense for now lol. And yes my modded japanese Mutou LOD mini-mini has arrived awhile ago, together with the Headporter Gingham pouch, will try GPGT soon!

From what I understand, Elecom one is polycarbonate PET casing, but I think the red one u bought as shown in yr uploaded picture has an aluminium back? Correct me if I'm wrong as I'm going merely by website description since I bought the Clear option instead which is wholly plastic. While for Ray-out brand maybe Vulpix can help ans that, but iirc Ray-out their cases external portion in comprised of rubbery material though also mostly made up of polycarbonate 90%, like the one I bought b4 for my iPod Touch 4G. As for port-caps, yes it's considered an essential buy for me due to our local climate having high humidity levels, and I'm quite sure u have heard of charging issues on iPhones in the past, due to the LSI indicator showing water signs.

Btw, that song on yr Z1070 music app screen is Kana Nishino's Tatoe Donna ni right? You sire have some great taste man, thumbs up for you. Have I ever mentioned that it was also the main TVCM song used in JP? Attached below is the TVCM with the song featuring Kana Nishino in it, since she's now the official spokesperson for their Walkman/PlayYou commercials running in JP now. (last time used to be YUI iirc)

Last edited by Haonan; 01-05-2012 at 03:20 AM..
Old 01-05-2012, 12:07 PM   #715
Master Member

Btw, that song on yr Z1070 music app screen is Kana Nishino's Tatoe Donna ni right? You sire have some great taste man, thumbs up for you. Have I ever mentioned that it was also the main TVCM song used in JP? Attached below is the TVCM with the song featuring Kana Nishino in it, since she's now the official spokesperson for their Walkman/PlayYou commercials running in JP now. (last time used to be YUI iirc)
I've been finding that song title for quite sometime liao. Even can find the title at this forum
aerolord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:34 PM   #716

Everytime I see a long long post, I know confirm is haonan's post.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #717
Master Member

Or weng
racoiaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:39 PM   #718
Arch-Supremacy Member

I've been finding that song title for quite sometime liao. Even can find the title at this forum
Sho sad...boh give face to my CK100PRO review thread sia, thought alrdy mentioned b4 inside my review that Kana Nishino is one of my fav japanese artists liao, cos I'm a regular J-pop listener mar and regularly buy japanese CDs myself. Think I saw one of prev discussed recent thread over at EDMW, u shared before u're into J-pop as well rite?

Mao mao mod mai buwee me leh, ppl is really long long time no drop by liao, so wanted to address a few posts on this thread mar since I had some time last nite. Besides an active and healthy discussion will always contain long posts one mar, afterall this is not some EDMW +1 threads also mar right?

Or weng
?? I see no relation at all, kthxbye.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:45 PM   #719

Mao mao mod mai buwee me leh, ppl is really long long time no drop by liao, so wanted to address a few posts on this thread mar since I had some time last nite. Besides an active and healthy discussion will always contain long posts one mar, afterall this is not some EDMW +1 threads also mar right?
Old 01-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #720
Master Member

@haonan

can share some of the jpop vocals you listen to? kinda interested in starting to listen to some of them, but lack of understanding of japanese language makes my progress slow.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.