Upcoming R2R DAC: Schitt Yggdrasil

xuan87

Reaction score
actually from what I read, R2R also not all pros but also got cons. too technical. So SD also not all cons also got good. Ultimately like IEM 1 dynamic or 10 BA, what comes out the sound must be good and also suits your taste.

Good statement. This holds true for all aspect of audio. Open-back vs closed back headphones, vinyl vs digital, universals vs customs etc...

I'll like to compare the 3 kinds of DACs, D-S, NOS and R2R, one day but for now, I'll target for a R2R DAC.

dqwong

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Good statement. This holds true for all aspect of audio. Open-back vs closed back headphones, vinyl vs digital, universals vs customs etc...

I'll like to compare the 3 kinds of DACs, D-S, NOS and R2R, one day but for now, I'll target for a R2R DAC.

You can target the audiogd dac19 2015 or ref32 or master7. Because it can be set to NOS mode or 4x, 8x Oversampling and all of them are R2R.

Audio-gd has done quite alot of work on the DSP side. If I were to bypass the DSP, the M7 will sound dull.

Last edited:

derazor

Banned
Reaction score
abit "back side itchy" on the teradak pcm63x4 but no reviews and nowhere to test.

Shutterbox

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
how come no one talks about ifi Pro DAC?

I'm keen to see how Yggy compares with ifi Pro DAC

dqwong

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
abit "back side itchy" on the teradak pcm63x4 but no reviews and nowhere to test.

I would rather go for the audiogd dac19. It has the same DSP as the master7 which is quite important for the crystal like sound signature.

dqwong

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
how come no one talks about ifi Pro DAC?

I'm keen to see how Yggy compares with ifi Pro DAC

It's not a fair comparsion interms of pricing or market(one is a pure DAC, the other is a All in One DAC+Headamp/preamp)

Yggy is hybrid Analog Devices R2R/String DAC, while Ifi is based off a hybrid R2R/Sigma Delta Burr brown designed(Pre Ti inquisition) PCM1793. One is a no-expense spared for sound quality design, while the one tries to combine best of each design into one chip.

Imho, if you seek the best sound/design, you should separate DAC component from the headphone amp inself. Reason?

1) Seperate Dedicated Power supply for each component
2) Reduced EMF/RFI inteference

But of course one can argure that you can keep the signal lines shorter if you integrate all into one design.

Last edited:

dqwong

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if you have not read this article, it's worthwhile reading as it explains in detail the differences between R2R and Sigma Delta in more layman(vs electrical engr) terms:
http://ankaudiokits.com/DAC-RR2-Part1.pdf

If you listen to a saxophone with an R2-R DAC you are going to pick up all the subtle nuances
associated with this instrument
– the attack , the timbre, the decay etc these subtle nuances that
immediately allow the brain to identify the instruments nuances that are critical to an audiophile

Sigma Delta, Computer Synthesized sound
yamaha-synthesizer-keyboard.jpg

R2R, individual note generated
Steinway_Grand_Piano_Iron_Plates_and_Strings.jpg

Last edited:

xuan87

Reaction score
You can target the audiogd dac19 2015 or ref32 or master7. Because it can be set to NOS mode or 4x, 8x Oversampling and all of them are R2R.

Audio-gd has done quite alot of work on the DSP side. If I were to bypass the DSP, the M7 will sound dull.

I was initially targeting the Audio-gd DAC19 as it seems like a pretty good deal. r2r for 750usd.

However now, I think I'll go for the emotiva DC-1 first, and a r2r DAC at a later stage. I'm praying now that in the future, Schiit will release a r2r dac card for their DACs, using their experiences from designing the Yggdrasil.

mwt_loke

Reaction score
Hi,

Just to share i emailed kingwa abt the new AudioGd DAC 19 10th annivessary edition. The hardware improvement is a lot. As a single ended DAC, it sounds close to Master 7 according to him. The USB32 implementation is good and will not see noticeable improvement is used an external HDMI to I2S converter. Seems like a bargain as I am using it to my single-ended RCA preamp and poweramp stereo..might pull the trigger....

dqwong

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Just to share i emailed kingwa abt the new AudioGd DAC 19 10th annivessary edition. The hardware improvement is a lot. As a single ended DAC, it sounds close to Master 7 according to him. The USB32 implementation is good and will not see noticeable improvement is used an external HDMI to I2S converter. Seems like a bargain as I am using it to my single-ended RCA preamp and poweramp stereo..might pull the trigger....

From my email conversations with kingwa, I find him to be honest and very prompt in his replies. If he said its close to the master 7 it should be. Considering its 1/3rd the cost of m7, it's really a steal.

mwt_loke

Reaction score
only as a single ended DAC it is close..but it your matching gears are balanced and with ACSS is different level...

dqwong

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
only as a single ended DAC it is close..but it your matching gears are balanced and with ACSS is different level...

Audigd Acss Amp/preamp is pretty expensive stuff.. Rca good enough unless you plan to run balanced gear.

My experience with ACSS is that it really does provides a true neutral sound for those seeking the least coloration from cable/interconnect.

mwt_loke

Reaction score
this is an older version...according to kingwa the new version is a big improvement

mwt_loke

Reaction score
Hi,

I have made the purchase. According to Kingwa improvement over previous DAC19DSP version is substantial. The changes according with my email exchange with Kingwa are :-

"
There are a lot different design on the DAC19.
1, The USB had support up to 192K 32bit (latest USB32 module)
2, The newer DSP software design (same as Master 7) make the sound more detail and neutral.
3, The analog output had the parts assemble on board but the older version had the modules assemble.
4, The all parts had the class A power supply but the older version had the linear for the digital parts.

"

The performance is close to Master 7 single ended output.

Will post my impression.

dqwong

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This is not the anniversary version

No one has posted the Anv edition review yet. So this is the closest you will get of an impression, if the review of the older model is any indicator, then the newer improved model will be even better. Also the review mentions the sound of ACSS. Must say the review strikes the same chord with what my experience with the top tier master 7 and also the ACSS has been.

derazor

Banned
Reaction score
No one has posted the Anv edition review yet. So this is the closest you will get of an impression, if the review of the older model is any indicator, then the newer improved model will be even better. Also the review mentions the sound of ACSS. Must say the review strikes the same chord with what my experience with the top tier master 7 and also the ACSS has been.
did u get the master pre-amp?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.