Wireless Bluetooth Headphones Recommendations

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-01-2017, 06:19 PM   #151
High Supremacy Member

Nope somemore it support all this..

Nakedtoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 04:39 PM   #152

In your opinion, the Sennheiser PXC550 sound quality is better than the QC35 and MDR1000x? All three have their pros and cons, sometimes it's really hard to choose.
I finally published my personal comparison of 5 headphones:
  1. Bose Q35
  2. Plantronics BackBeat PRO 2
  3. Sony MDR-1000x
  4. Sennheiser PXC 550
  5. FIIL Diva

Sennheiser PXC 550 sound is better in the treble department, bright and sizzling, but ANC is not so great. QC35 ANC is still unbeatable, but Sony MDR-1000X ANC sounds more natural meaning it doesn't have that deafening silence feeling. It also has more features than Bose.

If you want to judge solely on ANC, then it's Bose. If you want audio quality, then it's Sennheiser. Take Sony if you like the added features compared to the others.

Plantronics is not so good in ANC but audio quality is very youthful and eargasmic. FIIL is on-ear, normal ANC but compact and I like that I can listen to both music and ambient sound at the same time.

Full review: http://musicphotolife.com/2017/01/be...ones-reviewed/
Old 28-01-2017, 04:52 PM   #153

Anyway, since this is a wireless Bluetooth thread, I thought to ask the experienced users here about the sound quality of Bluetooth versus wired... for these high end headphones like from Sony, Bose, etc, does the wireless sound the same as wired? Cos I noticed as a shop around for an ANC set, they are all Bluetooth 4.0. I tried the Marshall Major headphones at Tangs before... the wired and the wireless... the wireless just sounded so bad... not sure if it's cos the Marshall set didn't implement Bluetooth well or cos there were lots of other Bluetooth signals around... what's your opinion?
If you try both and can't tell the difference, then you are safe. I think the reason for the sound difference is got to do with the sound signature of the makers. Meaning, having flat bass or muffled highs has nothing to do with Bluetooth. However, if you notice distortion or compression, then yes it might have to do with the Bluetooth codec.

Right now the latest commercial codec is 4.2 (5.0 is latest but not common yet), but doesn't mean lower versions are lousy. I find that Bluetooth audio are sensitive to source interference. If you run multiple BT devices at the same time (e.g. BT keyboard, smartwatch), chances are the audio might have slight distortion. Also, sometimes it depends on which version the audio device connects to. Not all audio devices can manually select the best quality connection, and best quality equates to shorter range (think Wi-Fi band). If you suddenly find the audio is distorted, then try to unpair and re-pair again.

End of day, BT quality has a lot of factors, including source device. In general, most BT headphones are built to deliver clean audio, so if you hear distortion and noise, most likely it is compatibility problems.
Old 29-01-2017, 09:50 AM   #154
High Supremacy Member

1. Bose Q35
  2. Plantronics BackBeat PRO 2
  3. Sony MDR-1000x
  4. Sennheiser PXC 550
  5. FIIL Diva

Sennheiser PXC 550 sound is better in the treble department, bright and sizzling, but ANC is not so great. QC35 ANC is still unbeatable, but Sony MDR-1000X ANC sounds more natural meaning it doesn't have that deafening silence feeling. It also has more features than Bose.

If you want to judge solely on ANC, then it's Bose. If you want audio quality, then it's Sennheiser. Take Sony if you like the added features compared to the others.

Plantronics is not so good in ANC but audio quality is very youthful and eargasmic. FIIL is on-ear, normal ANC but compact and I like that I can listen to both music and ambient sound at the same time.

Prior to my purchase, I had tested the Bose QC35 and Sony MDR-100x.
they are very good headset, QC35 noise cancelling (NC) is almost 2nd to none...while the Sony set has great NC and sound quality ...... price are also on the high side

Not really keen to spend 4xx on a pair of headphones...

The next batch that I had tried was the Sony MDR-770BN and Planktronics Backbeat Pro 2...
The Sony set NC was only so-so...as it was mentioned in several review forum... but I found the sound quality was not so dynamic....still I wanted to get it during the Sony Fair in Dec 2016 which had 20% discount...but it was sold out everywhere from local shops to changi airport.

Finally settled for the Plantronic backbeat pro 2.. sound quality was much better than the MDR-770BN... NC is acceptable ( had used it in several long flight in the last 3 weeks))....I am sure the QC35 and MDR-100x will be in another league.

In short, those with no budget constraint in getting a wireless ANC headset....just audition QC35, MDR-100x and the Sennheiser unit...maybe add on B&O H8 which has ANC too.

for those who don't want to spend lesser and don't mind certain compromise on the NC,,,, backbeat pro 2 will be an option...but it kind of bulky compares to other..but I am ok with it....for now....lolx.
cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 10:00 AM   #155
Supremacy Member

If you try both and can't tell the difference, then you are safe. I think the reason for the sound difference is got to do with the sound signature of the makers. Meaning, having flat bass or muffled highs has nothing to do with Bluetooth. However, if you notice distortion or compression, then yes it might have to do with the Bluetooth codec.

Right now the latest commercial codec is 4.2 (5.0 is latest but not common yet), but doesn't mean lower versions are lousy. I find that Bluetooth audio are sensitive to source interference. If you run multiple BT devices at the same time (e.g. BT keyboard, smartwatch), chances are the audio might have slight distortion. Also, sometimes it depends on which version the audio device connects to. Not all audio devices can manually select the best quality connection, and best quality equates to shorter range (think Wi-Fi band). If you suddenly find the audio is distorted, then try to unpair and re-pair again.

End of day, BT quality has a lot of factors, including source device. In general, most BT headphones are built to deliver clean audio, so if you hear distortion and noise, most likely it is compatibility problems.
Hi thanks for the feedback! Actually I played back my music (320 kbps, ripped from CD, and 128 kbps downloaded from Youtube - for comparison) from a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 mobile phone. I wanted to check how the Bluetooth and wired headphones sounded with a good quality source, and an inferior quality source. When I tried the Marshall Major headphones wired version, I had full and rich sound. I played back Adele's 'Rolling in the Deep'. I could hear most if not all the nuances in her voice and instruments with the wired version. But when I played the same track back using the same model Marshall Major headphones Bluetooth version, the track was very muddy. Lots of stuff were muffled, and Adele's voice was obviously less distinct. The quality difference was so startling that I spent a good 20 min listening to both headphones and over various tracks, pop, gospel, rock and classical. The same difference was heard on all the various tracks. That kind of sealed my impression of Bluetooth headphones... but I wasn't sure if it was due to the headphones or my phone or the environment... so I thought I should ask here again... this test was done at the Tangs store at Orchard Road. The store was relatively empty at that time... the headphones section was actually empty except for me and the few staff milling around...

Not sure what gives... but I would test again... cos wireless is really super convenient...

And where can I get that Sony MDR-ZX110NC... sigh... more elusive than a unicorn...
Teo Ming Ern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 10:06 AM   #156
Supremacy Member

SNIP

Thanks for the review!
Old 29-01-2017, 10:10 AM   #157
Arch-Supremacy Member

Bluetooth 4 or 5 didn't state codecs. it talks about data transfer rate. none of the headset states it is using PCM in Bt Core or actually using A2DP. if A2DP again it state it can use vendor specific codecs since 2015.

Bt 5 has a longer range and can transfer faster speed, but improvement gears towards IoT. BT4 mainly on BT LE for fitness stuff.

just read BT SIG.
https://www.bluetooth.com/specificat...specifications

Hi thanks for the feedback! Actually I played back my music (320 kbps, ripped from CD, and 128 kbps downloaded from Youtube - for comparison) from a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 mobile phone. I wanted to check how the Bluetooth and wired headphones sounded with a good quality source, and an inferior quality source. When I tried the Marshall Major headphones wired version, I had full and rich sound. I played back Adele's 'Rolling in the Deep'. I could hear most if not all the nuances in her voice and instruments with the wired version. But when I played the same track back using the same model Marshall Major headphones Bluetooth version, the track was very muddy. Lots of stuff were muffled, and Adele's voice was obviously less distinct. The quality difference was so startling that I spent a good 20 min listening to both headphones and over various tracks, pop, gospel, rock and classical. The same difference was heard on all the various tracks. That kind of sealed my impression of Bluetooth headphones... but I wasn't sure if it was due to the headphones or my phone or the environment... so I thought I should ask here again... this test was done at the Tangs store at Orchard Road. The store was relatively empty at that time... the headphones section was actually empty except for me and the few staff milling around...
BT can never beat wired. if U have lossless format going thru BT it is decoded and encoded then past thru PCM. info is lost and it become lossy.

unless device is streaming data to headset and decode the original codec, U will never get same quality over BT.
Snoweagle likes this.

Last edited by patryn33; 29-01-2017 at 10:19 AM..
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 11:34 AM   #158
Supremacy Member

I see... so then I will avoid using Bluetooth connections... for music... for movies might be ok on flight...
Old 30-01-2017, 09:12 AM   #159

Prior to my purchase, I had tested the Bose QC35 and Sony MDR-100x.
they are very good headset, QC35 noise cancelling (NC) is almost 2nd to none...while the Sony set has great NC and sound quality ...... price are also on the high side

Not really keen to spend 4xx on a pair of headphones...

The next batch that I had tried was the Sony MDR-770BN and Planktronics Backbeat Pro 2...
The Sony set NC was only so-so...as it was mentioned in several review forum... but I found the sound quality was not so dynamic....still I wanted to get it during the Sony Fair in Dec 2016 which had 20% discount...but it was sold out everywhere from local shops to changi airport.

Finally settled for the Plantronic backbeat pro 2.. sound quality was much better than the MDR-770BN... NC is acceptable ( had used it in several long flight in the last 3 weeks))....I am sure the QC35 and MDR-100x will be in another league.

In short, those with no budget constraint in getting a wireless ANC headset....just audition QC35, MDR-100x and the Sennheiser unit...maybe add on B&O H8 which has ANC too.

for those who don't want to spend lesser and don't mind certain compromise on the NC,,,, backbeat pro 2 will be an option...but it kind of bulky compares to other..but I am ok with it....for now....lolx.
Great choice! BackBeat Pro series is value for money and the audio is really enjoyable.
musicsg_com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:40 AM   #160

I have been using new Bose BT sport earphone and quite enjoying it. I tried Jabra one and Plantronics before this. Besides from the quality of the sound, Bose one has quite larger signal receiving range and notably faster in connecting to my phone compared to products I tried. This may sound small points but really makes life different while using these at home.
poongwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:17 PM   #161

any recommendations if i juz want to get a bt earphone for when i am working out under $100 or abit over shud be ok.

tks in advance
Old 03-02-2017, 12:47 PM   #162

any recommendations if i juz want to get a bt earphone for when i am working out under $100 or abit over shud be ok.

tks in advance
I'm using AfterShokz Trek Titanium mainly for outdoor cardio purpose..almost for a year still happy with it. The Mee Audio new X8 is around $100++ look quite good value but didn't have a chance to check it out yet.
Trueblue82 likes this.
musicdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 12:29 PM   #163

For the backbeat pro 2 is it international warranty? Meaning if I get from oversea I can claim warranty in sg. Cause I know sg has a distro and am not sure how that works for international warranty.
tazzi80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:08 AM   #164

For the backbeat pro 2 is it international warranty? Meaning if I get from oversea I can claim warranty in sg. Cause I know sg has a distro and am not sure how that works for international warranty.
Local service centre for Plantronics only support local purchases.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:34 PM   #165

I'm using AfterShokz Trek Titanium mainly for outdoor cardio purpose..almost for a year still happy with it. The Mee Audio new X8 is around $100++ look quite good value but didn't have a chance to check it out yet.
i am narrowing my choice now to Mee, but i saw got X7, X8 model , any difference?
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.